New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

60G seriously long planted

Started by Brine, March 17, 2012, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

I have been playing around with this idea for a while and so far the experiment seems to be working out. I really like the proportions of the 125G I had last year but it was just too much trouble to work on and finally when I sold it it was trouble to dismantle and move. I decided to try to use a number of smaller tanks to achieve a similar look and feel.
I purchased three 20 gallon long tanks used for $25 each and started to work. The plan was to place them end to end thereby replicating the proportions of the 125....that is to say long and shallow. Then by DIY overflows plumbing them together. I built a stand along one wall of my room and while I was at it put some lights behind the tanks in hopes that they might create a sort of sunset effect at night.
I purchased some substrate and plants and filters at the auction and here is the result so far.

pm

I don't see a pic (I assume you meant to post one).  Please post as soon as you can, this will be a very interesting build.  :)

Brine

having some internet issues here....trying to post

Brine

Brine

substrate and rocks in the centre tank

Brine

some of the plants awaiting tank completion

Brine

DIY overflow thermoforming experiment results

Brine

pm

Is the plan to do one flowing aquascape (similar to, but grander than this: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show100.html)?

Brine

Quote from: pm on March 17, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
Is the plan to do one flowing aquascape (similar to, but grander than this: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show100.html

something like that ... a unified feeling over the entire length...90 inches
also i fixed the link you posted so the one just above works now

exv152

What kind of substrate are you using?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Brine

Quote from: exv152 on March 17, 2012, 08:45:25 PM
What kind of substrate are you using?
it is a combination of ecocomplete and red fluorite (I think) I bought it at the auction in unmarked containers.

exv152

I especially like the video of you dancing, always good to see a fellow aquarist having a good time while tinkering with his tanks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Your tanks are coming along well.  Having the three tanks in a row to make a very long tank is an interesting concept.  I really like those little threadfins.  What pretty fish.