New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

African violets in Ottawa?

Started by Nyx, September 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Does anyone know where I can purchase African violets in Ottawa that are NOT the standard building center or supermarket fare? I contacted the Ottawa African Violet Society (OAVS) with that very question but was told "not really, no" and pressured to attend a meeting. I don't want to join a flower society, I just want to get a few extra special African violets. Surely there must be some place in this city that carries slightly out of the ordinary house plants? Any ideas?
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Nyx

Thanks very much! I shall figure out where Kemptville is and try to get out there soon. :)

sas

Here's another great spot, out in BC however but the lady that runs
it is wonderful to deal with.

http://mountainviewtropicals.com/

I've bought quite a number of plants from them and they are doing great.
I didn't buy any African violets but I did buy some Chirita and also some
Streptocarpus.

Might be getting too late in the season to order from them but maybe
something to think about for next spring.

SeaKing

I would try Richmond Nursery. They have one of the best selection of plants in the region.

http://www.richmondnursery.com/

Nyx

Thanks Sue and Seaking. I appreciate the links. :)

Nerine

Montreal :) I get most of my plants there!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RedFish

Nyx if you wouldn't mind posting here if you do find some, I want some different ones too.

THe last time I found some real beauties was someone from the African Violet society who posted on usedottawa, but that was several years ago.

Nyx

Anywhere in particular, Nerine? My oldest daughter lives there so I could try to find some on my next visit in October.

Lynn, I've called around and emailed the places listed here but no luck on anything with variegated leaves, which is what I'm looking for. :\

sas

Are you looking for an African violet with variegated leaves?

If so I have one and it's needing to be divided, and I'd love to share a plant with you :).
Trouble is it's only a single pink, but the leaves are just as nice.

Nyx

Sue, that would would be wonderful! I'd be happy to pay for it. Thank you so much! I'll PM you so we can work out the details. You're a doll.  :-*

RedFish

Hey, post some photos of that variegated Violet!

If, IF there is enough I would love one too Sue - if not, it would be great if you could post here again or pm me when it is ready to be split again.

The ones I found several years ago did not have variegated leaves, but had two-colour double flowers and rippled petals.
You see plants like that around, but these were bigger more extravagant flowers.

I used to have many miniature violets and sinningias many years ago, my mother and I loved growing them.

sas

I'll try and get some pics up shortly, and also check to see how many plant-lets I can get off
of the plant. I could also try and start some new ones.

Yes we had miniatures years ago as well, they're also something you rarely see anymore. It's a shame.

Fishnut

There's a place in the market that has lots of different types of house plants.  If you go into the Paper Papier store and go all the way to the back, the back portion of it is a small but jam paced plant and flower shop.  I really don't remember the african violets, but I do remember seeing a lot of other house plants that I've never seen in any of the standard places.

How exactly do you know if an African violet needs to be split?  How do you split it when the leaves die when touched?

Nerine

Umm I shop at a lot of big/small places in Montreal!! But they have so many different varieties of plants :D there's a giant garden center that has tons of statues and garden things, TONS of trees, flowers etc....it's a Botnix I think???
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Nyx

Quote from: sas on September 15, 2011, 06:03:14 AM
Yes we had miniatures years ago as well, they're also something you rarely see anymore. It's a shame.

Rona on Innes get the tiny miniature African Violets in fairly regularly.

I also found a Canadian online African Violet store that is supposed to be very reputable, based on online reviews and her eBay rating. http://www.bloomlovers.com/ I've placed an order for a few plantlets with interesting flowers. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

Thanks Nerine and Fishnut for the info on more stores. :)

RedFish

Oh my she has gorgeous plants, I am going to order a few too!    It is going to take a while to go through all the possibilities.

Did you order leaves or plantlets?   Did you order the max for the basic shipping?  I was wondering if you could just add mine to your order and I'll split the shipping.

Edited to add:   I am having flashbacks as I browse her violets.  Lyndon Lyon!   My Mom and I took a bus trip to their greenhouses with a local garden club and we came back with MANY plants or leaves.    Such a fun trip - I was such a nerdy teen!

Nyx

Lynn, doesn't that site have the loveliest African Violets? I ordered the plugs (plantlets). I don't trust myself rooting the leaves just yet and I'm too impatient as well. :) I already placed, finalized and paid my order for 7 plugs yesterday so I won't be able to split the shipping with you. It's being shipped on Monday. Sorry. I would email her directly and find out what she still has available as apparently it's late in her shipping season so she's out of stock of several of the plugs and leaves, especially the fancier varieties.

sas

Okay Claude you are a very bad influence by posting that site.

There are some gorgeous plants there!

I think I'm going to order some plugs as well.

Fishnut I'm no expert but violets put out baby plants as offshoots and
when they get to a decent size that's when I split mine.

Nyx