New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow labs in a 29g

Started by Jim, July 11, 2005, 06:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Hey everyone i havent posted in a while but i have a question.
How many yellow labs can i have in a 29gallon allong with 1 firemouth and a mystery snail?
Just so i don't over stock  :?
Thanks

Mettle

Seeing as how the firemouth itself maxes out at six inches... and that would be mixing African and SA/CA cichlids, ie: old world and new world... I would personally say none. But that's just my opinion.

Jim

I know there has allways been a big "argument" about having SA's mixed with CA's but how many would be appropriate for my tank. Considering the yellow labs get to be ~4" long.

blueturq

Quote from: "Jim"I know there has allways been a big "argument" about having SA's mixed with CA's but how many would be appropriate for my tank. Considering the yellow labs get to be ~4" long.

Mixing certain CA's (Central Americans) with SA's (South Americans) is fine (depending on tank size like anything else!), I think you mean that there is a "big arguement" on mixing SA's with Africans or mixing CA's with Africans. :)

I know this doesn't help you very much in terms of your question, but I just figured i'd clear what you said up, just so it doesn't confuse people (like me... guilty! lol :lol:).

I've read somewhere that labs are insectivores and can handle a higher protein diet compared to other mbuna who should be fed on a strictly "veggie based" or herivorus diet (since they are herbivores).

I have also heard that the rivers of Central America are fairly hard with a high ph that's pretty close to that of the waters in the Rift Lakes.

Also if you scroll down near the bottom of this site here, then you will notice a couple of charts showing fish species and their general pH ranges: http://www.eutechinst.com/techtips/tech-tips36.htm

Which sound very realistic IMO.

Most notably look at the pH ranges for Central America (where firemouths are originally from) and Lake Malawi (where Labs are originally from).

Also Jim, did you not see these two particular species of fish in question (the firemouths and the labs) at the same store? same water?, doing fine? 8).... but I could be wrong though?

Also, it's very likely that these fish are tank raised specimens right? and generally tank raised specimens are more adaptable... am I wrong?... but then again, look at the genetic make-up of these two fish Jim, are you not going to try and at least match these water params or at least come close to it?, see where i'm going with this?

We aren't talking about mixing Wild Caught Discus from the amazon here and trying to mix them with Wild Caught fish from waters with a higher pH are we? :roll:

You know what... even if you were mixing wild caught labs with wild caught firemouths.... look at the water parmaters of these two fish..... so really are you at a loss?, nothing a little crushed coral, regular tank maintenance, and good food can't fix to make them happy. :)

Mettle

I think a bigger issue is the tank size... not water needs. ;)

pegasus

Jim, blueturq said it right. I'm not even worry about the tank raise fish diet of those two fish. I would probably start with 4 labs but would also be ready to move 2 of them as they reach their full size.

Jim

Thanks everyony for the help!
Jim