New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

African violets in Ottawa?

Started by Nyx, September 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Sue, my Ramblin' Amethyst is growing really well so I will very gladly share a leaf with you. My Emerald Love is holding on by a wing and a prayer but it's not looking good. I appreciate offers of leaves and plantlets and will take you both up on them if I can get a better plant set-up going. There's no point otherwise as they'll probably die. *shrug*

I should mention that if you are trying to start variegated leaves into plants, it's best to have leaves with more green as they need the chlorophyll to thrive, according to the owner of whatever the place was we ordered the plants from.

On the upside, our two planted tanks are thriving! So my thumb is getting a little bit less black. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

sas

Quote from: Nyx on February 02, 2012, 11:16:01 AM

I should mention that if you are trying to start variegated leaves into plants, it's best to have leaves with more green as they need the chlorophyll to thrive, according to the owner of whatever the place was we ordered the plants from.

Thanks for that little bit of info, should have known.
So far so good with all of mine that I ordered, in fact I'm just in the process
of trying to get a second round of plants started from the leaves that I ordered.
Keep your fingers crossed.
I also invested in a two tier floralight system from Lee Valley.
I've always wanted to grow house plants under lights and finally made the leap.
We shall see how it goes.

Anyone interested in the Streptocarpus plants? I find them quite a bit
easier to grow than violets.
Here's a great site with lots of beautiful pics.

http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/

Check out the right side of the screen for all the gorgeous pics.

I can see my Sunblaster lights being used for houseplants in the future ::).
Oh well............

Nyx

Sue, the streptocarpus are lovely. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen some, placed with the African violets, at Home Depot (Orleans). I may give one a try.

I'm down to just one African violet, from the 7 plantlets I started with. It's the trailer called Ramblin' Amethyst. I'ts growing well and is healthy. I just don't get it. My larger store-bought violets are doing fine, not flowering, but healthy. I've got a ruffled leaf one that is really nice - no clue what color the flowers are as it wasn't flowering when the florist gave it to me. I'll be glad to pass on a leaf or two of that one as well.

Keep us posted on the lights. That is probably my problem with the African violets. Even hubby, who has a shockingly green thumb, is baffled by my plantlets not surviving. *shrug*

touchofsky

Hi all,
I just noticed this thread, and enjoyed reading it.  I kept African violets many years ago and used a light stand.  In those days (this was in the 70's), I just used T12 plant bulbs.  I grew a huge number of different types of violets and had a room devoted to them.  Unfortunately, life got in the way, and I ended up moving several times, and gave away my grow lights, and the violets slowly dwindled.

I only have one left from those days.  It is an amazingly hardy little trailing one with pink flowers.  It flowers profusely with only a brief resting period in the dead of winter.  If everyone would like, I will start some leaves and give you all some plants.  The main plant of this variety that I have is probably about 25 years old, so that shows how tough it is!

sas

Yeah another violet person. :)
Glad you jumped in here.
I'll definitely bite on your offer of a started leaf.
I've got some to share as well, just split a dark purple(I think),
and also just started leaves from a dark red streptocarpus
and also anther one called Texas hot chili. Now to be patient and hopefully they'll
take. The top of my hagen tanks make a nice warm spot to get them going.

That's too bad that you're having such a hard time with the violets Nyx,
it can be so frustrating when they don't flourish.

touchofsky

My little pink trailer is a real toughie.  I started some leaves today, so I hope I will have some plants to spread around.  It is a miniature, as well, so they don't take up much room.

sas

Dorrie

I can't wait for Spring to come to order some of my own :D
I've got my eye on a few minis and trailers

touchofsky

I will start another leaf of the miniature pink trailer that I have for you  :)

sas

Quote from: Dorrie on March 02, 2012, 12:15:37 AM
I can't wait for Spring to come to order some of my own :D
I've got my eye on a few minis and trailers

Apparently you can go ahead and order now and then the leaves/plants are
shipped out when the weather is better.
I can't wait either, sheesh I need more window sills or maybe I should have
bought the three tier light system ::).

Here's a pic of the plants that I grew from leaves that I ordered.

I've since cut off the starter leaf and potted them up to see if I can get a second
growth from the leaves.

Out of the plants that I ordered there are two that are setting blooms. Can't wait to see the colors.
My original variegated violet is putting out more green leaves under the grow light so I should be
able to start some leaves from it this summer hopefully.

touchofsky

They look great!  Very healthy and well cared for  :)

RedFish

I have a bloom!!!   I was so excited when I spotted colour in the window!  Very tiny (they are miniatures), and I suppose when I repot and feed them they might get a big larger.
This is a plain leaf but spotted flower variety.

My other leafs and plants are more than ready for splitting and repotting.  I am heading on holidays and will do this when I get back.

touchofsky

Very nice!  Congratulations on your success  :)

Nyx

Wow, all of your violets are looking so good! I'm really happy for you that they worked out so well. My lone survivor, Ramblin' Amethyst, now has 7 large leaves and another 5 "baby" leaves. She's doing really well. I water her with water from my Endler tank. She's been thriving ever since. I wish I'd known to try that before the others died on me. *shrug*

washefuzzy

Someone decided to transplant my violet. He cut the plant into 4 pieces. All the violets died. I was upset because it was a house warming gift from my sister 10 years ago.  I have another violet which produces white flowers with an edging of  purple. Very pretty. The white flowers bloomed but much to my delight I also had purple blooms to. I hadn't realize  two different violets had been planted together. :) So I still have the plant my sister had given me. Yeah!
I would like to transplant these two violets into separate pots. I'm afraid I might loose the plants when I transplant them so I think I will try to grow some  leaf cuttings first. Just to be on the safe side, that if my violets don't take to  being  transplanted, I will still have  part of the original plant.
Do I need special planting soil to start the plantlets. Do I need to use violet soil to transplant the voilets.

sas

Beautiful bloom RedFish! Which one is this that bloomed?
Nyx, glad to hear you're having some success. Don't worry we'll
be able to restock you in short order :). I actually came across an article
where they mentioned using aquarium water conditioner to treat water
to be used for violets. So there! our hobbies are linked, not only using tank water
but conditioner as well. ;D

Washefuzzy, phew that's great that you still have your sisters' gift.
For leaves I plant them in individual pots and then place them in those large
plastic salad tubs. They are the ones that hold 454g of salad. This way you have a ready made humid spot to start leaves. The leaves need to be kept moist since they have no roots to keep the leaf alive. You need to be careful to not keep them too wet since they will rot.

I use african violet soil but I cut it with vermiculite and perlite to make it a bit lighter, which reduces the chance of rot.
Also use a leaf closer to the centre of the plant, I've had good luck as well with
just any leaf.
When cutting the leaf off use a really sharp knife so you get a good clean cut. I cut mine on a slant, not sure this is a big deal to do or not. Poke a hole in your soil and pop the leaf stem in and push the soil back around the stem, this way you don't bruise the stem. Make sure the leaf doesn't sit in contact with the soil or it will rot for sure.
Hope that helps and I haven't confused you.

So who else has been on bloomlovers site scoping out more violets?
I have :-[, just don't tell hubby :).

Nerine

hehehe there's lots of don't tell hubby in hobbies :D Love the violets everyone!! Looks like they are all doing well :)

Joyce - I have a bag of vermiculite if you'd like some (so you don't have to buy a whole bag of it!)

I am addicted to orchids ....no violets for me :( not yet anyways ;) haha I'm aaaffrraaaid to get one....
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

washefuzzy

Thanks for the info and Nerine I'll take you up on the vermiculite. I don't need alot.

RedFish

I've got three blooming, and photos, but I can't seem to find the time to repot babies or put up photos here.  Must. Find. Time.

But in the meantime, there is an African Violet show and sale coming up the first weekend in May.  Might find some goodies there! http://www.oavs.org/oavs-annual-show/

Been years since I went to one, but they used to have Streptocarpus and Epicias as well.

The three I have blooming are: Bashful (flower description: semi-double/double white pansy fushia mottling), Delta Doll (semi-double magenta star with white streaks) and Persian Prince (semi double blue pansy)

Nyx

I managed to find two very nice variegated leaf African Violets locally, to my surprise. A pink/green leaf with pink flowers at the Orleans Home Depot and a white/green leaf with purple flowers at the Gloucester Rona. I also found a plain leaf with pale greenish-white flowers at Home Depot as well. And all of them are doing really well for me! My Ramblin' Amyethyst trailer violet is still thriving, I'm happy to say as is the ruffled-leaf violet the florist gave me months back. Nothing is flowering but at least the plants themselves are alive and well. Now that we have longer days with more indirect light, I'm hoping they'll flower for me. *keeping my fingers crossed*