New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Update to the Douglas Class Tank

Started by Box Jockey, April 20, 2018, 06:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Box Jockey

Hi everyone  :) just a quick update on the classroom tank OVAS donated.

The guppies and crayfish are doing great! Unfortunately all of the plants are not...
My plan going forward is to use the Walstad method on next year's setup, hopefully that solves some of the problems.

"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Jody

That is great.
Thanks for the update

Jody

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

matttimms49

Thanks for the update. It would be great to get some more informationt about the kids experience with having a tank. Favourite fish? Favourite part of keeping a pet fish? Could be nice so we can share on the club website :)

Slipper

would you like a couple of java ferns for the class tank?

Box Jockey

I will accept any plant donations for the classroom tank :)
thank you!

I dropped off some of the red root floaters I picked up at the auction, with any luck they do ok.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Gilbotron

I always have a ton of hornwort available if you want some.  I throw it out by the bucket full on a monthly basis...

Box Jockey

Just a quick update to the class tank.
The guppies are still multiplying like crazy, all of the plants were all eaten by the crayfish who has doubled in size. The cray is definitely the class favorite, I'm told molting is a classroom event inspiring lots of questions and intrest.

Our biggest achievement from this project may be that some of the kids have taken guppies home to begin aquariums of their own! Future OVAS members?

charlie

Slipper

The guppies getting taken home is exactly what I was thinking too! What a great effect. I am setting up a class tank too, and the plant stocking is a bit of a question to me. I keep almost exclusively rhyzome plants. Aside from jungle val (meh). So I have to decide on some low, low, low light plants.  What kind of crayfish did you stock? That sounds like a cool choice too. But I dont think I will go that route. Probably go with some wild endlers. Maybe something endangered. Anyways great work!  These projects are very fulfilling and appreciated.