New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

90G Planted Tank Lighting

Started by Glenn, January 12, 2006, 03:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvv

You will not be able to get your lamps in HD... But I like them - they are really bright and intensive.

Glenn

At http://www.jlaquatics.com  the prices between the VHO bulbs and parts are all the same price (or very close) so cost would be very similar to retro one.  A 48" T5 bulb only uses 54W, versus 110W for VHO.  Hmmm will have to do some more digging. . .

Glenndon

NjOyRiD

what kind of fixture do i have to buy to put VHO bulbs?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

Glenn:  Yes, but the T5 will produce more than "half the light of the 110w VHO"; this is a perfect example of where the WPG rule doesn't really work comparing different lighting types.  T5's are MUCH MUCH more efficient than VHO's.

54w T5's are actually HO T5's.

NO T5 uses 28w:  ~2900 lumens (104 lumens per watt)
HO T5 uses 54w:  ~5000 lumens (93 lumens per watt)
VHO T12 uses 110w:  ~5940 lumens (54 lumsns per watt)

Now, YES lumens is only one way to look at light output and isn't necessarily the best way to compare them (as lumens only measure light your eye can see).  But, it does illustrate the point that HO/VHO bulbs of any type become less and less efficient as you drive more power through them.

Mettle

I'd personally be looking to retrofit the strip that came with my tank as it matches the decor. If I could fit one 110w VHO in there I'd be happy. Or two 55w cf. Either/or.