New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

On-line names???

Started by busdriver, November 07, 2006, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

Quote from: Dah-nah on August 23, 2007, 12:26:14 AM
My name is quite common and usually taken already but the pronunciation is not common so my moniker is my name spelled phonetically.

Dana

Dah-nah, neat!
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Jeff1192

Since you asked busdriver, my on-line name is my first name and badge number from work. If you look at my avatar you will understand.  8)
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

PaleoFishGirl

You're a cartoon character? Cool! :P

Jeff1192

Haha....I'm impressed that you figured that out....most people think I'm a cop!   :P

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Hey welcome to the site, hope you have a blast around here  ;), BTW were you in on this  ;D -http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=17292.msg126937#msg126937   ;D
Regards

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=17292.msg126937#msg126937

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 23, 2007, 12:59:02 PM
Haha....I'm impressed that you figured that out....most people think I'm a cop!   :P

IC we are being infiltrated... ROTFL  ;) :D :o ;D good cover an aquarist...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Haha....nope wasn't me....but I could see how the lights and the foot traffic could lead someone to call the police.  :)

- George Orwell

Dr. Ashtray

Yeah, the Dr. Ashtray thing always invokes a "What the" kind of reaction.  Especially on eBay!  dr.ashtray on there, well, amongst other accounts, which may remain nameless.  I use other accounts to buy European and sell Canadian.  So as not to alert the buyers of my prowess and skill in uncovering worthy European designed resale items that sell like hotcakes over here.  I collect ashtrays and know a lot about them, thus the Dr. Ashtray.  It also kind of fits my own persona.  I am an amateur stand-up comedian and actor who isn't afraid to mangle any grain he encounters.  I like to turn grains into burls.  That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Jeffrey...

Kats

This thread is cool!

I'm a cat lover!!   Cats would have been too obvious so it is Kats.... used to be Katoux3 (Kat - cat... ou - where in French.... 3 - 3 cats) but I shortened it to Kats when we adopted our 4th cat (all rescued).  Our family is complete... 4 cats, 9 fish and 2 teenagers!!!

Quite a zoo!!! 

babblefish1960

Another crazy cat lady, perfect, welcome to the OVAS website, and honestly, having had teenagers, I would take 4 stray semi feral cats any day. ;D

renadia

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 13, 2006, 05:15:26 AM
Well then, in deference to the original query, and obvious assumptions by those who like to presume, I have chosen to emerge from the fearsome depths of my mind and spout effusively regarding my clearly mysterious nomenclature.

To begin at the beginning would be far too practical, and as obfuscatory diatribe may well be my middle names, I shall digress to a most ponderous and rambling version starting somewhere, perhaps the middle.

Unfortunately, my very best information strikes well after the witching hour, and as it is now just after 5 am, it is time to strike with both barrels. As an aside, you likely will never understand a post from me if it is at 7:00 in the morning, I'm fairly incomprehensible at that hour, so I sit quietly during that time, and smoke cigarettes instead, it is possibly a much safer practise than speaking non-sensical gibberish.

Out of respect for garnpet, I shall be sure to absorb a vast amount of bandwidth by expressing an element of my moniker by example, quod erat demonstradum.

I shall say that my father was an English Master and an English Education Director for the Ministry of Education, suffice it to say that English was spoken at home in xenagogue fashion and that my first words were literally consumed, (he accuses me of having eaten several pages one day of his Shorter Oxford English dictionary prior to being capable of bi-pedal locomotion, and my mother corraborates this account of events). There is quite some irony in eating that dictionary and spending the rest of my days never shutting up.

I've been told I mutter and splutter in the few hours I sleep, though I've no idea what about, heck, that could even be true of the waking hours. It seems to annoy the cats enough for them to pounce on my head when I'm snoring.

The point here, if there ever was one, was that I required a name for an email account way back, and quite frankly, I've always admired the ponderous tomes (okay, mere novels, but vast in scope) of Douglass Adams, so Beowolf was partially correct in his assumption. But Succinctfish actually chose the name. So, in attempting to secure an account, Babelfish was taken at least ten thousand times the world over, so I chose instead to don the reference pertinent to verbal diarrhea. I must say additionally that Marvin the manic depressive robot came into this description in a most abstruse way.(brain the size of a planet  :D )

Now the attraction to the babelfish is fourfold, firstly, it is that thing that you stick in your ear so eloquently described in an earlier surmise, secondly, it refers to a tower that has two meanings for me, a profoundly important bible story that sums up why we can't understand each other, and a poke at engineers who think they rule the world and tried to erect a physical manifestation of trying to speak to God directly.(I was steeped quite deeply in religious matters as a child, so this story stuck). Thirdly, I am definitely one for silence, I almost never hear it as I am forever talking, hence the babble. Fourthly, I love fish, not so much to eat, but to have as pets, (though I was an avid unsuccessful coarse fisherman for many decades). And it reminds me of more stories about the bible involving fish.

Now the 1960 part is peculiar, I had run into a glitch on the site here some time ago, where I couldn't remember for the life of me what my stupid password was, it was something ridiculous, anyway, I had to answer a post rather quickly, as the person trying to sell me something couldn't give me the contact information because I couldn't log on. So in a blind panic, I re-joined the site, but had to modify my name, and quickly, so I picked a number I could remember, and this was the first real job I had had, and it was milking cows, I love cows, they are such wonderful animals.

There was a quote from the earlier part of the nineteenth century, where new settlers to Canada were assured great probability of success in pioneering if they had only two things they could bring, and that was a strong wife, and a good cow, or was it the other way around. So cows have always been important to mankinds evolution and they are lovely creatures that can be rather tasty too.
My absolute favourite cows are kyloes, or Scottish Highland, they are so lovable, and cute too.

I actually like cows almost as much as trucks, I'm not talking pansy fords and chevies,(I won't even mention dodge), I'm talking LandRovers and MB Unimogs and medium class military trucks. I did have my own fleet of Freightliner logtrucks in the eighties though, they were cool, I gave them all names of trees.

So what about trucks, well I drive an older Volkswagon Jetta now that I am adjusting to not treating like a truck, it's a good car Angie is, but she's no truck. :P

Trucks are like oxen, and I once possessed some Ayreshire oxen that were a blast, taller than me, powerful, yet gentle, not like Isaac and Newton, my black Percherons, Isaac was tractable, but Newton was nuts, and forever getting into hi-jinks in harness.

You can't really yell at horses, they're sensitive beasts with sharp hearing. Well, the first time I was training Newton to pull logs, he was doing alright for a nut, but when the log hit the gravel of the long driveway, he hadn't heard that noise before...he took off like a bolt, the log is skittering side to side like a crazy thing(I had long reins for just such an eventuality) and I am running as fast as I can in my size 14 miner's muckers, calling quietly and gently to Newton...gee-up Newton, easy, easy, whoa boy...trying not to get dragged across half the township. ( for some odd reason, Yosemite Sam and that blasted mule was rushing into my mind during this incident). Some bystanders were roaring with laughter while others were yelling in panicked voices about someone heading the fool horse off. Eventually reason prevailed, I was able to get him back on the grasses and he began to listen again. I tell you, I pulled several muscles in my legs and back trying to keep up with him and not get dragged...we had a love/hate relationship.
Margaret and Elizabeth were my Clydesdales that were a lot more sensible and were darling draughts for many years.

So what, well it is my love for useful power and utility that keeps me loving trucks, trucks are like draught animals, but without the vet bills, and cows are my absolute favourites and I began milking and hand churning butter in 1960, (my Muumuu was strong like a bull from churning). Marilyn Monroe was still alive, so was Jim Morrison, cars were beautiful and so was Gina Lollobrigida. We still had an intact ozone, and a sunburn was just a sunburn. Queen Elizabeth, whom I protect as a Royal Loyalist and have sworn an oath of fealty to, extended naturally to some of her family(Princess Anne has always been difficult) was still having her drinking water shipped to her from Loch Lomond, which was a stone's throw from where I grew up, Okay, maybe three or four stone's throw, (I'm apparently a terrible thrower, my kids were always safe from me in snowball fights, they still mock me).

In the army we never got to do much with cows or horses, so I had to transfer this love of brute strength, ignorance and power to the machinery, hence the trucks are like cows.

Now I am not done with this by a long shot, but I defer to the soon to be rising sun that I'll have to be up for, so I hope that this touches lightly enough upon a suitable explanation apropos to my station and proclivity.

I hope you find this extrapolation of historical events amusing and somewhat telling in understanding who it is you may be talking to here, it has been fun making busdriver wait, and I hope it was enlightening, for some of it may even be true. ;)
lol very interesting and intertaining  :) My name is far from being interesting compared to yours. I was not even tought of in 1960...

babblefish1960

I'm glad you were entertained, it is unfortunately in my nature to ramble so.  I am quite certain that you have some interesting tale regarding your choice of on-line name, give it a shot, I am sure it will be fun.  Right off the mark I can see you have a tolerance for inanity, as you managed to read that post, so don't count yourself short by any means. :)

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 15, 2007, 07:32:20 PM
I'm glad you were entertained, it is unfortunately in my nature to ramble so.  I am quite certain that you have some interesting tale regarding your choice of on-line name, give it a shot, I am sure it will be fun.  Right off the mark I can see you have a tolerance for inanity, as you managed to read that post, so don't count yourself short by any means. :)

Though I have found the secret to keep Babble silent for at least 30 minutes..... ::)

renadia

Quote from: babblefish1960 on January 24, 2007, 12:32:49 PM
I guess not all of the 900 registered users have as much time to visit the site, or they are afraid of giving away too much information. :-X

If you moved to Merrickville and kept angelfish instead, would you have become Mr. Merrickville Angel? :)

I suppose we can all be grateful that the dog you love so much wasn't called frou frou or something cute like that, it would just be so weird. ;D

Everytime I see that '88' guy on here, I think that it is either homage to the greatest and most versatile weapon of the German forces in WWII, the 88mm gun, either that or he likes pianos, 88 keys, sorry I couldn't help myself. I'm still dreadfully curious about names like ophelia, very mysterious. ;)
;D ;D Just glad Nickie was not called Frou Frou! Can you imagine that!...

beowulf

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 23, 2007, 12:59:02 PM

Your not a real cop your just some sort of detective they don't do real cop work  ;)

Jeff1192

- George Orwell

renadia

I heard the elite squad or what's the name for it, god my mind is blank...anyway they destroys their locker room! Yep the just detroy it, what we tax paying hard worker pay I bet they are not very busy if they have time to do that.   ::)Hope your not in that gang :)

renadia

Ok , so Renadia is not more tought of than Garnpet  ;D

renadia

Quote from: catfishsteve on March 11, 2007, 12:06:07 AM
I love to go fishing for catfish
and I'm a hillbilly at heart
WE had a catfish just like your avatar in a 32 gal for a long time. My son had caught him when he was just a small thing and didn't want to put it back in the water. the other fish either jumped out from small openings at the back of the top or he ate them! He ended up being the sole owner of the tank  :)

rmicroys

Microys, Rob Microys.  Hence, rmicroys.