New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

20g Utricularia and moss tank pics

Started by jrs, November 07, 2008, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrs

Here is my latest project that I am doing with my class. 

specs:
20g - 12x24
2x65W PC - 10 hr photoperiod
Pressurized CO2
dose on demand ferts
eco complete substrate

flora:
christmas moss walls
Utricularia graminofolia foreground
Blyxa japonica (left)
Pogostemon helferi (middle)
Hemianthus micranthemoides (middle)
Altheranthera reineckii 'lilicina" (right)
Fissidens fontanus (driftwood)

fauna:
white clouds
amano shrimp
Otos
rock shrimp

overall impression:
-exceptionally difficult to keep the mosses out of the UG
- would not recommend the mixture of UG and larger frond mosses

Adam

Looks great.  Do you have a straight on photo of everything?
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

jrs

None of the straight on shots looked very good to me buy here is one

Adam

That moss wall looks great.  Do you find you have little pieces of moss floating around all the time?
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

bojon

awesome. :o..how long does it take the tank to get to this?

jrs

As I mentioned in the first post the big difficulty that I find with moss and UG is that because the carpet is so thick the small pieces if moss that do float around end up wedging themselves deep within the UG and then spread and grow.  This translates into a lot of maintenance to remove the excess pieces of moss.

This tank took me about 2 months to grow out and I would say that it is about 80% complete.