New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 breeder dutch hybrid

Started by Kalemh, October 28, 2018, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalemh

Recently I have been hoarding lots of colourful aquarium plants and today is finally the day I got t0 re do my 40 breeder. I call it a dutch hybrid because of the massive piece of eucalyptus root I needed for my bucephalandra.

The main goal was to create a colourful aquarium with lots of reds oranges and other colours.

So here it is after day 1 ill need to keep you guys updated as the scape matures

matttimms49

That is looking awesome! Really look forward to seeing the plants grow in.

What was it like tearing your old Scape down? Was it exciting thinking of new idea you were going ahead with or did you have any regrets when changing the Scape from the old one?

Kalemh

Quote from: matttimms49 on October 28, 2018, 10:05:16 PM
That is looking awesome! Really look forward to seeing the plants grow in.

What was it like tearing your old Scape down? Was it exciting thinking of new idea you were going ahead with or did you have any regrets when changing the Scape from the old one?

Thanks man, tearing it down took a lot of work maybe 2 hours worth because the plants were all being reused but other than that it wasnt bad. I have no regrets at all was getting really bored of the old scape and thought it was time for a change.

Dxpert

Well done! Looks fantastic. Post a few more pictures once it clears up a bit. Looking forward to following the progress.

Regarding the eucalyptus root, it looks great! Where did you get it? I've never used it in a tank before, does it leach tannins? How did you attach the buce?

Kalemh

Quote from: Dxpert on October 29, 2018, 06:07:06 AM
Well done! Looks fantastic. Post a few more pictures once it clears up a bit. Looking forward to following the progress.

Regarding the eucalyptus root, it looks great! Where did you get it? I've never used it in a tank before, does it leach tannins? How did you attach the buce?

I picked up the eucalyptus root at big als they have what looks like a small swimming pool full. Ill update you if it leaches tannins not exactly sure yet. It does take a while to water log I got impatient so I zip tied large rocks to it to hold it down. As for the buce in the top it was all hollow so I threw in some rocks and just pushed the buce in between the crevaces of the wood and the rocks they arent in there very well currently but they cant float up so they should eventually grab a hold.

charlie

Nice work Kalem.
Looking forward to the progress updates as the tank matures.
Thanks for sharing

Slipper

Looks great! That driftwood is beautiful.
What kind of fish are in there?  I think i see a some barbs and a Siamese algea eater?

Kalemh

Quote from: Slipper on November 07, 2018, 05:03:54 PM
Looks great! That driftwood is beautiful.
What kind of fish are in there?  I think i see a some barbs and a Siamese algea eater?

Thanks :) for fish I have schools of harlequin rasboras, silver tip tetras, and dwarf chain loaches but you also did see my siamese algae eaters.

Jeff1192

Looks great....really nice piece of driftwood.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Kalemh

Heres a quick update on the tank. All the plants are doing fine. My alternanthera rosanervig is showing great colours so far but im constantly having to remove lower leaves with algae. I've noticed because of this I am starting to get small side shoots at the bottoms of the plants which will be great for giving it a denser feel. I picked up some Marsilea hirsuta and Blyxa japonica today (Thanks Greg) to fill in areas of the foreground. Dwarf baby tears did not survive could be lack of co2 or light but they never got a real chance as my fish continually ripped them out and I replanted smaller and smaller pieces till I had nothing left. I realized I never mentioned the fish, or plants I have in this tank so here is a list of each.

Fauna:
Harlequin Rasboras
Silver tip Tetras
1 norman's lamp eye killifish
Dwarf Chain Loaches
Siamese Algae Eaters
Otocinclus
Amano Shrimp
Blue carbon rili Shrimp

Flora:
Starogyne Repens
Blyxa Japonica
Marsilea Hirsuta
Rotala Macrandra Mini Butterfly
Rotala Bonsai
Alternanthera Rosanervig
Crypt wendtii tropica
Crypt undulata red
Mermaid weed
Ludwigia palustris
Bacopa caroliniana
Rotala Vietnam H'ra
Pogostemon Erectus
Rotala Nanjenshan
Ammania Gracilis
Bucephalandra Arrogant Blue

Kalemh

https://imgur.com/a/Q5AJVxt

Heres some more current photos of the aquarium. I recently hacked back all the plants regret not getting a photo before hand but I will remember next time for sure. Most plants are doing great am having a couple deficiencies pop up as I wasnt dosing anything for a week during Christmas so the alternanthera rosanervig, Ammania Gracillis and Rotala macrandra mini butterfly are looking a little rough but should bounce back soon. Thanks for taking the time to read (:

charlie

Bob_S

120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

bettabreeder

Unreal set up! What light are you using on your tank?

Kalemh

Im using a 4 bulb t5 ho light fixture with 2 zoomed sun flora bulbs 1 gieseman super purple as well as a standard 6500k bulb

daworldisblack

Its a good looking tank! Jelly!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Kalemh

Hey guys so the tank is still going strong and is super overgrown right now. If anyones interested in buying any of the plants I have shoot me a pm and ill send you a list of everything in the tank with prices.

http://imgur.com/laJQOVp