New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by dandaman, April 15, 2005, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandaman

In my 33 gallon tank, with all different types of cichlids, i fed my fish last night all seemed to be doing fine.
This morning, i wake up, and one of my tanganikan cichlids(a neolamprologus tretoce..) died, and so did two other of my tanganikan cichlids.(ornatus)
Now i look and i see my tropheus duboisi looking kind of bloat, he is wiggling side to side, and has his head up to the surface of the tank and the rest of his body is kind of hanging down.
This is also happening with my yellow labs.
Please help me before this turns into a disaster.
Any suggestions or coments appreciated.
Dan
80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

JBL

Dan - is there over crowding in this tank? How many filters and water changes? It sounds like ammonia/nitrite. If it is ammonia I have used ammo lock as a TEMPORARY measure as it will instantly render the ammonia harmless.

Could also be a PH "crash"

Let me know or call me.

328iGuy

Do tests of PH, Ammonia, Nirtrite, Nitrate and let us know the results.....

It also wouldn't hurt to do a 50% water change as well ASAP after you test the parameters.

Marc

Let us know if you've done any water changes or filter cleanings in the last week or two.... don't forget to check the water temperature and check the things 328iGuy mentionned.

Marc

dannypd

Quote from: "Marc"Let us know if you've done any water changes or filter cleanings in the last week or two.... don't forget to check the water temperature and check the things 328iGuy mentionned.

Marc

Sounds like a lack of oxygen, then the death of two fish cause the ammonia to spike off the charts.

oenology

Must be the moon - I just had my first loss too this morning - my male Protomelas fenestratus. But thankfully everyone else seems fine.

dandaman

Yup, last night i ended up taking one of the two filters that were on this tank off for my guppie tank.
Fortunately when i got home, everything was fine since i had put in my ac 500 in my 33 lol!
Thanks for the help
55- Planted Communnity
10- Breeding tank

NjOyRiD

sorry for your lost bud :(
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dandaman

55- Planted Communnity
10- Breeding tank

pnmdsz6

i heard somewhere that you should cleanse the tank with salt? I forget who told me this and i dont know if it works with cichlids, nor do i know exactly how to do it.
anyway dan i hope it turns out ok for your fish!

pnmdsz6