New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"Tanked" aquarium reality show!

Started by Cheebs, August 14, 2011, 08:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheebs

My lady told me she saw a preview for a TV show premiering soon on TLC called "Tanked".

I took a look on youtube, and found some commercials for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGTmQ5bNU8&feature=related

It looks really interesting! When i first heard about it I was really hoping it'd be more of a show where they go see tons of personal aquariums in peoples' homes, and we could see their setups. Instead, it's a show about an aquarium building company that builds huge, interesting aquariums. I'm excited for it, but after watching the preview, what i'm really itching to see is if they really know their stuff, and do things right :D I can already tell that my true fish-geekiness will really come when I'm watching it with my girlfriend :P

Edit: After watching it one more time, I'm actually pretty concerned about their methods of starting up tanks. We'll see! Do these guys seem a little off to you?

robt18

When I saw they were making a show about it I was really interested but after I watched the teaser I was kinda disappointed... I'm not really interested in watching some guy put plastic ornaments into a fish tank... I want to see the plumbing and lighting specs... probably not what the general population is interested in!

Still might check it out once in a while...

Cheebs

Quote from: robt18 on August 14, 2011, 08:19:46 PM
When I saw they were making a show about it I was really interested but after I watched the teaser I was kinda disappointed... I'm not really interested in watching some guy put plastic ornaments into a fish tank... I want to see the plumbing and lighting specs... probably not what the general population is interested in!

Still might check it out once in a while...

I was thinking the exact same thing. I guess we're a little more fish crazy than the general public, but I was really hoping for that type of show too..

bt

The first episode has already aired in the US, and it's getting pretty mixed reviews on "proper process".  The only reason it's getting mixed reviews instead of bad is that we don't know what processes they're going through that don't make it to air.

JetJumper

Hmm, S01E01 is on my Torrent tracker list.  Time to download and see :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

az

they qoted me 130,000.00 for a big tank, not even a huge tank, before shipping.
:'(
but some nice work they have done.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Hookup

Quote from: JetJumper on August 14, 2011, 10:32:44 PM
Hmm, S01E01 is on my Torrent tracker list.  Time to download and see :)

Hook me up... 

JetJumper

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

JetJumper

Are you into the Torrent scene dan?

dan2x38

Quote from: JetJumper on August 15, 2011, 05:51:32 PM
Are you into the Torrent scene dan?

;) yes but do not know how to do it faster? I use Bitlord.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Wow...That might be kinda interesting.  It's definately playing off the perception of the public when it comes to the sharks though.  I'll be curious to see how the episodes play out.

The market for saltwater fish and their set-ups is about to get a big boost!

bt

Quote from: Fishnut on August 15, 2011, 06:31:54 PMThe market for saltwater fish and their set-ups is about to get a big boost!

That isn't necessarily a good thing if the show is too light on information.  Just look at what happened with Dalmatians after the live action 101 Dalmatians was released.

Fishnut

Yes...I wholeheartedly agree.  Most people live such shallow, media driven lives that they don't stop to think about what they're getting into.  The see a dramatization and want exactly that...but they have no idea that there is a difference between a fictional dramatization and reality.

I cringe whenever pixar comes out with a new animal related film...Rio for example.  As if there's not already enough neglected and mis-understood parrots in the world. >:(  FYI Pixar...parrots shouldn't be drinking coco!!!

Darth

What about finding memo after the movie I saw a talkshow and someone came out with 2 in a goldfish bowl I wonder how many parents just went out and bought a bowl and a few clowns

JetJumper

well, I watched it last night.  They don't really touch base on filtration at all.  They say you need it, but they don't go into details about whats involved.  The show mainly focus' on what people want and them having to build it or implement it whether it be an already established tank or a new build.  Granted they have some sweet tanks that they have to build like a $30,000 quarantine only system with filtration outside burred underground next to the guys drive way

I am sure most of these people that get these systems have a service contract with them to maintain the system as most of them just like to look at stuff.. not work on it :)

az

true, its not 'what car you got' anyomre, its 'what size marine tank you got'.

I was told this how things go sometimes, true story... lady asks 'how much is this clam she is nice' retailer says '$8000', lady replies 'ok I will take 3'.

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Nyx

Gasp and I watched it this evening. We liked it for what it was. Agreed that it's light on info but it's geared towards a general viewing public who won't really care about plumbing and filtration.

By the way, IceFilms is a lot easier to watch stuff at than downloading torrents. You can either stream or download avi files. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

SeaKing

Can anyone post time and channel for this program?

Thanks.

Darth

its not in canada yet, best option is to download it