New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

please remove thread

Started by sniggir, April 18, 2018, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

Hey all just thought people would like to see us build what I think is going to be a very cool set up!

So to give a bit of history to this I have mostly been the passionate one in the hobby and my lovely wife Liz has kinda just put up with me  8)
But over the course of the past couple years she has really grown into this wonderful hobby! Liz really enjoys breeding so we are going to set the fish room up so we can both enjoy! I  will keep u guys posted as it develops we should be starting construction soon!

Any questions or advice always welcome!
Pat&Liz
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

th3budd

Looking forward to the updates. Don't forget the pics!

sniggir

So we are brain storming on room set up we will have a blue print ready later this week! It is shaping up nicely atm one bonus is the room is realy close to where our water comes in
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

matttimms49

Super exciting, look forward to seeing updates :)

Jody

Hi Sniggir,

Great news. Fish rooms are a lot of fun to set up and design.
If  you have any questions, feel free to ask, I have done a couple of them in the past, and there is always stuff I would change or modify after I have them running for a bit.
One of the things to think of when designing, give yourself lots of working room, both above tanks, and in the areas around them. Leave room for lights and filters.
Also, think about that power you are going to need for the tanks. It may be worth getting a dedicated circuit or two depending on the size of the room you are doing.

Jody

sniggir

Jody your input is always welcome I know we are going with 2 deticated circuits for sure and alot of wiring lol

limmer

Great to hear.
We went to a talk last year at CAOAC of a husband and wife (Eric Bodrock and Regina Spotti).
They run All Oddball Aquatics. 
They are quite the couple. Each with their own tanks.  I think she had 70 tanks of her own at the time.
Something for you and your wife to aspire to.

Daren

Sounds awesome. I am about half way through building phase one of my fish breeding/grow out/room.

I have a little bit more construction but next phase will be irrigation, over flow, sump and some aquaponics

sniggir

Thx Peter, Liz is supper excited about this!

Nice Daren hope it all goes well, I am looking at aquaponics aswell lol grow my own lettuce and clean my water sounds great to me!

sniggir

So a bit of a Update on our planing for the room. We are planning on 2 main walls the bigger wall is going to house 24 40 gallon breeder tanks this system will be fed by a 300 gallon sump that will have a trickle filter and we are planning on still running Sponge filters in each tank to increase our Bio and also to keep the water very oxygen rich, we are also going to try a bit of aquaponics  to help manage the nitrates. the next wall is going to be for Fry and to start growing out and for some smaller species that will be comfortable in 20 gallon. so will be another separate system with 150 gallon sump, and will be feeding 20 20 gallon and 20 15 gallon tanks. For our back wall we will have 6 too 8 150?200 gallon rubber made toffs for our main grow out these might be plumbed into the main wall for simplicity sake I am still playing with running a UV filter as a support.

Sorry I havn't put up our plans yet but we are still working out how we want to proceed with electrical and such plus we are planning out the possibility of a automated water change system to make things more simple in the long run

any comments or questions are always welcome this is going to be a fun build but alot of work :)

Pat/Liz 

sniggir

Small update I was able to acquire 15, 25 gal tanks with a really cool foot print 24L x 16w x 12 tall so got a good start on the fry tanks/juvie tanks. Now I have a question for those with fish rooms I was originally planing on running the system with a closed loop for air and having all the tanks plumbed in line aswell with a central sump. but still will have a sponge filter in each tank for added bio and air. I also will have it so each tank can be shut off from the sytem and just run with sponge filter... or should I keep the tanks fully separate?

Pat

sry no pics but when I get all the tanks will post our make shift room while we wait on the renos to be done

sniggir

Hey All! so it is looking like I will finally be able to get started some plans have changed as they always do :) I am just waiting on the building inspector to come and inspect the work that we did to re finish our basement!... on the plus side during the reno we upgraded our power too 220... and we upgraded our panel so the fish room has 4 dedicated circuits   ;D.... we are going to be building in stages as I will have to wait for the BA boxing day sale for the 75gal tanks to be on sale  :).... but I have most of the rest ready and on my back porch... My neighbors must think I am nuts!
So far this is where I am at equipment wise

15 25 gal
4 20 gal these are for fry and first stage grow out
6 75 gal for the first wall that we are putting together these will be our breeding tanks

125 gal
120 gal
195 gal will all be for grow out, mostly for the males that are showing color as we will be keeping the females separated after that point

and that is were we are at moment once the area is inspected and the room is cleaned up I will post pics from start to finish... I still need to purchase another 12 75 gal tanks and then the sumps  ::) So Jody looks like I will be coming to visit you in December lol anyway I can pre order!