New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Low Habrosus Cory aquarium

Started by matttimms49, September 17, 2018, 10:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Found this interesting tank which had nice dimensions for a Habrosus Cory tank. It's the same footprint as a 15 gallon but the height is about half

Hardware:
Hydor 50w heater
Zoo med Nano 10 canister filter
Exo terra small clamp light with LED bulb

Hardscape:
Super Naturals sand
Mopani wood
River stone
Mixture of botanicals from tanksalot and tannin aquatics

Im going to plant some anubias, buce and moss in the cracks between wood and stones. And might throw some small crypts in at a later point.

Let me know what you think guys.

Christianloug

I saw that on Instagram! It looks pretty neat

matttimms49

Thanks Christian, any thoughts on how you would change the scape at all?

fischkopp

Nice setup. I am a big fan of shallow tanks. Find them ideal for the smaller south americans. Habrosus are nice little cory's as well, fun fish to keep. Looking forward to see this in action.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

matttimms49

Was hoping to plant and fill this over the weekend but the power cut took control. Hopefully soon, will update as I move the tank along

charlie

Any progress ?
I've been following and quite impressed so far.

matttimms49

Thanks for the push for an update @Errol  ;)

So far things have been going well with this tank. The original idea was to make a tank that would house just Habrosus Cory. They are a fav of mine and I've had a hard time keeping them in the past so wanted a tank which I could dedicate to them and give them a more natural feeling and hopefully happy home.

A few problems have come up so far. I am finding that a it doesn't take very long to have evaporation exposing the spray bar which means more frequent top ups/water changes. Another problem is also creating a suitable lid for the tank. It is originally a reptile breeder tank there fore came with a slide in mesh lid. I had to custom cut the frame of the lid to fit the intake/outake as I had one habrosus unfortunately take a 'leap of faith'   :(  I do plan on getting custom glass cut so I can view from the top better but as it has to slide into the frame, I need to take time doing the correct measurements.

I'm glad I raised it slightly off my desk as I enjoy sitting and seeing the Cory's school out of the tinted water to the front of the tank at feeding time.

matttimms49

Some more pictures...

I plan on keeping the pH a little lower and hopefully getting these guys to breed eventually.  :)

Any questions or thoughts, I'm happy to chat about the tank :)

Black_Rose

If they are similar to panda cories in their breeding habits, simply doing a water change with cooler water seemed to do the trick for me.
I've had at least a dozen baby pandas so far this year.
These guys are going to give the Endlers I got from Liam a run for their money 😉

Jody

matttimms49

Thanks for the advice @blackrose and thanks Jody

fischkopp

Pretty neat! Now all that's missing are a some apistos ....

:)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Anja

That looks really neat. I love a nice blackwater set-up.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)