New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Long time lurker, first time member

Started by adamarchibald, November 13, 2018, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamarchibald

Hi! I'm Adam.

Decided to take the plunge and see how being an active member with the OVAS is :)

Been in the hobby off and on for almost 30 years..  kept a wide verity of fish. In the last few years I had a good stint with reef tanks, however I ultimately decided that the reef I had was not benefiting from the number of times I was moving, so I will have to not entertain that side of the hobby until I finally buy a place in Ottawa... (nanos on the other hand...).  Currently been working with high tech 20 gal planted aquarium (CO2, auto dossing home made fertilizer on PPS, 40 wats of LED strips) . Not breeding anything at the moment, but the last thing I bread was Nothobranchius rachovii Killies that I ordered as eggs, grew out and then bread and passed on the eggs to a friend.  Was a great fish highly recommended. 

Here is the link to a crappy video I took of a pair laying eggs in a peat cup I placed in the planted aquarium.  https://youtu.be/bcs9ddQPwYU . You can thank me later for the music choice.

A photo of the current setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/QC4w53KN57eBiGMi9 . Please forgive the look of the plants, I had just trimmed the aquarium.  (Which I'm trying to give away the trimmings in classifieds), and one of these days I need to really redo it with some hardscape.  Had to remove it due to major algae issues I was having, and was running out of ideas on how to fight it.

Other random facts, in a past life I worked Aquarium Services, and the Bermuda Aquarium, the last active aquarium club i was active with was the one located there.  I am now a developer for Shopify, so let me know if I can help out any internet/computer projects for the club.

Looking forward to talking and meeting other members and trading some locally grown critters :)

charlie

Hi Adam  welcome.
You will sure fit in   hope yo see and meet you at our monthly meetings.
Regards

rivermuse

Welcome to ovas Adam. Thanks for joining!

p.s. the music is appropriate ;)

matttimms49

Planted tank is looking super lush, it's awesome. Plus never apologise for Barry  :). Maybe I should play some of Mr whites music to get my Rasboras breeding..... Haha

Hopefully you can bring some of the plant trimmings to next week's auction .

Welcome to the club :)

Jody

Welcome to the club Adam.
It is always nice getting  new people in the club.
Very cool that you were breeding the ranchovii, they are amazing little fishes.
If you are a planted tank guy, OVAS is certainly the club for you .

Jody