New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

frontosa question.

Started by hummer, August 22, 2005, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummer

Hey guys you know how frontosa's all have a certain area they come from and can have different names for instance kitbuma frontosa. What are the types of frontosa available say at big als in kanata or the superpet on merivale ? Are they just generic frontosa's?

pegasus

Generic Frontosa are as beautiful as the others that we know the origin. The Cyphotilapia sp. "North" (Burundi) & Cyphotilapia gibberosa (Mpimbwe) are very popular at the present time.

Generic Frontosa are not necessarely hybrids, but more because the breeder or the LPS lost the information on it's origin and yes I'll pay more for this information if I intend on breeding them.

hummer

well thanks for the response pegasus.  They are a beautiful fish and mines finally getting used to its surroundings and swimming more.  Are you planning on breeding them?

pegasus

Yes that my intention, but I' eyeing oenology's frontosa. She got them breeding last month. I plan to visit her tank while she's gone out of the country for the next 2 months and maybe I' ll substitute a few tretocephalus fry for some frontosa fry.  :lol:

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"...... maybe I' ll substitute a few tretocephalus fry for some frontosa fry.  :lol:

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

:lol:

oenology

HEY! just because I'm out of the country doesn't mean I don't check this site from time to time! I'll have to make sure Capt. Dave keeps an eye on you Pegasus when you go over and see how he's making out :D

By the way, weather is great, wine is great and we'll start picking next week.

328iGuy

Quote from: "oenology"HEY! just because I'm out of the country doesn't mean I don't check this site from time to time! I'll have to make sure Capt. Dave keeps an eye on you Pegasus when you go over and see how he's making out :D

By the way, weather is great, wine is great and we'll start picking next week.

Great to hear from you; were are you anyhow?

oenology

Over looking the Mediterranean near St Tropez. La vie du Chateau - literally.  hee, hee

328iGuy

Quote from: "oenology"Over looking the Mediterranean near St Tropez. La vie du Chateau - literally.  hee, hee

WOW!  :shock:

Enjoy!

pegasus

Quote from: "oenology"HEY! just because I'm out of the country doesn't mean I don't check this site from time to time! I'll have to make sure Capt. Dave keeps an eye on you Pegasus when you go over and see how he's making out :D

BUSTED!
BTW you don't realy want your dead Frontosa frozen, right? Incineration is much better in getting rid of deseases and... evidence of death..  :wink:

BTW I'm selling most of all my young fry just so I can return your gift and make some space for those dead Frontosa.

hummer

pegasus, I don't understand why are you making room for dead frontosa ?

pegasus

Quote from: "hummer"pegasus, I don't understand why are you making room for dead frontosa ?
Shuuutt... not too loud.
I'll tell oenology that some of her frontosa hit the bucket while she was gone, when in fact, they would be festing on white worms in my tanks. :)
Seriousely, oenology has a beautiful 130 gal tank with 4 beautiful frontosa. (yes Jen, 4 or 5 have already past away  :cry: )

hummer, wait till she comes back, and we'll go visit her show tank.

328iGuy

Quote from: "hummer"pegasus, I don't understand why are you making room for dead frontosa ?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

hummer

Hey do you guys think its a bad idea to keep a royal pleco with my frontosa. The royal seems to be a dirty fish and from my understanding frontosa need clean water.

pegasus

Mine are doing fine in dirty water with a common pleco. Jen's frontosa tank was crystal clear untill a week ago. (---- Jen do you have a pleco in yours?----) :)

TR

Hi pegasus:

A question if I may... when you mention Frontosa being generic comming from different stores and what not.

Do you mean as in name wise or actually in the breeding wise?

And if in the breeding wise or where they are comming from in different places, is there a difference in the size of the fish as it reaches maturity.

Or are they all basically the same looking fish regardless?

Thanks pegasus.

TR

Sue

Quote from: "TR"
Or are they all basically the same looking fish regardless?
 TR

When I bred fronts about 10 years ago, they would of been considered 'generic fronts'  from  different locations, and most likely all from captive bred stock.  

Looks: To me the fish look about the same except for the degree of blue color.  I've seen some really nice fronts with blue highlights, and mine were the basic black/white fish. Those with the extra blue are well worth the money IMHO.

hummer

pegasus stated before that the names are normally just lost or not given. but i purchased my frontosa from big al's and swordfish14 told me they're burundi frontosa. So the frontosa are comming from some area.

tr:

From my understanding their isn't much difference in size. Mostly colouration,  for instance the moba, ziare frontosa have beautiful blues.

TR

Hi Sue:

Thanks sue appreciate that very much, i wasn't quite sure about the slight colour difference be it a slight tinge of blue or not, and the size also?

I heard this told to me once regarding the frontosa being different or not depending on where they come from, but wasn't quite sure if this was really accruate or not.

Thanks again Sue.

TR

pegasus

Sorry guys, you should know by now how much I hate writing long dissertation. :oops:

Sue said it right, problem is that in the same location, different specimen have different tint of blue. and beware of pictures as the blues are so much subject to lighting (flash and ambient). Jen would also add that a water change will also influence this blue tint.

My point is that generally speaking, frontosa of different location are all the same.... but one.. Check cichlids-forum.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=9

There's only one Cyphotilapia frontosa (Kigoma) with 7 bars and 18 other locations of Cyphotilapia gibberosa with 5-6 bars, all very similar.   Oh! there's also the 4 bars cheap Frontosa.... Neolamprolugus tretocephalus  :wink:

I prefer to buy the frontosa knowing there location, not for their different tint but just as to keep this information for the next buyer.

Color variation, here close to home:
Perch up-river, up-Chaudiere's Falls are more of a darker green than the yellowish and pale perch below the falls. I'm sure diet as much to do with it.

TR

Thanks Pegasus:

Just checked  the link you sent  very interesting for sure. and the the bars on the fish info interesting, thanks for info pegasus.

Thanks also Hummer.

TR.

hummer

Want to try to play, name that frontosa ?

pegasus

QuoteWant to try to play, name that frontosa ?
No way!
It's a frontosa from...... Tanganyika now in hummer's tank?
Check the brown forehead.... there's a family of those in Burundi.

Too bad people think they should live in colony, in a tank by themselves. Mine are doing fine among a douzen other species.

Enjoy yours.

blueturq

QuoteToo bad people think they should live in colony, in a tank by themselves. Mine are doing fine among a douzen other species.

Yeah, I generally hear that alot - Frontosas should be kept in colonies.

Pegasus: Are they fine on their own, or would they benefit ALOT better with others of their own species?

pegasus

I don't know about leaving one alone like an oscar. My Burundi is alone with tropheus and aulonocara. My other Mpimbwe schools together among mbuna,peacock and tang. They tend to keep for themselves away from the others and have to fight for their food.

From that observation, I'd say that they would prefer a calmer tank, less fish (needind their own space). A tank of just frontosa is probably the best, nevertheless, a frontosa alone with peacefull tankmates  can also work well.