New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

searching for specific cichlids

Started by mysterysnail, September 07, 2015, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysterysnail

Hey all,
So as my obsession grows, my next project will be a "lower agression" cichlid setup. If anyone knows where i could get the following it would be awesome.
    •  Metriaclima estherae
    •  Pseudotropheus saulosi 
    •  Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" 

I just inherited my dads 55, and will be setting it up over the next few weeks. Would be looking to get around 6-8 of each so i can pick my 1 male to 3-5 female ratio.
Tanks currently cycled and has an 18" common pleco  i will relocate. Will be building caves and adding substraight soon

lucius

Graham

I'd just like to point out that the Metriaclima estherae will not be aiding you in the lower aggression set up you are trying to achieve. I speak from experience when I say they were one of the most troublesome fish to keep calm. Especially if you have more than one male in that bunch. They will also breed like rabbits, so be prepared. You could probably do quite a nice set up with just saulosi and because a 55 with 18- 24 full grown mbuna will be quite a stretch in my opinion. Some of the lower aggressive cichids i'd agree with are the acei, yellow lab, and potentially the saulosi but again with that tank size I wouldn't venture putting 6-8 of each species in there.

mysterysnail

Thx for the link.
Also thanks for the info graham. I do however still want to try the estherae. One question i had, do you have the red x red ones, or the blue male orange female. I have heard the red strain is more agressive, and grows larger. Also the 6-8 of each species would only be till they reach the age they could be sexed. Then i would keep only 1 male and the rest of the females leaving me hopefully with a 1:3 ratio.
Basically these 3 fish are a part of several "less agressive mbuna" cookie cutter setups for a 55 gallon tank.
They also give the best colour spread being light blue and orange for estherae, dark blue and yellow for saulosi and purple/yellow for acei while no chance of cross breading. Also since no lfs keep any of these frequently, but are still popular fish, selling fry should be fairly simple. Sales guys at 2 lfs have told me they have been looking for saulosi for years.

sanny

Ive bought salousis from Big Als a few times as trade ins... just keep on checking haha

Mike L

Did you contact Jody. He works daily at the east end store.

mysterysnail

Ya I posted on their forum, they say they get the yellow tails and red zebra from time to time (red x red strain), but haven't had saulosi in a while.

I might just see if I can get red zebra and yellow tails from here, and get the saulosi from Toronto or montreal.
Been meaning to go to shrimp fewer anyway.