New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

On-line names???

Started by busdriver, November 07, 2006, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

Well then, in deference to the original query, and obvious assumptions by those who like to presume, I have chosen to emerge from the fearsome depths of my mind and spout effusively regarding my clearly mysterious nomenclature.

To begin at the beginning would be far too practical, and as obfuscatory diatribe may well be my middle names, I shall digress to a most ponderous and rambling version starting somewhere, perhaps the middle.

Unfortunately, my very best information strikes well after the witching hour, and as it is now just after 5 am, it is time to strike with both barrels. As an aside, you likely will never understand a post from me if it is at 7:00 in the morning, I'm fairly incomprehensible at that hour, so I sit quietly during that time, and smoke cigarettes instead, it is possibly a much safer practise than speaking non-sensical gibberish.

Out of respect for garnpet, I shall be sure to absorb a vast amount of bandwidth by expressing an element of my moniker by example, quod erat demonstradum.

I shall say that my father was an English Master and an English Education Director for the Ministry of Education, suffice it to say that English was spoken at home in xenagogue fashion and that my first words were literally consumed, (he accuses me of having eaten several pages one day of his Shorter Oxford English dictionary prior to being capable of bi-pedal locomotion, and my mother corraborates this account of events). There is quite some irony in eating that dictionary and spending the rest of my days never shutting up.

I've been told I mutter and splutter in the few hours I sleep, though I've no idea what about, heck, that could even be true of the waking hours. It seems to annoy the cats enough for them to pounce on my head when I'm snoring.

The point here, if there ever was one, was that I required a name for an email account way back, and quite frankly, I've always admired the ponderous tomes (okay, mere novels, but vast in scope) of Douglass Adams, so Beowolf was partially correct in his assumption. But Succinctfish actually chose the name. So, in attempting to secure an account, Babelfish was taken at least ten thousand times the world over, so I chose instead to don the reference pertinent to verbal diarrhea. I must say additionally that Marvin the manic depressive robot came into this description in a most abstruse way.(brain the size of a planet  :D )

Now the attraction to the babelfish is fourfold, firstly, it is that thing that you stick in your ear so eloquently described in an earlier surmise, secondly, it refers to a tower that has two meanings for me, a profoundly important bible story that sums up why we can't understand each other, and a poke at engineers who think they rule the world and tried to erect a physical manifestation of trying to speak to God directly.(I was steeped quite deeply in religious matters as a child, so this story stuck). Thirdly, I am definitely one for silence, I almost never hear it as I am forever talking, hence the babble. Fourthly, I love fish, not so much to eat, but to have as pets, (though I was an avid unsuccessful coarse fisherman for many decades). And it reminds me of more stories about the bible involving fish.

Now the 1960 part is peculiar, I had run into a glitch on the site here some time ago, where I couldn't remember for the life of me what my stupid password was, it was something ridiculous, anyway, I had to answer a post rather quickly, as the person trying to sell me something couldn't give me the contact information because I couldn't log on. So in a blind panic, I re-joined the site, but had to modify my name, and quickly, so I picked a number I could remember, and this was the first real job I had had, and it was milking cows, I love cows, they are such wonderful animals.

There was a quote from the earlier part of the nineteenth century, where new settlers to Canada were assured great probability of success in pioneering if they had only two things they could bring, and that was a strong wife, and a good cow, or was it the other way around. So cows have always been important to mankinds evolution and they are lovely creatures that can be rather tasty too.
My absolute favourite cows are kyloes, or Scottish Highland, they are so lovable, and cute too.

I actually like cows almost as much as trucks, I'm not talking pansy fords and chevies,(I won't even mention dodge), I'm talking LandRovers and MB Unimogs and medium class military trucks. I did have my own fleet of Freightliner logtrucks in the eighties though, they were cool, I gave them all names of trees.

So what about trucks, well I drive an older Volkswagon Jetta now that I am adjusting to not treating like a truck, it's a good car Angie is, but she's no truck. :P

Trucks are like oxen, and I once possessed some Ayreshire oxen that were a blast, taller than me, powerful, yet gentle, not like Isaac and Newton, my black Percherons, Isaac was tractable, but Newton was nuts, and forever getting into hi-jinks in harness.

You can't really yell at horses, they're sensitive beasts with sharp hearing. Well, the first time I was training Newton to pull logs, he was doing alright for a nut, but when the log hit the gravel of the long driveway, he hadn't heard that noise before...he took off like a bolt, the log is skittering side to side like a crazy thing(I had long reins for just such an eventuality) and I am running as fast as I can in my size 14 miner's muckers, calling quietly and gently to Newton...gee-up Newton, easy, easy, whoa boy...trying not to get dragged across half the township. ( for some odd reason, Yosemite Sam and that blasted mule was rushing into my mind during this incident). Some bystanders were roaring with laughter while others were yelling in panicked voices about someone heading the fool horse off. Eventually reason prevailed, I was able to get him back on the grasses and he began to listen again. I tell you, I pulled several muscles in my legs and back trying to keep up with him and not get dragged...we had a love/hate relationship.
Margaret and Elizabeth were my Clydesdales that were a lot more sensible and were darling draughts for many years.

So what, well it is my love for useful power and utility that keeps me loving trucks, trucks are like draught animals, but without the vet bills, and cows are my absolute favourites and I began milking and hand churning butter in 1960, (my Muumuu was strong like a bull from churning). Marilyn Monroe was still alive, so was Jim Morrison, cars were beautiful and so was Gina Lollobrigida. We still had an intact ozone, and a sunburn was just a sunburn. Queen Elizabeth, whom I protect as a Royal Loyalist and have sworn an oath of fealty to, extended naturally to some of her family(Princess Anne has always been difficult) was still having her drinking water shipped to her from Loch Lomond, which was a stone's throw from where I grew up, Okay, maybe three or four stone's throw, (I'm apparently a terrible thrower, my kids were always safe from me in snowball fights, they still mock me).

In the army we never got to do much with cows or horses, so I had to transfer this love of brute strength, ignorance and power to the machinery, hence the trucks are like cows.

Now I am not done with this by a long shot, but I defer to the soon to be rising sun that I'll have to be up for, so I hope that this touches lightly enough upon a suitable explanation apropos to my station and proclivity.

I hope you find this extrapolation of historical events amusing and somewhat telling in understanding who it is you may be talking to here, it has been fun making busdriver wait, and I hope it was enlightening, for some of it may even be true. ;)

babblefish1960

You should all count yourself fortunate that I didn't even mention the Shakespeare portion of it, I shall soliloquise at a later date. :P  King Lear would be proud. sic

beowulf

Wow and you wrote that all in one breath and still managed to get my name wrong  ;)

mseguin

I think that may have set a new babblefish record. I unfortunately could not read it all as I had to leave for work. Which says something as I started reading 4 hours before my shift.   ;)

babblefish1960

Aw, crap, and I am customarily so litigious about spelling accuracy, I do apologise most profusely, as a persona created for identification should never be trifled with. Sorry Beowulf, an error nonetheless, and one truly beneath my own personal level of persnicketyness. I am cognisant of the fact that chocolate was in dire supply during the creative process of the aformentioned response, yet equally aware that one should ever resort to excuses. All previous death threats have been nullified. :D

post script, mseguin, you can  be such a smarmy little character, have fun at work. ;)

beowulf

All good, most people seem to think it is Beowolf anyways!!!

artw

Excellent post Babblefish! :claps:  what I'd like to know is a) when do you actually sleep, b) how many revisions to that post did you make before you actually hit Post, and c) when are you writing your first book?

babblefish1960

That is the peculiarity of the my midnight ramblings Art, unlike some subjects which begin as draughts and develop into something more usable,  ;) these wee hours meanderings are written as they come out, it is a glorious moment in the starry time that allows me to be to the point in a very obtuse and round about manner.

Thank you for your kind words Terry, I'm afraid to say that when it comes to blathering, there is always more, so much more tarradiddle.  ;D

wu-gwei

I love turtles... wu gwei means turtle in Mandarin Chinese. ;D

Cheers,
JJ ;)

groan

from your signature...
Quote130G Community Turtle & Goldfish tank; 2 x 75G Turtle tanks; 2 x 40G Turtle tank; 33G plant tank; 33G Turtle & Convict tank; 20G Turtle & fish tank;  15G turtle & fish tank; 10G turtle & fish tank; a big domocile with a wife and son; and a class full of 26 wonderful grade 2/3 students
...I'd ahve never guessed you love turtles! ;)

Groan is simply a word/name that i chose when signing up on a forum some 10 or so years ago. I wanted a word that i didnt see too often online (as a forum name) so i did some long thinking about ti and came up with this. I use it for lots of online identities in lots of forums and games.

babblefish1960

95, give or take, is actually a pretty good number, and I hate to be the bearer of ill-tidings, but the number of people that have seen it is not relative to unique individuals, rather it merely reflects the number of times that anyone comes in to have a boo! Everytime the same person, such as yourself for example, peeks inside the thread, it is registered as a view, so, the question is Busdriver, how many of those 1300 plus views are yours? So you see, if you look into the thread 250 times, that leaves only 1070 for the rest of us, so quit peeking until you're serious about reading the entire thing again. :D  Once you've perused the thread over, there will be a test at the end that includes an essay question, so study hard. ;D

busdriver

Hope nobody minds, but I'm going to bump this ;) ;) ;) ::)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

babblefish1960

Not at all, good idea, I'm just warming up to part II, but I thought after all the silly posts I've made of late that I would wait briefly before I inundated page 4 with yet another episode of tarradiddle.

sniggir

my last name is riggins so riggins reverse is sniggir

Pat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

babblefish1960

That is such a cute inversion, and here I just thought that you snickered and laughed under your breath all the time. ;)  Snigglers also caught eels in England for food, so I have imagined you in a coracle fighting the tides in the dark and wrestling eels out of the murky waters with your bare hands. ;D

nickie

:-\  My dog is everything to me !! ... :D ... " nickie " and any other four-legged creature that crosses my path xxx ...  :D.........
theres always food for the homeless on my gallery,..  and dog cookie bones 2 , for the dog we pass daily on our poo-poo walk  ::)
xxx John

nickie

:D  I love my  dog , so Nickie it be !!! ....  :-\  :o

babblefish1960

When you say "so nickie be it" are you referring to the "it" as being the name to which you refer as your dog, or are you saying that the "it" refers to his gender neutrality and that you have emasculated poor nickie to keep him a steady gelding. (okay, a dog isn't gelded, but you get the drift)

As for the love of a dog, it is fascinating that they are non-judgmental, and are completely devoted to us no matter who we may be. So you would be the neighbourhood dog cookie pocket guy, they must love to see you coming down the garden path.

That clears up the question as to why your name is nickie and you always sign John, otherwise, it is a little strange by itself. What sort of dog is nickie john?

PoisonJello

well I've had a few different online names, as for this name I was with an online group called Toxic Crisco Network, so PoisonJello just seemed to fit or was it something i did to the jello at the Christmas party... anyways thats not important now  ::)

babblefish1960

I have to ask, you knew this was coming, but what the heck is a Toxic Crisco Network? I mean you have to admit it sounds peculiar, does it provide a basis of communication utilizing rancid shortening in some way? :D

And I certainly don't wish to know what you put in the jello at the Christmas party, so yes, it does answer the question where your moniker came from. Given your explanation I would suggest that you probably fit right in on the site, as we have a complete host of  characters and those with odd senses of humour. ;)