New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Safe!!! cure time for weldon pvc cement???

Started by wayn496, January 02, 2015, 08:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayn496

I just finished getting my return pipe put together with weld-on 711 and after checking the website for this product it says 30 minutes to cure to the point where the pipe can be pressurized.  I am a little concerned about getting it in the water and running my sump because the tank is stocked.  I do not want any of the chemicals leaching into my display.  Does anyone have a good knowledge of this stuff and how long I should wait before starting the system up?

Thanks in advance

Philnashbass

I know how you feel - wanting to be safe and avoid leaching toxins. I've done it many times and usually wait as long as possible (up to one day sometimes), but there have been times I've had to rush the job and get things going sooner and the joint is solid and no detrimental effects on my tank/fish. In those cases I ran the system in 3 to 4 hours after bonding joints. Besides, if the glued joint is quite clean (no puddles of cement in your pipe), there should be minimal H2O contact with cement anyway.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

wayn496

Thanks for the response.  The pipe was done about 4 hours ago and there is barely any smell of the solvent left now.  I just ran water through it for about 15 minutes just to rinse it out best I can.  Im going to let it sit for a little bit longer then I will install it.  Fingers are crossed but I think I should be ok.

Thanks again