New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Started by 3Kitty3, September 17, 2005, 05:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Kitty3

Hiya! I got my first fish tank today and I'm looking forward to keeping/breeding fish. I went out to Wal-Mart and bought myself a 10 gallon tank. It came with a filter, lighting, a lid, and other neat stuff. I'm planning to put my Siamese Fighting fish, Byron, in the tank as soon as i can this week. I went out to local park and put rocks in the tank and i did the water with an anti-chlorine solution. My mom, you might know her as sarahbella, helped me a lot with it. Me and her are planning on going to the fish auction this month. I'm pretty excited.

If anyone has any advice on my tank or my fish feel free to share.  :)

NjOyRiD

whats a byron?
have you cleaned the rocks before putting them in the tank?!
welcome to Ovas :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

jaracas

i guess that Byron is the name of the Betta  :D

blueturq

Hey, welcome aboard!! :D

A 10 gallon for a betta.... great idea! :)

Everything else sounds great.

One thing though..... and I hate to be a stick in the mud about this, but be careful about picking up rocks from outside.  Did you scrub them really well, to remove any dirt?, even boiling rocks would be good idea, as a sterilization method.  Also keep in mind that some (not all) rocks could have an affect on your pH, so depending on the rock it could buffer (raise the pH).

In my experience of keeping Betta's, they prefer some floating plants (fake or live it doesn't really matter), just because they tend to be top dwellers and like a little "security" if you will.

Are you planning on adding any other fish with the Betta?

EDIT: NjOyRiD already beat me to it about the rock question! lol  :lol:

3Kitty3

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"whats a byron?
have you cleaned the rocks before putting them in the tank?!
welcome to Ovas :)
Byron is the fishes name.  :P

Yes, i boiled the rocks and cleaned them really well.

What other fish could i keep with the betta?

My brother also has a male betta and is looking to get a female tonight and breed them. How long should i wait until the female is ready to mate again with MY betta?

charlie

Congrats on your first tank , hope it brings you years of enjoyment.
Regards

3Kitty3

Quote from: "charlie"Congrats on your first tank , hope it brings you years of enjoyment.
Regards
Thank you. :)

sarahbella

Welcome aboard punk...  ;)

3Kitty3

Quote from: "sarahbella"Welcome aboard punk...  ;)
Merci beaucoup, dame etrange. ;)  :o  :lol:  (Look it up mum ;))

Raven

actually male bettas make surprisingly good tankmates. one thing,dont mix other anabantids in with them(i.e. gouramies other bettas).some good tankmates would be cories, a bunch of ottos or maybe some shrimp. that way your betta could be the showpiece fish.this would be  more of a cleanup crew but for tankmates a small shol of something. im sure someone will pipe in with lots of goods ideas

NjOyRiD

yahh I love french people hahaha
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Nerine

here's a list of safe rocks: Crystalline Quartz = Rock Crystal, Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz; Granite; Jade; Lava Rock; Microcrystalline Quartz = Jasper, Agate, Chalcedony, Sard, Carnelian; Onyx; Petrified Wood; Quartz; Slate

Unsafe rocks:
Coal -Commercially harvested coal is treated with an oil by-product to reduce dust; Coral; Dolomite; Fools Gold - (or any other rock with metallic veins--Acid Producing); Fossils; Limestone; Marble; Sandstone

Good luck with your fish keeping! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

3Kitty3

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"yahh I love french people hahaha
:lol:

Quote="Nerine"] here's a list of safe rocks: Crystalline Quartz = Rock Crystal, Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz; Granite; Jade; Lava Rock; Microcrystalline Quartz = Jasper, Agate, Chalcedony, Sard, Carnelian; Onyx; Petrified Wood; Quartz; Slate

Unsafe rocks:
Coal -Commercially harvested coal is treated with an oil by-product to reduce dust; Coral; Dolomite; Fools Gold - (or any other rock with metallic veins--Acid Producing); Fossils; Limestone; Marble; Sandstone

Good luck with your fish keeping! :)
Thank you!  :D

Mettle

I have a male betta in a 10 gallon tank (and he is absolutely STUNNING). In the tank I have cories with him. And it's quite the nice set-up. They're not just regular cories - they're sterbai's. Cost me a lot more, but I think it was worth it. Everything's been working out with them thus far.

Nerine... Why are fossils unsafe?

Nerine

they can leach into the water, but if they are coated an aquarium safe expoy then they are ok! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts