New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Replacement Aquarium Frames

Started by dabear, April 22, 2018, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabear

Does anybody have any advice on where to buy replacement aquarium frames (the plastic pieces) in the Ottawa area or at least Canada online. I found a few places in the states (e.g., http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/ ) but they don't even ship to Canada. I got my 48x18 tank used and the top frame is cracked and middle support broken off.

Thank you!

tanksalot360

Check with Jody at Big Als.
If no luck, I spoke to Concept aquarium (Calgary) about shipping one, expensive but they were willing.
Let us know how you make out.

Black_Rose

If you don't have any luck locally, one thing I do with US companies that won't ship to Canada  (or the shipping cost is very expensive) is have the product shipped to The UPS Store in Ogdensburg.
Then I'll just drive down and pick it up.

lucius

You could look into eurobracing.  You can source the glass locally without having to go to the US.

dabear

Quote from: tanksalot360 on April 22, 2018, 11:22:07 PM
Check with Jody at Big Als.
If no luck, I spoke to Concept aquarium (Calgary) about shipping one, expensive but they were willing.
Let us know how you make out.
Thank you for the suggestions!

I called Big Als. I don't know who I spoke to but the lady told me they don't sell these. I will contact Concept.

Quote from: Black_Rose on April 23, 2018, 10:27:32 AM
If you don't have any luck locally, one thing I do with US companies that won't ship to Canada  (or the shipping cost is very expensive) is have the product shipped to The UPS Store in Ogdensburg.
Then I'll just drive down and pick it up.
Great thinking! I already got a quote for that from Over the Edge - just trying to find something local/cheaper ;).

Eackone

Not sure if you've considered making your own but if its only for aesthetics it looks fairly simple. And I thought the final result looked pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E2eo-dx-qk
I know the same channel has a DIY aquarium brace for the middle, I'm sure something could be done..

I guess it depends on how much the pre fabricated ones go for.. never really looked into it

dabear

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Concept Aquarium has them for a good price but just like the place in the states, they will fit a tank that is 47 7/8 x 18. I took the top frame off mine and measured it and I'm getting pretty much exactly 48 x 18. It's a Hagan aquarium. Spoke with Jody at Big Al's and they can order one that is wood finish only but I'm still waiting on the dimensions. I've seen the video to make your own if it is just for aesthetics but I'm just afraid that for a tank like that, it is more than just for aesthetics. So I'm pretty much back to square one. I don't want to buy another tank just because I can't get a replacement frame for this one :(.

angelcraze

I've seen ppl de-rim their tanks, and support it with more glass. Just silicone strips of glass the same length of aquarium for support.  Center  cross bar can be glass as well. 

Here's a vid, I think they call it euro-style rimming
https://youtu.be/I9I7TIuY4vg
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

dabear

Quote from: dabear on May 01, 2018, 08:40:07 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions.

Concept Aquarium has them for a good price but just like the place in the states, they will fit a tank that is 47 7/8 x 18. I took the top frame off mine and measured it and I'm getting pretty much exactly 48 x 18. It's a Hagan aquarium. Spoke with Jody at Big Al's and they can order one that is wood finish only but I'm still waiting on the dimensions. I've seen the video to make your own if it is just for aesthetics but I'm just afraid that for a tank like that, it is more than just for aesthetics. So I'm pretty much back to square one. I don't want to buy another tank just because I can't get a replacement frame for this one :(.

Yeah, there is also this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi1b351lsk . I might try to do something like that - will just have to find a place to get the glass and I hope that the brace keeps!

dabear

Hagen support just answered me saying that they don't sell those parts. I'm a little sad since it's just a way to make money for them to buy a new aquarium. Big Al's replied that they might be able to order something in wood finish but it will probably not fit a Hagen since most things don't fit their tanks - guess I know who NOT to buy a tank from in the future :).

angelcraze

Honestly, long deepish tanks without center braces tend to bow (ex my obsolete 33gs).  If you silicone a piece of glass even flat along the top edges (length), it should preform the same as plastic frames.  A brace in the center and I don't think you can go wrong.  A&T glass should be able to cut you some pieces?
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!