New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Question

Started by Paladin, August 10, 2005, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

I've recently found that i have a few baby demasoni in my 50 gallon tank and they are about 1/8 - 1/2" in size now.  I was going to pull them out (try to at least....getting them in a 50 gallon is going to be tough) and putting them into a 15 gallon bare tank.  First of all..is this a good idea?  They are growing pretty quickly and i'm wondering it doing this will do more harm then good.  Secondly, i have a yellow lab that is carrying, so i was going to put her in with the demasoni...is this a good idea?  I'm figuring once i strip her of her fry, will the demasoni be eating them???

Any advice would be great.  This all happened so fast and way ahead of when i thought it would.  All my fish are juvenilles so i thought i had until at least christmas till this started happening :)

Thanks again.

darkdep

I've just gone through my first couple of fry experiences, so I can pass along advice based on that.

IMHO don't bother trying to move the existing fry.  As long as you have hiding places for them (most of them) will be ok.  You'll tear your hair out trying to catch em.  Fry grow really fast; mine went from tiny tiny to over an inch in about a month.  

If you're serious about your yellow lab fry, put her by herself in a small tank and let her release naturally.  I've done this twice to excellent results.  

She'll be ok in the small tank with her fry.  Feed her well for about a week to get her strength back up, then you can move her out to your main tank.  The fry will be very shy until she's gone.

Brent

ya i agree trying to get all the fry out of that tank will be an awful chore. let the fry hide and grow in your 50g. even if u did take the fry out now u'll have to put them back in later. its just to much work and will put to much stress on the fish

Paladin

Alright...thanks for the input