New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquaponics Questions/Build

Started by Kalinkacat, November 28, 2018, 01:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalinkacat

I have been thinking about building an aquaponics set up ever since I heard the presentation I believe it was last March.  Now that I have moved and am working on the basement, this idea has still been growing (no pun intended) in my head.  Here is my idea and my questions:

I was thinking of using one of my 55/65 gallon tanks, half filling it with water and fish, top half veggies.

Thinking of using PVC pipes to build a support with four legs to hold baskets/containers containing the veggies.  Using my 220 light on top (hence why the tank would only be half full of water giving plants room to grow upwards).

Questions:  Can/Should you use a canister filter the same as you use on the tank?  Thought is to use the spraybar to water the plants in the baskets.  If you use filtration are you defeating the purpose of the fish nutrients feeding the veggies?

Would the constant water from the spraybar drown the plants?

What about water changes?  Can you use dechlorinator?  Do you DO water changes, although I imagine that minimally you would have to add water on occasion so is Prime ok to use?

Should the tank have gravel at the bottom where the fish are or be bare bottomed?

Are the fish ok without getting the lights - especially since they are in the basement where there is no natural light?

What do you use to plant the veggies in (i.e. - dirt, what kind, gravel etc)?

Any ideas would be appreciated, I can't afford to build this soon but the idea is coming together in my head but I need to know if I have to re-think the design aspect of it.

Thanks

sniggir

I am no expert just wanted to say this is going to be a very cool thread and I have been very interested is doing the same.. so as i do my resurch I will def chime in but can't wait to see what our knowledgeable crew come up with!!!!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

tanksalot360

Wonderful to hear you’re thinking of taking the plunge.
Typically, the grow beds are placed on top of the tank, rather built half/half, to maximize your water reserves, then the light would be suspended above. But I don’t see why building a pvc stand would not work as well. It does keep everything contained. But, foliage exposed to the higher humidity may incourage fungus.

Canister filters are fine as a pump/filter, the plants thrive off of the nitrates which require biological filtration to produce. A canister is excellent for holding biomedia and directing the water into a plant bed.

As long as the plant roots are not constantly submerged in water, they are ok. A spray bar is a great idea because it increases oxygenation and can be used to deliver water across the grow bed, a 4-foot spray bar could be made by drilling narrow pvc or sprinkler line.

The fish will receive some ambient light. This lightbcan be on a timer and give the fish a day night cycle that they will adjust too even if it’s reversed from natural daylight.

Prime is okay from my experience. Water top ups will be necessary. Water changes do help considerably as they replace trace elements, especially if you arent supplementing with fertilizer (optional). And after sometime you may want to remove excess milk for aesthetic purposes.

I would add gravel to the bottom of the fish tank  as it looks better, and orients fish to what’s up/down. It can provide some biological filtration as well.

No soil or dirt is used in general it fouls the water and turns to mud. Course gravel (heavy) or expanded clay (hydroton; light weight) is often used. You can also plant into large blocks of mineral wool. You can start from seed or small plants, including crowns/root portions from grocery store produce.

Perhaps a drawing of the design could be posted here?

CC-Slider

Most plants will not do well with their roots constantly in water. So if you are using a Filter canister to pump your water into your plant bed you need a way to drain it quickly to allow the water to drain faster than the canister can pump it in.  Here is a link to a youtube channel that is about aquaponics, and a Bell Siphon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1BQFTaG7c
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

Kalinkacat

Ok, I've attached a drawing of my idea.

Question:  Can aquarium gravel be used for the plants to grow in?  I'm currently using the pool filter gravel in my tanks is that too small?

You mention "remove excess milk", what do you mean by that?

If it is not a good idea to constantly have water going over the plants, what about having the canister filter on a timer working in 2 or 4 hour cycles?  How would that affect the biological bacteria in the filter?

Thanks for the help, like I said, I can't afford to get this together right now but hopefully will be able to in the next 6 months or so.