New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

'Eco Aquarium' at Toy Stores

Started by Laura, December 17, 2010, 10:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

In my Christmas travels, I've found a disturbing product available at both Scholars Choice and Mrs. Tiggy Winkles toy stores.

http://www.wildcreations.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=35&Itemid=122

Basically, it's 2 African Dwarf frogs with some mature gravel, maybe some eco-complete (or something similar) and a piece of bamboo all in about a litre of water. The instructions say to only change the water once every 3 months and feed the critters 2 pellets/frog 2X per week.

So far I've had very polite conversations with managers, and written very nice letters to the people responsible for the purchasing regarding how inappropriate these habitats are, and how they are not a good quality product which their stores should not be selling.

Unfortunately, they appear to be selling like hotcakes given the holiday season - the price tag was $34.99 at Scholars Choice.

Should you also decide to speak to the management and head offices regarding this product, I encourage you to be nice and help to educate people.  I'm sure in many cases they don't know what they are selling and why it is not a good set-up. If they aren't told differently, then they will continue to think that they're okay.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Brent Shaver

They should know better and the fact that there instructions are so care free it shows they dont care about the animals only sales.  Not to mention these stores should know that it is a well known fact that a pet of any kind for Christmas given to a child isnt a good idea. (yes there are exceptions).  Wish people would use logic the water would evaporate in that time not to mention how toxic it would be.

They should be reported both the retailer and the people selling them to the stores.  I am sure that all the part time help that can barely handle the masses of shopping are all remembering to feed these animals.

Hookup

The instructions say to only change the water once every 3 months and feed the critters 2 pellets/frog 2X per week.

Are these incorrect?  Seems so, but not sure.. never had a frog...

Brine

From the "Care Guide"

Replacing Water:
Change the aquarium water every three (3) months, even if the water appears clean.

here is a link to the on-line care guide for this product.
http://www.wildcreations.com/images/stories/smallbrochureaquarium_v01.02.pdf

Laura

Quote from: Hookup on December 17, 2010, 12:05:04 PM
The instructions say to only change the water once every 3 months and feed the critters 2 pellets/frog 2X per week.

Are these incorrect?  Seems so, but not sure.. never had a frog...

It's insufficient room for 2 frogs, and both insufficient and the wrong type of food for them to thrive.

Most on-line sources talk of an individual frog requiring anywhere between 1-3 gallons of water, hiding places, varied diet (including frozen blood worms often as a staple), and clean water.

A container of that size should be cleaned at least weekly, as you would do with a betta, but either way, it's not big enough for 2 frogs (or a betta IMO).

I think they are trying to do a low-maintenance Walstad-type tank where the plants deal with much of the waste, but that will only work with more plants, a bigger space, the right substrate and moderate stocking.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Hookup

I know i'm on thin ice when i hear the cracking.... (i'm in no way condoning this system, just asking questions to understand what looks like a really bad product).

Are we saying the system;
1. just cannot be successful at all following their instructions and food etc?
2. or that things are not ideal/optimum?

Is the result;
1. a death sentence
2. abuse & suffering
3. poor conditions
4. fine but not idea

As a contrasting point, humans need a balanced diet and exercise and 8 glasses of water each day,etc... The "system" that we use to keep ourselves often times would be far from this "prescribed scenario"... 

Saltcreep

As Hookup said, I'm not condemning, nor making any statement of approval here, but, I do know of someone who has a pair of these frogs and the setup sounds about the same. This is the same young lady I made that white stand and canopy for. I've seen this little tank more than once, and I can tell you, the frogs are really tiny, maybe an inch or so long, and the bamboo plant seems healthy. By just following the water change and feeding instructions, the tank is crystal clear, and, if frogs can actually look happy, these guys do. As far as I know, she's had this little setup for well over a year now. I saw a whole bunch of them in a store we visited in Las Vegas about a year ago. So, I don't know if it's good or bad, but it seems to work. I guess only the frogs know for sure. Ribbit, ribbit.

Laura

That's interesting that her experience with them is good - and debate over this sort of thing is great.

I still believe though that they are being underfed and that the habitat is too small. If fed a proper amount, the waste in the water would be too much for the very irregular water changes. I suspect that they are being kept in a constant state of hunger just to minimize the maintenance.

I agree that the ones at the store looked great and were very active. I have my doubts that they will stay that way with water changes every few months.

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Nerine

I had to put my frogs in a 10 gallon...they ate a LOT...and water changes every couple weeks like the fish...I have had no luck in keeping them in anything smaller than a 10!

But they shouldn't be selling these in this type of setup...it's aimed towards beginners, and beginners shouldn't have tiny setups!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

wu-gwei

This is reminiscent of the turtle lagoons sold in the past. Maybe a gallon of water and a little beach area for it to bask for hatchlings sliders. These rip-off items are a joke. The worst part is consumers believe these instructions and buy them as gifts.

Cheers,
JJ

Hookup

So I do tend to agree with the above... Very much so...

But what about stores that sell fish or corals that are known not to survive?  What about the places where they tell you that your new 8wk old bearded dragon should have sand, and should only require a cricket or two a day?

I'm not saying one makes the other ok, just there is so much miss information and unethical business practice that it makes you wonder if there is a way to make an honest buck...

Sorry... Feeling angry I guess... And no, I did not recently get burned by any of our sponsors...