New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New JD Fry!!

Started by s0me, May 01, 2005, 01:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s0me

I just wanted to show you all our new JD fry!

This is our first real bunch that were put into a 10 gallon tank. Do you guys think a 10 gallon will be ok for them? We will be putting them in a 20 gallon once they grow out some more.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Jackdempsey

thats amasing , i have my first set still in eggs right now they should have tails tomorrow , im glad to see alot survived.

good job

NjOyRiD

do you guys remove the parents?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

s0me

Parents are in the 75 gallon.

NjOyRiD

but did you moved them from the fry?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dannypd

They are in a 10 gallon....I hope so :D

s0me

james

Hi
Congradulations
I notice from the pictures that filter intakes are not covered. You should put some kind of netting material over them so you babies won't be sucked up. Or use a sponge filter .
Also uput some snails in the baby tank. They eat the uneatten food and  converts it into nutrients for the babies (snail poop)

James 8)
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

NjOyRiD

james: do you have any other tips for us about fry like that?
370g System

james

Hi
If you want the frys to grow faster. Try to feed them every chance you get, using high protein food. Also make frequent water changes.
That's why a small 10 gal bare tank come in handy. It confines the frys in a small area so  the food can get to them And you save on water doing frequent water changes

I had over 100+ jewel  Cichlids hatch the first week of March. They were so small I could not even see them. After 1 week they had double in size. and have double in size almost evry week.

James 8)
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

dannypd

high protein and cheap is boiled EGG yolk.  It WILL polute the tank quickly, but will REALLY cause a grow spurt!

s0me

Thanks for the advice, I realise the filter needs something to keep the little buggers from getting sucked in, hence why it was not turned on.

On a side note, it appears as though alot of them have died over the course of the night.

I will put one of my snails in there and see if he can contribute to the growth and health of the baby jacks.

s0me

Disregard my last post about them being dead, they were just snoozing in the rocks. Called the wife and she says they are all swimming around like last night.

:)

james

Hi
You will find that with the light off at night they will group together in some corner. Mine Jewel do. And you can not leave the tank to long with no filtration. Like I said a sponge filter is idea for the babies

James 8)
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

s0me

I bought a sponge filter for them. I'll update with new photos as they grow.

Cheers.

JBL

Excellent s0me!!

It's amazing at that age they look like my Port Acra, Angel and Severum fry :) (they all look the same to me ha ha) And yes folks I have another bathch of 70 ~ Severum mostly goldspot!

NjOyRiD

niceeeee
i want some hehe :)
370g System

NjOyRiD

oh..do you think you could help me breed me Turquoise Severum?!?
370g System

JBL

How big are your Severum's? Have a pic?

Port Acara are now about 1" Will post another pic soon.

NjOyRiD

no pics but the size they are at their max!
370g System

JBL

NjOyRiD

on is close to that, 5 years i have it...
my other one is smaller, lile 3 inches
you know what I,ll post some pics, you tell me if they are male or female alright?
370g System

JBL

If 1 is only 3" it's probably too small to mate. My mating pair are about the same size.

I will try to tell male/female.

Sailfin

Quote from: "james"Hi
Congradulations
I notice from the pictures that filter intakes are not covered. You should put some kind of netting material over them so you babies won't be sucked up. Or use a sponge filter .
Also uput some snails in the baby tank. They eat the uneatten food and  converts it into nutrients for the babies (snail poop)

James 8)

Or get a "Mini Whisper filter".     Whisper filters are crappy, but they are great for fry because the intake holes are too small for anything to get sucked up.

s0me

My pair of Jacks have had yet another offspring. I thought rabits mated frequently but holy snap!

More fry in another tank now.

Anyone interested in some youngin's let me know.

Jackdempsey

my jd's mate alot too , i find not as mutch as my convicts though