New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Changed it up again. Something just irks me about it and I can't figure it out so I'm coming to you guys to hopefully help me.
Thank you guys,
Brendan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaticfinatic

fischkopp

Quote from: bettabreeder on October 28, 2013, 05:03:06 PM
Changed it up again. Something just irks me about it and I can't figure it out so I'm coming to you guys to hopefully help me.

That tends to happen! :) But it's getting there. I would change the rocks around, looks to "lined up" for me. Try to group them, make one side more pronounced compared to the other, let the rock point in the same direction following their "flow" (the proper term escapes me her). Lots to play around with.

Happy aquascaping!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Welcome to my world  :D, the goal to keep in mind is that it`s you that will see the tank daily & as such when you have some comfort within your self of what looks good to your eyes today is what you go with.
That said here is something that might serve as some inspiration for you.
Borrowed from the net  ;)

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on October 29, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
Welcome to my world  :D, the goal to keep in mind is that it`s you that will see the tank daily & as such when you have some comfort within your self of what looks good to your eyes today is what you go with.
That said here is something that might serve as some inspiration for you.
Borrowed from the net  ;)
It's funny you posted that picture Errol. Just today I was thinking about taking the five rocks on the left and making them the center piece of the tank in the middle with HC and glosso on the sides

charlie

Brendan keep in mind that the Dragon stone is easily broken into small pieces with a hammer if you need smaller pieces
Errol

bettabreeder

News flash! Latest developments...

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on October 29, 2013, 05:15:31 PM
Brendan keep in mind that the Dragon stone is easily broken into small pieces with a hammer if you need smaller pieces
Errol
for sure! That's how I made 5 rocks for the left side out of two. I'm personally not a fan of how the inside of the rock looks so once it's broken it limits the angle I have to work with especially if I had a design in mind.

daworldisblack

Lol don't you just love reading week! Keep updates coming!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 30, 2013, 10:36:57 AM
Lol don't you just love reading week! Keep updates coming!
absolutely! I have a day off tomorrow from work so I'm going to replant and rearrange rocks tomorrow

exv152

Having the same rock throughout makes big difference. Nice job!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Quote from: exv152 on October 30, 2013, 09:21:53 PM
Having the same rock throughout makes big difference. Nice job!
thanks! I wasn't 100% content with the rocks tho.

So in that news there is a huge update when I get home from work today

bettabreeder

Here we go!
Comments and suggestions always welcome

daworldisblack

Lol you know you got free time when.. hahaha.. usually the rule-of-third works well in off-centering the center-piece/focal point. Maybe a move slightly to the left or right would be ideal but its a personal preference. I kinda like this too!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Much better. Also, I would choose the biggest rock to make the focal point, and set it off center, the others should be smaller to not detract from that focal piece.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

I can try and lift the middle rock tomorrow. Everything in the tank seems to be happy right now

bettabreeder

How is this looking?

bettabreeder

Updated as I had some time on the weekend to work on it

charlie

I would put the stem plants behind the rock scape, probably a stem like Rotala indica/ rotundifolia & let the foreground plants carpet the rest of the tank, just an idea .
How is that Hagen CO 2 keeping up?
Errol

bettabreeder

Hey Errol. I'll give that a shot. There isn't a whole lot of space available behind the rock scape. And I'm running two DIY CO2 until I can get my 5lbs tank filled again and find out what's wrong with my regulator. It lasts for about 2/3 weeks before having to make a new batch. Had some algae problems but raised the light and had a blackout period which appeared to help a lot.