New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

On-line names???

Started by busdriver, November 07, 2006, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

Quote from: washefuzzy on June 06, 2007, 01:49:56 PM
Babble I didn't claim to make any sense, now did I. :D
That is true, you have not made such a claim, however, upon your arrival to the May general meeting, seeing all of us OVAS fish people standing in front of the JP centre, you exclaimed, "it is such a relief to see "normal" people", after walking the Sens mile, to which we all thought you must be nuts to think that the OVASers present were normal by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

washefuzzy

babblefish1960

Had a brilliant idea, I hope everyone is equally amused! :)

busdriver

Hey Babble, I like it, this is where it belongs.  ;) :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

babblefish1960

No problemo, it occurred to me that this thread predated the introductions, and lo and behold, we have been getting a number of new users on line here that couldn't access the lounge, so it suddenly made sense to me amidst some pretty cool lightening strikes, so there you have it, a bolt from the blue must have hit me to get such a logical idea. I'm sure it won't happen again. ;)

So c'mon folks, you chose the names, so let's hear why, it is a lot of fun. I'm sure if you read through the thread from start to most recent, you will enjoy a good laugh and learn a few things about those that have already participated. :)

washefuzzy

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 06, 2007, 01:53:55 PM
That is true, you have not made such a claim, however, upon your arrival to the May general meeting, seeing all of us OVAS fish people standing in front of the JP centre, you exclaimed, "it is such a relief to see "normal" people", after walking the Sens mile, to which we all thought you must be nuts to think that the OVASers present were normal by any stretch of the imagination. ;)
PS: I was lying these are not normal people!! :D ;D

Brine

My turn....My name is Brian and I used to work with a man named Ray Ryan. Ray was from Newfoundland and had a fairly thick accent. When he said "Brian" it sounded like "brine" ...so when it came time for an online name....presto chango Brine was born.

PaleoFishGirl

I thought that was a pretty clever name for an aquarium forum handle anyway :)

babblefish1960

Quote from: washefuzzy on June 09, 2007, 07:53:08 PM
PS: I was lying these are not normal people!! :D ;D
Good point, we have met, so I haven't a leg to stand on there! :)

I happen to think that brine would have been an indicator of the sort of fish you kept, I couldn't decide between a brackish tank and pickled herrings though! ;D

bassetluv

Well, I don't have a very fishy online name...bassetluv came about a few years ago after I met a person online. He and I became friends, and we met in a forum because of a thread he'd begun about his two basset hounds. When we lost contact with one another I missed him very much, and one day not long after I was signing in as a new member to another forum and had to think up a name...of course I thought of him, and 'bassetluv' was born. I now use it for most online chat, simply because it's easier to have just one name than several.

dan2x38

Since 1990 been using dan2x38 on BBS' I am lazy did not want to think up a new username each time I registered... also a lot of places demanded more than 6 characters plus alpha/numeric id's... plus admin pswd that have not been used at work on servers... never had a hit with this id...

My Mom always said, "If you want to find the easiest way to do a job, ask a lazy man"  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Raygurl

When i was a kid i always wanted to change my name! It was boring or at least abbreviate it! Unfortunatly nothing really sticked my name is Rachel! kinda hard to shorten! lol ;D So i made up a new name ray! but it kinda reminded my of my neighbor whos name was also ray and so it kinda sounded more boy to me so then it became raygurl(it also sounded like a superhero name i can still dream right) Hence the name was born! lol :D

fyrebull

Fires (fyre) the job, bull is the nickname......okay start the smart remarks... :P

busdriver

Quote from: fyrebull on July 26, 2007, 01:07:57 PM
Fires (fyre) the job, bull is the nickname......okay start the smart remarks... :P

I don't think anyone is going to come up with any smart remarks, especially when you work for Ottawa Fire & Rescue, because they just might need you one day.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Saltcreep

Welcome! from another Stittsvillian

RoxyDog

me! me!  is that bull-headed?  bull-poop?   ;D

kidding...we like firedudes around here.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

fyrebull

Quote from: busdriver on July 26, 2007, 01:38:40 PM
I don't think anyone is going to come up with any smart remarks, especially when you work for Ottawa Fire & Rescue, because they just might need you one day.

And also because the nickname "Bull" comes from my neck size... ;)

Funkmotor

By request...

I've used the name "Funkmotor" online ever since my originally chosen name (Ayatollah) seemed to be taken more and more...and taken as a joke less and less.  Funkmotor doesn't seem to have either problem.  :o

It comes from the James Brown song "Funky President" (lyrics: http://www.zmag.org/songs/Funky%20President.htm)  I thought it sounded pretty good in the song, and it has turned out to be unique.

As well, it immediately injects a bit of whimsy into everything I write, and I like that.

People call me "Funk" for short.

I hope that explains it.  ;)

babblefish1960

Yes it does, and thanks for that explanation, I can understand the diminishing humour found in your old moniker of course, and yes, I would say this one is definitely unique. :)

Dah-nah

My name is quite common and usually taken already but the pronunciation is not common so my moniker is my name spelled phonetically.

Dana