New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

africans

Started by NjOyRiD, April 17, 2005, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

with is the diference between Lake Malawie, Lake victoria and lake tang...? thanx
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

328iGuy

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"with is the diference between Lake Malawie, Lake victoria and lake tang...? thanx

Largest difference is water parameters.  8)

luvfishies

And behaviour of the fish ;)

NjOyRiD

ok what are the water chemistry diference and how do i know, jus by looking the fish..where its from?

behavior: is it like peaceful, semi agressive..agressive? does that work like that?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mseguin

You can't really know, just by looking at the fish. There are some characteristic fish, but there are lots of exceptions, from what I've seen. And there's not much left in Lake Victoria, the Nile perch has taken care of that.

maitre007

The thing about african cichlid is that they say there is like 200 different species in each of the lakes.    However the number of different genus are quite smaller.

For example you have you have your basic haps in 50 different types of combination of colors in Lake Victoria and Malawi.  And then you have your pseudotropheus in Malawi which also have 100 different type of combination of colours.

That is why the african cichlids much like the finches have been the perfect animal to ellaborate on darwin theory of evolution.

The tanganikyan cichlids are much smaller than the one in Malawi and Victoria and then tend to stay at the bottom of the aquarium and inside the rocks as opposed to on top of aquarium as do the malawi.

As term of aggressive, it's all relative.  I mean my brichardi are probably the most ruthless specie in my tank but the manifestation of their aggressiveness is not as apparent to to their size.

Then you take my cichlid from victoria, hap c44 and the astosomething nubila.  One again these two species demonstrates the retentive nature of the taxitologist whatever they are call whose responsibility is to attribute a latin name to species.

They are almost identical except when they are really showing off their colours.  They are always fighting.  That is why my nublius has about 20% of the aquarium all to himself.  

In regards to the water parameters ... my take is that unless you have fishes that are taken from the wild ... they adjust to any constant aquarium condition.

NjOyRiD

thanx you very much :) that helped me a lot :)
370g System

NjOyRiD

habitat of those 3 lakes a re the same..just rocks with caves?
370g System

pegasus

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"habitat of those 3 lakes a re the same..just rocks with caves?
Yes