New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Coconut shells

Started by Vizerdrix, April 22, 2008, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizerdrix

So I decided to try a more "natural" look in my 65g and use coconut shells for caves.  Got them all nice and clean, and boiled the begeebees out of them.

My question is: do I have to remove the outer "hair" from the shells?  Or do I leave that on?  They seem to have formed a slightly gooey coating on there just soaking in water...

Thanks!

crazy 4 fish

Wow great idea. Did you have trouble cutting them ?

Vizerdrix

I smashed them with a hammer before hubby suggested I use the dremmel <sp?> tool.  DOH!

crazy 4 fish

Ah the dremmel ... lovely invention. The groomers at work use it on dog nails all the time. Does a great job. Maybe I can borrow theirs if I decide to try this myself.

washefuzzy

take a blow torch to the hairs!

Nerine

if you use a dremel...you can set the coconut on fire :)

I used a hammer, a drill, and the dremel, and with the dremel used first, because I thought it'd be GREAT not to have smash points ;) and welllllllllllll on high setting, careful not to get fingers in the way...it smoked and then poof, fire :) so if you drill, use a DRILL not dremel (and I was not using the cordless which has less power than the corded! have both haha) next time I attempt a coconut hut, I will be using my power drill!!! and to make a door, used a hack saw haha!

my suggestion....GO BUY ONE PREMADE ;) it's worth the $$$'s hahaha it's not worth the cursing/cut fingers and headache :)

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Agnate

Well, if you're going to use a dremel, just make sure the husk is damp so that the dust doesn't catch fire from the heat.  ^_^

Vizerdrix

Thanks for all the (amusing) tips, but do I have to take the outer hairs off?

And Nerine, I love doing things myself. :)

zima

I would take the hair off - wouldn't want any extra degrading matter in the tank (ammonia spike, etc). More experienced hobbyists might be more precise on the issue of how fast coconut hair degrades and if at all, but I wouldn't want to take chances...

As a side point, a really cool thing to do with coconut shells is to grow some java fern or java moss ot top. I did it in my tanks and it looks great! Those things sell for big $$$ in stores, but it costs close to nothing to do it yourself.

CrazyFish

My family really enjoys eating coconuts so I imagine you are using those dried up old ones.  If that's the case try the young ones instead.  They usually sell for about $2 in chinatown or sometimes at loblaws(my local YIG has them sometimes).  These coconuts are a lot easier to open and all you have to do is trim the top off, drink the juice, and then scoop out the soft coconut flesh with a spoon(tastes good too).  I usually use a cleaver and cut a circle into the top about the size of a loonie.   It's easy to cut it in half too but I usually end up pulling it apart once I've started the cut. 

90G Planted tank
65G Large Goldfish/Koi
48G Smaller Goldfish.
20G South American tank
10 Gallon Goldfish growout

Vizerdrix

Interesting...  Is the shell usable though?  As in hard enough?

Zima, good point.  I will work on de-hairing my shells. :)  Wonder if they make Nair for Coconuts? ;)  And I will be putting Java Moss on top, in the hopes that it attaches.

dan2x38

Go to CT and buy a fine toothed hacksaw blade use a hacksaw or a handle that holds just the blade. These will cut it very nicely I use one all the time for several things. Don't try a coarse blade it will be to hard to keep cutting. The coarseness is determined by teeth per inch you want the higher numbers/inch.

If you have an electric drill while at CT get a wire wheel or these new nylon type wheels for the drill use it to take off all the hair. Remember wear eye protection I've seen horror stories!  :o
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Montrealguy

I never remove the coarse fibers - I train java moss through it. Fry feed on the micro-organisms in it. I was given some that are smooth, but I'm not impressed. I have coconut caves that are 14 years old. They don't rot quickly. Here's what leaving enough fiber and adding moss can lead to - a spawning cave often chosen over others by my dwarfs.

Vizerdrix

Dang!  I just de-haired them!  ;D

I was actually hoping you'd reply Gary, as your tanks are what gave me the idea.

Well, I can always get more coconuts. ;)  I'll use these ones anyhow, maybe the Java moss will like it.