New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

African violets in Ottawa?

Started by Nyx, September 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Does anyone know where I can purchase African violets in Ottawa that are NOT the standard building center or supermarket fare? I contacted the Ottawa African Violet Society (OAVS) with that very question but was told "not really, no" and pressured to attend a meeting. I don't want to join a flower society, I just want to get a few extra special African violets. Surely there must be some place in this city that carries slightly out of the ordinary house plants? Any ideas?
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Nyx

Thanks very much! I shall figure out where Kemptville is and try to get out there soon. :)

sas

Here's another great spot, out in BC however but the lady that runs
it is wonderful to deal with.

http://mountainviewtropicals.com/

I've bought quite a number of plants from them and they are doing great.
I didn't buy any African violets but I did buy some Chirita and also some
Streptocarpus.

Might be getting too late in the season to order from them but maybe
something to think about for next spring.

SeaKing

I would try Richmond Nursery. They have one of the best selection of plants in the region.

http://www.richmondnursery.com/

Nyx

Thanks Sue and Seaking. I appreciate the links. :)

Nerine

Montreal :) I get most of my plants there!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RedFish

Nyx if you wouldn't mind posting here if you do find some, I want some different ones too.

THe last time I found some real beauties was someone from the African Violet society who posted on usedottawa, but that was several years ago.

Nyx

Anywhere in particular, Nerine? My oldest daughter lives there so I could try to find some on my next visit in October.

Lynn, I've called around and emailed the places listed here but no luck on anything with variegated leaves, which is what I'm looking for. :\

sas

Are you looking for an African violet with variegated leaves?

If so I have one and it's needing to be divided, and I'd love to share a plant with you :).
Trouble is it's only a single pink, but the leaves are just as nice.

Nyx

Sue, that would would be wonderful! I'd be happy to pay for it. Thank you so much! I'll PM you so we can work out the details. You're a doll.  :-*

RedFish

Hey, post some photos of that variegated Violet!

If, IF there is enough I would love one too Sue - if not, it would be great if you could post here again or pm me when it is ready to be split again.

The ones I found several years ago did not have variegated leaves, but had two-colour double flowers and rippled petals.
You see plants like that around, but these were bigger more extravagant flowers.

I used to have many miniature violets and sinningias many years ago, my mother and I loved growing them.

sas

I'll try and get some pics up shortly, and also check to see how many plant-lets I can get off
of the plant. I could also try and start some new ones.

Yes we had miniatures years ago as well, they're also something you rarely see anymore. It's a shame.

Fishnut

There's a place in the market that has lots of different types of house plants.  If you go into the Paper Papier store and go all the way to the back, the back portion of it is a small but jam paced plant and flower shop.  I really don't remember the african violets, but I do remember seeing a lot of other house plants that I've never seen in any of the standard places.

How exactly do you know if an African violet needs to be split?  How do you split it when the leaves die when touched?

Nerine

Umm I shop at a lot of big/small places in Montreal!! But they have so many different varieties of plants :D there's a giant garden center that has tons of statues and garden things, TONS of trees, flowers etc....it's a Botnix I think???
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nyx

Quote from: sas on September 15, 2011, 06:03:14 AM
Yes we had miniatures years ago as well, they're also something you rarely see anymore. It's a shame.

Rona on Innes get the tiny miniature African Violets in fairly regularly.

I also found a Canadian online African Violet store that is supposed to be very reputable, based on online reviews and her eBay rating. http://www.bloomlovers.com/ I've placed an order for a few plantlets with interesting flowers. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

Thanks Nerine and Fishnut for the info on more stores. :)

RedFish

Oh my she has gorgeous plants, I am going to order a few too!    It is going to take a while to go through all the possibilities.

Did you order leaves or plantlets?   Did you order the max for the basic shipping?  I was wondering if you could just add mine to your order and I'll split the shipping.

Edited to add:   I am having flashbacks as I browse her violets.  Lyndon Lyon!   My Mom and I took a bus trip to their greenhouses with a local garden club and we came back with MANY plants or leaves.    Such a fun trip - I was such a nerdy teen!

Nyx

Lynn, doesn't that site have the loveliest African Violets? I ordered the plugs (plantlets). I don't trust myself rooting the leaves just yet and I'm too impatient as well. :) I already placed, finalized and paid my order for 7 plugs yesterday so I won't be able to split the shipping with you. It's being shipped on Monday. Sorry. I would email her directly and find out what she still has available as apparently it's late in her shipping season so she's out of stock of several of the plugs and leaves, especially the fancier varieties.

sas

Okay Claude you are a very bad influence by posting that site.

There are some gorgeous plants there!

I think I'm going to order some plugs as well.

Fishnut I'm no expert but violets put out baby plants as offshoots and
when they get to a decent size that's when I split mine.

Nyx

RedFish

Heh heh, just as well Claude, because I had a list of 8, and I don't know how I could have made the list any smaller.
I have emailed her and hope to find out soon which ones are still available!

Nyx

I'll let you all know how this shipment turns out. I'm really looking forward to it. Everything just isn't about fish tanks all the time, you know?  ;D

sas

Haha Lynn you weren't the only nerdy teen back then.

Here is a quick pic of the variegated violet, and there are definitely two babies so
I'll get them separated and we can go from there.

I was a baaaaaaaaaad girl and put an order in, 5 plugs and 5 leaves.
Hopefully hubby isn't here when they arrive :-[.

I'm going to blame it all on you Claude lol.

RedFish

Quote from: sas on September 16, 2011, 02:56:49 PM
Hopefully hubby isn't here when they arrive :-[.

Oh too funny I was hoping the same thing, that hubby would be out when they arrive.

Thank you sas!  Down the road we can all exchange that which we don't have.

I ordered 5 plugs and 3 leaves (leaves only because they didn't have plugs).

I am going to go get small 4" pots this weekend!

What did everyone order?

Mine are all minis and semi minis.

Bashful
BloomloversCat
Cheers
Delta Doll
Jolly Orchid
Lucky Lass
Peppermint Doll
Persian Prince

Nyx

Quote from: sas on September 16, 2011, 02:56:49 PM

That's okay, Sue, as long as you still share that gorgeous violet with me. She looks exactly like the one that I had that was overwatered and died of crown rot. I can't wait to get a plantlet from you! When's the next OVAS meeting?  ;)

sas

Nyx

My order is:

Standards:

Arapahoe http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/icons/Arapahoe%20101110.JPG

Boréal http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/websize/Boreal.jpg

Cinnamon Candy http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/icons/Cinnamon%20Candy%20091228.JPG

Emerald Love http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/websize/Emerald%20Love%20plant%2090909.jpg

Genetic Blush http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards2/icons/Genetic%20Blush%20plant%202011-03-07.JPG

Trailer:

Ramblin' Amethyst http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards2/icons/Ramblinqu%20Amethyst%20plant%2020110504.JPG

Semi-Miniature:

Cheers http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/minissemis/websize/Cheers%20plant.JPG

My shipment should be here by Wednesday or Thursday! Woot! :)

On waiting list for chimera:

Yukako http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/icons/Yukako%2008-08-03.jpg

Very nice picks, everyone! Yes, Sue, assuming I don't kill any/all if them, I will gladly share when they are mature and have plantets or once they have leaves to spare, depending on how fast you want them.
I'm going to be ordering some African violet leaf propagation pots from eBay to facilitate the process. :)

Dorrie

Quote from: Fishnut on September 15, 2011, 10:12:33 AMHow exactly do you know if an African violet needs to be split?  How do you split it when the leaves die when touched?

I've never heard of any plant having leaves that die when you touch them ??? Can I ask where you got that info?

I've touched my african violets all over with my bare heands when splitting and repotting them, and none of them has passed on from touching. Heck, I've got one that has got to be over 10 years old! I've started numerous plants from just the leaves of that one.

As for your question as to when you know it's time to split an african violet, it's when you notice that you have more than one core, because the leaves are no longer all growing around a single central point, but some of them are on a different angle or face in a different direction. That means you now have more than one plant and it's time to delicately remove the soil and separate the cores, then replant in different pots.

RedFish

How neat that we all ordered different plants.   I see 5 that I drooled over and didn't order (stayed with minis), so if I don't kill mine (I hear ya Claude) we can do some trading down the road!

sas

Definitely interested in trading.
I also grow Streptococcus, if anyone is interested in them. They are very much like
an African violet and just as easy to grow.
Here's a pic of one that I have, it's been blooming since March. It's called,
"Streptocarpus Midnight Flame". Badly needs re-potting but don't want to disturb
it while she blooms.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/holmside/100_1362.jpg

Nyx

That's a lovely plant, Sue, and the blooms are so vibrant! I don't think I've ever seen one before. When you're ready to split her, I'd love one of those as well. :)

sas

Yep sure thing Claude.
I can also take some leaf cuttings and get them started.
Alot of people dislike the Streps because of their long strappy
leaves, but all you need to do is put them in a tall pot.

RedFish

They have arrived, safe and sound.   Beautifully packed I must say.

I will get pics up later - but there isn't much to look at just yet!

sas

Yes! :)
My order arrived as well safe and sound,
beautifully packed.
In the process of sterilizing some pots,
and then getting them potted up.
Definitely nothing exciting to see, unless you're
a plant nut like me, they do look extremely healthy.

Nyx

I'm glad you both received your orders, alive and well, Sue and Lynn. I'm still waiting for mine. I hope it arrives today. :)

eta: Sue, what do you use to sterilize your pots? The ones I want to use to grow them out are plastic, otherwise I throw them in the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle.

sas

Claude I use plastic pots as well, just a mild solution of bleach,
and rinse well.
I'm the dishwasher here so ya.............  :-[

Nyx

Thanks Sue. :) I should be getting my plants today. Tina (Bloom Lovers) said delivery should be Wednesday or Thursday but Canada Post's site says it could take up to 9 days so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my order gets here soon, as both you and Lynn already received yours.

I'm just passing the time taking a pre-beta look at Windows 8. It installed in only 15 minutes from start to finish. I just love beta testing Windows. :D

Nyx

I received my plantlets! They are healthy and so tiny!!

Sue? I need help. Never having planted and African Violet plantlet before, I'm not sure of the correct way to do it and I don't want to kill these little plants. I have African Violet soil and 2" or so plastic pots. Is that the right soil for baby plants? Are the pots too small? I'd appreciate some advice as I'm a bit out of my depth.

sas

:) Not a problem I'll give you a call.

Nyx

Thanks for all your help, Sue. I really appreciate it and it was nice talking with you.  :D

Nyx

So Sue and Lynn, how are your leaves and/or plantlets doing? My plantlets are all still alive, although most of them have lost a leaf or two. The droopiness of the first couple days is gone and they seem to be doing well.

Thanks again for sharing your variegated AV, Sue. It's really lovely. :)

RedFish

My plantlets are still alive, and some have lost a leaf or two as well.   I received three leaves as substitute plantlets, and she sent two of each leaf.   I have lost two of those, one of the doubles, so I still have one of each left.

Thank you Sue also, for sharing your variegated AV, it is nice to have one that is more mature than all the others - plus it is gorgeous!

sas

My guys are all doing well, funny the only leaf that I lost
was off of another baby that I separated from my variegated violet.
I think it was because it was on the small size. It's doing well now
though.
Nice looking plants Lynn. You'll have them blooming in no time.

Glad you guys are happy with the plant. :)

sas

So how is everyone's violets doing?
Any babies from the leaves yet? I have none yet
but it is a bit early.

I was chatting with another fellow fish/plant nerd, and they told me
of a use for all those useless fishbowls.
Place some small pebbles(suppose you could use aquarium gravel),
then put in a layer of potting media. Plant your leaves, cover the bowl
with saran wrap and secure it with an elastic.
Any condensation can be removed by taking the cover off for bit.

Nyx

My plants are all doing well now after a bit of a rough start. I haven't lost any. Yet. I didn't have any leaves. :)

washefuzzy

Hope no one minds me asking. What do you do with a plant when the stalk gets thick and long on an older plant? Which doesn't look very nice.
Thank you

Nyx

I just read about this. Apparently, you cut the plant, about 1-1.5 inches down the stalk and start the plant over the way you would a leaf, with rooting hormone. Or you can also try re-potting it a little deeper. The first method is supposed to be the more correct thing to do, according to the book I had out from the library - the name of which escapes me. :)

sas

Quote from: washefuzzy on October 19, 2011, 09:49:45 AM
Hope no one minds me asking.

Not at all, nice to know there are others out there that love plants. :)

Just to add to what Nyx has mentioned, when planting your violet
deeper, scrape the stalk a little, like you would a carrot. New roots will grow
from this spot.
You might also need to place the entire plant in a plastic tent, to
help stave off water loss, and avoid the droops, like a tiny ICU for the plant.

On a side note I've just put three more leaves from the variegated violet
in medium to start.
I'm using the Gel2root system? Never used this before but it was on sale so
picked it up. Maybe not such a good sign that it was on sale? Anyone else use this product?

Nyx

When do we start fertilizing the baby African violet plants?

sas

I started about 3 weeks after I planted the plugs up.
Some say 2 weeks but I held off, since I'm not growing
under lights.
Any babies from your leaves yet? Mine haven't sprouted yet,
but they aren't dead either, so...........

Nyx

I didn't buy any leaves, just plantlets. I've lost two plantlets. One that I ordered (Cinnamon Candy) and the one that you gave me. No clue why. They have bright indirect light. I'm watering with tepid water and not over-watering. The temperature is constant with no drafts. I'm at a bit of a loss. :(

sas

Aw no :(, that's too bad.
What did the plants look like just before they crashed?

I started some leaves from that variegated one a few weeks
back so you're welcome to try it again if you want. I'll get it started
really well first.

Nyx

Thanks, Sue, I would really love to give it another try. I liked it more than the ones I ordered. As for the plants dying, overnight (literally), they went from looking good to the leaves turning brown and droopy and falling off. It wasn't crown rot. I've seen that before as it's what killed the plant that started me on my quest with violets and because of that, I've been careful to the point of being anal about caring for them.

sas

I find when I first pot up plant lets you have to be really careful
with the amount of water they get. I tend to almost let them get
to the stage of drooping but not quite. Then give them a small
drink.
Their roots are very fine and underdeveloped so it's really easy
to drown them.

Four out of five of the leaves that I bought have finally sprouted, phew,
this is another hobby that teaches patience. :-\

Nyx

Thanks for the info, Sue. I'm not terribly patient by nature but I'm learning.  ;D

Fishnut

I have a couple of generic violets (Loblaws variety) and they don't get water until I notice the leaves are drooping...then they get fish tank water that I pore into the dish under the pot.  Depending on how droopy those leaves are, I might give them another shot when I see the water has been completely absorbed into the pot.

They're doing great!  I actually have to separate one of them because it turns out there was more than 1 plant in the pot when I got it.

You guys should post more recent pics!

Nyx

Update on my African violets. *sigh* Out of 7 plantlets, I have three left. One, the Ramblin' Amethyst trailer is growing and thriving. Two others, called Boreal and Emerald Love, are hanging on for dear life. The rest have moved on to greener pastures, metaphorically speaking. :(

sas

Sorry to hear you've lost some Nyx :(.
I bought Emerald Love as well, here is a pic off the website of it,

http://photos.imageevent.com/bloomlovers/standards/websize/Emerald%20Love%20090909.jpg

and it's got bloom buds coming so if yours doesn't make it I'll share a leaf  with
you if you like? Hint Hint I'd love a leaf off of your Ramblin Amethyst, I've never grown a trailer
before :-[.

I made the mistake of fertilizing mine too much and they got a little leggy
but they're coming along slowly. My problem is I'm growing them on window sills
and so growth is slow. Ummmmmmmmm maybe I should scrap the 6' tank(since it's full
of hair algae) and turn it into a violet home?
Anyway just think spring is around the corner :D.

RedFish

Like Sas, I'm growing mine on a window sill and growth is very slow.  I haven't lost any, and I am 100% sure that is due to wicking them, otherwise I would have forgot to water and they would all be dead.

The leaves I bought have finally created babies, and this spring I will transplant the babies to their own little pots.

Since the leaves lived, I think I'll try propagating new plants from leaves off the plantlets I bought.

Once I have some small plantlets going, and the babies have taken root, I would be happy to pass on any of them to anyone who wants some!   I'm terribly slow at 'getting around' to doing things though.

My Mom used to grow Violets (and many others plants) and she had a superb multi shelf lighting setup.   My Dad offered it to me a few years ago, and I turned it down due to space constraints.  Now I'm wishing I had found space!!!

I need to do some research on building or buying a light setup.   Find out what lights work, but also if certain ones use less electricity than others.    Has anyone reseached this at all?

Nyx

Sue, my Ramblin' Amethyst is growing really well so I will very gladly share a leaf with you. My Emerald Love is holding on by a wing and a prayer but it's not looking good. I appreciate offers of leaves and plantlets and will take you both up on them if I can get a better plant set-up going. There's no point otherwise as they'll probably die. *shrug*

I should mention that if you are trying to start variegated leaves into plants, it's best to have leaves with more green as they need the chlorophyll to thrive, according to the owner of whatever the place was we ordered the plants from.

On the upside, our two planted tanks are thriving! So my thumb is getting a little bit less black. :)

sas

Quote from: Nyx on February 02, 2012, 11:16:01 AM

I should mention that if you are trying to start variegated leaves into plants, it's best to have leaves with more green as they need the chlorophyll to thrive, according to the owner of whatever the place was we ordered the plants from.

Thanks for that little bit of info, should have known.
So far so good with all of mine that I ordered, in fact I'm just in the process
of trying to get a second round of plants started from the leaves that I ordered.
Keep your fingers crossed.
I also invested in a two tier floralight system from Lee Valley.
I've always wanted to grow house plants under lights and finally made the leap.
We shall see how it goes.

Anyone interested in the Streptocarpus plants? I find them quite a bit
easier to grow than violets.
Here's a great site with lots of beautiful pics.

http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/

Check out the right side of the screen for all the gorgeous pics.

I can see my Sunblaster lights being used for houseplants in the future ::).
Oh well............

Nyx

Sue, the streptocarpus are lovely. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen some, placed with the African violets, at Home Depot (Orleans). I may give one a try.

I'm down to just one African violet, from the 7 plantlets I started with. It's the trailer called Ramblin' Amethyst. I'ts growing well and is healthy. I just don't get it. My larger store-bought violets are doing fine, not flowering, but healthy. I've got a ruffled leaf one that is really nice - no clue what color the flowers are as it wasn't flowering when the florist gave it to me. I'll be glad to pass on a leaf or two of that one as well.

Keep us posted on the lights. That is probably my problem with the African violets. Even hubby, who has a shockingly green thumb, is baffled by my plantlets not surviving. *shrug*

touchofsky

Hi all,
I just noticed this thread, and enjoyed reading it.  I kept African violets many years ago and used a light stand.  In those days (this was in the 70's), I just used T12 plant bulbs.  I grew a huge number of different types of violets and had a room devoted to them.  Unfortunately, life got in the way, and I ended up moving several times, and gave away my grow lights, and the violets slowly dwindled.

I only have one left from those days.  It is an amazingly hardy little trailing one with pink flowers.  It flowers profusely with only a brief resting period in the dead of winter.  If everyone would like, I will start some leaves and give you all some plants.  The main plant of this variety that I have is probably about 25 years old, so that shows how tough it is!

sas

Yeah another violet person. :)
Glad you jumped in here.
I'll definitely bite on your offer of a started leaf.
I've got some to share as well, just split a dark purple(I think),
and also just started leaves from a dark red streptocarpus
and also anther one called Texas hot chili. Now to be patient and hopefully they'll
take. The top of my hagen tanks make a nice warm spot to get them going.

That's too bad that you're having such a hard time with the violets Nyx,
it can be so frustrating when they don't flourish.

touchofsky

My little pink trailer is a real toughie.  I started some leaves today, so I hope I will have some plants to spread around.  It is a miniature, as well, so they don't take up much room.

sas

Dorrie

I can't wait for Spring to come to order some of my own :D
I've got my eye on a few minis and trailers

touchofsky

I will start another leaf of the miniature pink trailer that I have for you  :)

sas

Quote from: Dorrie on March 02, 2012, 12:15:37 AM
I can't wait for Spring to come to order some of my own :D
I've got my eye on a few minis and trailers

Apparently you can go ahead and order now and then the leaves/plants are
shipped out when the weather is better.
I can't wait either, sheesh I need more window sills or maybe I should have
bought the three tier light system ::).

Here's a pic of the plants that I grew from leaves that I ordered.

I've since cut off the starter leaf and potted them up to see if I can get a second
growth from the leaves.

Out of the plants that I ordered there are two that are setting blooms. Can't wait to see the colors.
My original variegated violet is putting out more green leaves under the grow light so I should be
able to start some leaves from it this summer hopefully.

touchofsky

They look great!  Very healthy and well cared for  :)

RedFish

I have a bloom!!!   I was so excited when I spotted colour in the window!  Very tiny (they are miniatures), and I suppose when I repot and feed them they might get a big larger.
This is a plain leaf but spotted flower variety.

My other leafs and plants are more than ready for splitting and repotting.  I am heading on holidays and will do this when I get back.

touchofsky

Very nice!  Congratulations on your success  :)

Nyx

Wow, all of your violets are looking so good! I'm really happy for you that they worked out so well. My lone survivor, Ramblin' Amethyst, now has 7 large leaves and another 5 "baby" leaves. She's doing really well. I water her with water from my Endler tank. She's been thriving ever since. I wish I'd known to try that before the others died on me. *shrug*

washefuzzy

Someone decided to transplant my violet. He cut the plant into 4 pieces. All the violets died. I was upset because it was a house warming gift from my sister 10 years ago.  I have another violet which produces white flowers with an edging of  purple. Very pretty. The white flowers bloomed but much to my delight I also had purple blooms to. I hadn't realize  two different violets had been planted together. :) So I still have the plant my sister had given me. Yeah!
I would like to transplant these two violets into separate pots. I'm afraid I might loose the plants when I transplant them so I think I will try to grow some  leaf cuttings first. Just to be on the safe side, that if my violets don't take to  being  transplanted, I will still have  part of the original plant.
Do I need special planting soil to start the plantlets. Do I need to use violet soil to transplant the voilets.

sas

Beautiful bloom RedFish! Which one is this that bloomed?
Nyx, glad to hear you're having some success. Don't worry we'll
be able to restock you in short order :). I actually came across an article
where they mentioned using aquarium water conditioner to treat water
to be used for violets. So there! our hobbies are linked, not only using tank water
but conditioner as well. ;D

Washefuzzy, phew that's great that you still have your sisters' gift.
For leaves I plant them in individual pots and then place them in those large
plastic salad tubs. They are the ones that hold 454g of salad. This way you have a ready made humid spot to start leaves. The leaves need to be kept moist since they have no roots to keep the leaf alive. You need to be careful to not keep them too wet since they will rot.

I use african violet soil but I cut it with vermiculite and perlite to make it a bit lighter, which reduces the chance of rot.
Also use a leaf closer to the centre of the plant, I've had good luck as well with
just any leaf.
When cutting the leaf off use a really sharp knife so you get a good clean cut. I cut mine on a slant, not sure this is a big deal to do or not. Poke a hole in your soil and pop the leaf stem in and push the soil back around the stem, this way you don't bruise the stem. Make sure the leaf doesn't sit in contact with the soil or it will rot for sure.
Hope that helps and I haven't confused you.

So who else has been on bloomlovers site scoping out more violets?
I have :-[, just don't tell hubby :).

Nerine

hehehe there's lots of don't tell hubby in hobbies :D Love the violets everyone!! Looks like they are all doing well :)

Joyce - I have a bag of vermiculite if you'd like some (so you don't have to buy a whole bag of it!)

I am addicted to orchids ....no violets for me :( not yet anyways ;) haha I'm aaaffrraaaid to get one....

washefuzzy

Thanks for the info and Nerine I'll take you up on the vermiculite. I don't need alot.

RedFish

I've got three blooming, and photos, but I can't seem to find the time to repot babies or put up photos here.  Must. Find. Time.

But in the meantime, there is an African Violet show and sale coming up the first weekend in May.  Might find some goodies there! http://www.oavs.org/oavs-annual-show/

Been years since I went to one, but they used to have Streptocarpus and Epicias as well.

The three I have blooming are: Bashful (flower description: semi-double/double white pansy fushia mottling), Delta Doll (semi-double magenta star with white streaks) and Persian Prince (semi double blue pansy)

Nyx

I managed to find two very nice variegated leaf African Violets locally, to my surprise. A pink/green leaf with pink flowers at the Orleans Home Depot and a white/green leaf with purple flowers at the Gloucester Rona. I also found a plain leaf with pale greenish-white flowers at Home Depot as well. And all of them are doing really well for me! My Ramblin' Amyethyst trailer violet is still thriving, I'm happy to say as is the ruffled-leaf violet the florist gave me months back. Nothing is flowering but at least the plants themselves are alive and well. Now that we have longer days with more indirect light, I'm hoping they'll flower for me. *keeping my fingers crossed*

RedFish

Went to the show on Saturday and the sales table was insane.   I arrived perhaps 10 minutes after it opened, and the sales table was jam packed.  No-one allowed me to squeeze in, or peek over a shoulder.   I waited patiently, and no space opened up, so I ended up asking and apologizing for stretching an arm in to lift a plant and have a look.    It was so busy I left it and wandered the show plants, then when I returned 20 minutes later there was space to see things but it had been cleaned out!   At least cleaned out of most of the really different plants.  Variegated leaved plants were gone.

I bought leaves for Irish Flirt, after one of the OAVS members raved on about it.  Double bright green and white star flowers, with medium green wavy leaves.  Semi-miniature.  A profuse bloomer.

I met Trina, from Bloomlovers.   We had a lovely chat.  Btw, if anyone decides to make another order, there is just ONE more that I want.

Many of the show plants were for sale as well, at differing prices.   I bought Prancing Pony, a semi minature with Double dark pink pansy/dark blue fantasy flowers.  I also bought Rob's Combustible Pigeon (!!!), pictured here:

There were many stunning violets (as well as Streptocarpus and others).
Some of my favourites were:
Ma's Watermelon (this was my #1 fav)

Crimson Ice:

Buckeye Seductress:

I absolutely WANT a deep red.   This is a terrible picture of a stunning minature.   It was already sold or I would have bought it.  Precious Red.  Trina from Bloomlovers thinks she has a Jolly variety that is deep red.

Optima Van Gogh:

Athena:

sas

Nice very nice, so glad someone made it out to the show.
Thanks for posting pics they're great!
Really like Rob's Combustible Pigeon as well as
Buckeye Seductress.

I'm pretty sure I have Optima Van Gogh if anyone is interested in a leaf.
I'm going to try to get to the May OVAS meeting since it is the elections so
if anyone wants to trade leaves? ;)

Quote,
"I met Trina, from Bloomlovers.   We had a lovely chat.  Btw, if anyone decides to make another order, there is just ONE more that I want."

That's nice that you got to meet Trina. I had another order all set to go but the better half questioned where I thought I was going to have room for more plants so a scrapped the order. We need a bigger house!