New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Long time listener, first time caller

Started by Adama, January 18, 2007, 01:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adama

Server down + boredom + fish obsession = new member of OVAS  :)

PaleoFishGirl

Welcome, Adama!

Soon to be OVAS addict like the rest of us, I'm sure!

Looking forward to hearing more about what kind of fish you keep, etc.

babblefish1960

Well hello there bored and obsessed, I am sure you have started an interesting conversation just by saying fish obsessed, you can't just leave it there, the obsession must be described with all the gory details.

Water based addiction is what we are all about, providing of course it supports life.

You are obviously a mathematician of sorts given your formulaic approach to joining the website, there are some holes in your quantified statement. How for example could be a Commander of the last Battlestar be bored with all those Cylons about. Amd if your server is down, how did you get here? These and more questions can be pointed in your direction should you find the time away from the fish.

Paleofishgirl asked a good question, what fish do you obsess over, looking forward to more tidbits.

Adama

And by server I meant network. You probably already know that I don't network the computers on my ship lest the cylons should exploit my systems defences with a virus.

Moving along to reality. I've recently cured myself of MTS and am down to one 54 gallon angel, rainbow, gourami, and loach tank with a few little extras. My newest obsession are catfish.

That's all for now. Can't give it all away on the first post. You understand.

babblefish1960

Perfectly plausible, as the Galactica escaped the cylons by being old technology to prevent pirating the ships control systems. Very clever.

There may well be dry drunks, but there are never cures for multiple tank syndrome. Having one 54 gallon tank is a good start, all you need are a few fry to show you the error in your thinking and you'll be back at it before you know it.

What sort of catfish are you sporting?

This is going to be like pulling teeth isn't it?

Adama

Right now I have a pictus cat, and a spotted raphael. The pictus is very lively and fun to watch, whereas watching (when you can see him) the spotted raphael is akin to watching paint dry. I'll give you a complete run down of the other fish inhabiting the same tank:

3 angelfish (2 koi, 1 black)
2 tiger barbs
2 crossing rainbows
2 bosemani rainbows
3 skunk loach
5 harlequin rasboras (down from 15)
1 clown loach
1 blue german ram
2 dwarf honey red gouramis
1 pearl gourami
1 thick lipped gourami

My tank is a 54 gallon Oceanic corner unit powered by a fluval 304 and 2 plus. Heater is a tronic 300 watt, and my background is a south american river scene. Hope that satisfies your curiosity for the time being.

PaleoFishGirl

Ooh I'm intrigued... what is a 'crossing rainbow'? :)

babblefish1960

I think those are the things you see in the sky after a rain that have cauldrons of gold at an end with little Irish Leprachauns guarding them. :)

Adama

You're killing me babblefish :S

A 'crossing rainbow' is a fictious fish that only exists on a label in a fish store that I can't remember. Now I'm intrigued as to what the heck I've got swimming around in my tank. I'll let you know what they are when I find out.

PaleoFishGirl

babblefish1960

I must have finally pulled on the correct tooth, that looks an awful lot like a list of fish.

If you were to post a picture of the mysterious Irish fishy, we could all chime in with what we think it is, though I doubt the fish has any doubts as to its own identity.

babblefish1960

I have to add about your observation surrounding the spotted raphael, it is an african nocturnal croaking catfish that has a curious habit of wedging itself into bits of wood. It is when the lights go out that this predator starts to show off. He cruises around the tank in stealth mode, quietly coasting about looking for food, the things he eats though are sleeping fish. Watching them cruise in the dark is startling, especially once you see just how large that mouth actually opens. It always reminded me of the submarine in a Bond film that swallowed up other subs.

I would suggest that the ten harlequin raspboras missing in action turned up as lumps in his belly, they are the perfect size for him and I'm positive he's very grateful. :)

Have you determined the actual nomenclature of your rainbow crossing fish? Pictures might be good.