New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Super slow or not at all.

Started by babblefish1960, January 22, 2007, 05:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

I know I'm getting long in the tooth, but I couldn't help but notice that the website, for reasons known only to itself, seems to be not only very slow in refreshing a page or moving throughout the site, but also disappears completely without so much as a "by your leave".

I'm not really saying that the webmaster has been bad, but as I noticed this was happening to other users at different IP addresses, I knew it was more than mere punishment.

Is it just that the website is so slow now that it times out when trying to move around, or is there some other greater reason?

babblefish1960

I must expand on this a wee bit, we use sympatico, (or they use us, I'm not sure) and it has been frustrating to suddenly have OVAS disappear, and on occasion, spend hours trying to reconnect. It seems to only be this site, and I was wondering if the APW has a "fix-it" switch or magic word he could use to remedy this? You go get 'em DD, knock 'em flat, they are driving me nuts.

BigDaddy

The slowness is one issue, which will be resolved with the move to the newer "high CPU" server

The site issues you are having are a specific DNS issue with Sympatico.  The APW has been complaining to them each and every time it occurs.

darkdep

And god love em, it just doesn't matter because those Bell guys just don't give a damn.

babblefish1960

I guess that is the issue entirely, they are a poor provider and snitty about it as well. It is a horrible contract to be stuck in, but I have no idea who would be any better to deal with.

charlie

Quote from: DarkDep on January 24, 2007, 12:13:27 PM
And god love em, it just doesn't matter because those Bell guys just don't give a damn.

How about if all the Bell subscribers on OVAS sign a complaint / petition about the sympatico - OVAS issue & see if that helps a bit, it might be worth a shot .
Regards

beowulf

Weird I also use Sympatico and do not seem to have any issues with the site.

babblefish1960

They're probably afraid of you beowulf, I don't seem capable of instilling obedience in corporations. :-\

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on January 24, 2007, 10:36:41 PM
They're probably afraid of you beowulf, I don't seem capable of instilling obedience in corporations. :-\

They must be because they where suppose to give me a free MP3 player when I moved and they didn't because of an error on their side.  I complained enough that I got 6 months free of high speed internet!!!  ;D

babblefish1960

Interesting afternoon today, it would appear that the site disappeared for everyone for a few hours. Sounded as though the APW was working madly like a whirling Dervish to bring it back, and well, here we seem to be for the moment. :)

Iceman

Quote from: beowulf on January 24, 2007, 10:31:09 PM
Weird I also use Sympatico and do not seem to have any issues with the site.

Ditto.

babblefish1960

Bah, you're just another scary guy with ice in your veins, who ever cringed in terror when the babbling fish walked in the room. :P  We here are suffering continual interruption as sympatico keeps telling us there is no such thing as ovas, luckily for everyone, half of my posts have been lost as a result. :(

Iceman

I think I am lucky as the Bell easement is about ten feet from my front door. Maybe a bit more. My highspeed service is, well, highspeed. The OVAS site always loads quick at my location.

I suppose Babblefish could be right that a scrawny, lightweight Irishman could instill fear into the mind of a giant.

Quote from: babblefish1960 on January 26, 2007, 01:54:21 PMwho ever cringed in terror when the babbling fish walked in the room. :P

Who ever cringed is not the Iceman.

Of course Iceman hasn't met Babblefish yet.

s0me

Sympatico has always been known to have poor DNS servers. You can always use an external DNS to help resolve the site. I had posted a how to long ago on how to change your DNS in Windows.

I myself have had no issues with the site, slow at times, but I'm sure it's just the high load on the server...

babblefish1960

Are you referring to something I can do on my own computer to bypass this problem with sympatico?

babblefish1960

Still spending an inordinate amount of time and effort staying connected, back to making copies of pm's just in case they don't go through. I'm sure everyone appreciates the sudden reduction of meandering posts though. :P

fishycanuck

Oh, and here I thought Babble had mended his ways.... too bad!
:'(