New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What do you feed your dog?

Started by elk, March 11, 2012, 01:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

To all dog owners,Im looking to change the food for my boston terrier.

Any recomendations.

Thanks

A6tiger

We feed our dog with nutrience that we buy at la niche in gatineau this is a good compromise between the vet food and the commercial dog food

NanoSF

I have tried many many different dog foods because my dog has had a lot of stomach and allergy problems. By far we have found Nutram to be the best food. I was recommended Nutram by someone else who went through many dogs food as well before always using Nutram now. It's a Canadian company too if that is something that influences you. I use the sensitive dog version.

Hookup

From foods are what we feed...   no complaints...   

Greatwhite

I was feeding my dogs Royal Canin food - until they decided to make the bags 10% smaller, and charge 10% more.  I'm now feeding Performatrin, from Pet Valu.  It's Canadian made, good ingredients, and my dogs love it. 

I have a Beagle and a Lab, ages 8 & 9, so I get the adult formula.  And since one of the dogs is big, I get the large breed adult stuff.  I figure anything good they put in for big dogs joints is equally good for my Beagle. :)  Both dogs have allergy problems, and this stuff is great for them. 

They got a little chubby off Royal Canin, so I started with adult weight control formula, and got them down to a good size before switching to the regular adult stuff.

Oh - they also have organic, 1 protein, and "alternate diet" foods like.. uhh.. Duck & Tomato?  In case your dog has real fun dietary problems.

The price is great for quality food.

elk

Does anyone use ORIJEN  dog food made by Champion Pet Foods

touchofsky

I haven't used Orijen, however, I have used many types over the years, including Taste of the Wild, Canidae & Wellness.

wandmangels

At this time we are using eukanuba large breed puppy.
@ 5 months he's a 50lb mix breed husky/irish wolfhound(mother) x with shepard/lab(father)

Nyx

We were feeding our two dogs the Royal Canin Mobility Support formula from the vet. We needed if for our older Pommie who passed away last month. But it's $126 (incl tax) for a 30 lb bag and has ingredients like corn and corn glutten meal that we'd rather not feed our dogs. So, after a lot of research, we are gradually switching to Performatrin Ultra. We use the Slim Care Salmon and Olive Oil formula for our chubby 5 year old American Eskimo/Pomeranian mix and the Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice formula for our newly adopted 8 month old Pommie mix. The Slim Care is $75 (incl tax) for a 28 lb bag so it's cheaper than the one available only through the vet by quite a bit and the ingredients are better.

http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/ddi_salmon.htm

http://www.performatrinultra.com/puppy/pdi_chicken.htm
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Greatwhite

I used to feed Canidae. But stopped when my dogs got real fat. Lots of good stuff in there...  Maybe too much good stuff.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bgjfka

elk

I was at The Pampered Pet on Bank st. for more info on dog food and they gave me a bunch of free samples of food.
My boston terrier is extremely picky with the smell and taste of food.
I bought a bag of Orijen 6 fish and he went absolutely crazy for this food.
A little pricey but its grainless and high in protein.
80.00 for 33 pounds

Anyways I want to say thanks for all the quick responses.

Louie

yellowtang

from my own personal experience with my two dogs
golden retriver and my miniature schenauzer to which i can say
are very picky eaters. I can recomend Performatrin
which i have been feeding my dogs for years.
they have 5 types.
puppy food, senior,adults, low calories and
weight maintenance... most of their food
does not contain fillers like corn or unwanted
ingredients. Pet value sells it
also i may suggest eagle pack,wellness
or blue buffalo..
cheers.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

touchofsky

Yes, the Canidae will put on weight, because if you look at the calorie count, it is higher per cup than a lot of other foods.  I ended up having to feed less when they were on Canidae.

freshfishies

Quote from: elk on March 12, 2012, 07:58:58 AM
Does anyone use ORIJEN  dog food made by Champion Pet Foods

This is IMO one of the better foods out there. I read up a lot on it when I worked at a pet shop that offered it and switched our dog at the time to it. It's one of the closest bagged foods to actually just feeding meat and vegetables!

Greatwhite

Quote from: touchofsky on March 12, 2012, 08:39:53 PM
Yes, the Canidae will put on weight, because if you look at the calorie count, it is higher per cup than a lot of other foods.  I ended up having to feed less when they were on Canidae.

My dogs are pigs...  They are ALWAYS hungry, and if I cut down their portions too much - they are relentless.  My dad & I did a lot of research on dog food to find the best one, with the best ingredients and that led us to Canidae for sure. 

We did some bulk buying from Pet Valu in Kingston and got a free bag every 5 so that helped to balance out the cost of the food, although I made up for any savings in gas to & from Kingston.   :-\

touchofsky

Yes, I agree the high calorie can be a problem, because it looks like you aren't giving them much to eat.  I ended up feeding my older one the weight management in Canidae.  That way, I could give him a larger portion!  He has now turned really, really picky on me as he has gotten older, so I end up switching around on foods just to keep him interested.  My younger one will eat anything  :)

Peekay

I feed Blue Buffalo, and buy a different flavour each time I need a new bag, with no tummy issues for pup, because after all, variety is the spice of life. 

It's the best nutrition I've found at a Petsmart price point. 
And definitely follow each food's specific portion size.. my brother in law was shocked at how 'little' we feed our 'poor' dog, but increasing even 1/4 c/day caused rapid bulking up!

Saltcreep

Small cats.

Just kidding, relax folks - just a joke. We actually have two cats too. My wife usually does the shopping for this but I do know we're on Blue Buffalo dog food. Recommended by two vets and the pet store staff. Reasonable price and Finnegan seems to like it more than most. If he doesn't like it he'll simply walk away from it and won't eat. If it's one he likes, you can't tear him away.

Lockpick

Lurch1

President's Choice. Its about $35 for a big bag and my 2 dogs (labs) have never had healthier looking coats. I think we can get suckered in to cutting off or right arm to pay for "premium" dog food, when there is a lot of stuff available.