New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Extravaganza Ohio 2012

Started by limmer, October 05, 2012, 10:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limmer

Just Posted the speaker schedule.

Extravaganza 2012
Hosted by Ohio Cichlid Association
Cleveland, Ohio
Nov. 16 to Nov. 18
http://www.ohiocichlid.com/Extravaganza.html

Friday
6:00 PM Hans Georg Evers  :  "Corymania: Stories from the Tropical Living Room"
8:00 PM Dr. Jay Stauffer     :  "Behaviour: An Important tool for Describing Lake Malawi Cichlids"
10:00 PM Hans Georg Evers:  "Loricariid Biotopes in the Amazon"

Saturday
9:00 AM Dr. Michael Tobler  :  "Central America: Habitats, Cichlids and Other Fishes"
11:00 AM Ad Konings          :  "News and Views from Lake Tanganyika"

ajm1961

Well it's official:
Ken (Jetstream) and I will be going down - likely car pooling with Al (Al) and Al (Baketal).
Yoohoo!
Looking forward to this event - should be a great time!!
Hope to see the rest of the OVAS bunch there...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

limmer

Here is the OVAS Group in 2010 that were there.

fischkopp

Looking forward to a beer with Mr. Evers. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

markw

Quote from: ajm1961 on October 05, 2012, 02:31:39 PM
Well it's official:
Ken (Jetstream) and I will be going down - likely car pooling with Al (Al) and Al (Baketal).
Yoohoo!
Looking forward to this event - should be a great time!!
Hope to see the rest of the OVAS bunch there...
Sounds like you guys need another Suburban again this year, With a roof rack, and maybe a trailer! Wish I was coming along! Been 8 years since I made the first trip to OCA all by myself. Pretty soon you're gonna need to charter a bus! Have fun guys...and have a few Yinglings on me!
Cheers

zenins

Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

robt18

ajm1961

Just wondering if it's worth pre-ordering from Ken's Fish again, or waiting to see what he brought up. Also Aquatica is there, so wondering if they have similar or better deals.

What do you guys think? If you're pre-ordering from Ken's, how do you indicate pick-up? The last time there was a special conventaion page, now I don't see one.

limmer

Contact Ken and order anything you Really Want.
Tell him you will be at the show and he will have it packaged up for you for pickup.

It should be interesting with Aquatica.  He always matched Ken and sometimes we got a special deal as we were special customers.  Will miss seeing his shop and some things we could only get there.  Maybe we can still go there.

fischkopp

Quote from: robt18 on October 23, 2012, 02:05:34 PM
Considering......

It's fun you don't want to miss out on! :)

I always order things from Ken so I don't need to worry about him being sold out. He was also easy on me when I changed my mind and didn't take everything I ordered in advance. Well, mainly because Steve had a much better price on it ... :P
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

ajm1961

Some rooms at the Holiday Inn have become available again - just re-booked mine, as I had two different reservations for different nights.

If you were sitting on the fence about it, you still have time to make it happen!!

limed

Just to let the others know, we all made it down to Ohio in good time, great weather for driving.
Already in talking to the vendors and going to check out a new fish store that they said it is
really good, also go to Steve's store today and everything will will start at 2:00pm today Friday.
The fish started selling in the rooms, so have to act fast to great the good picks.

Ed

charlie

Nice , i miss it already.
I thought Steve was going to be @ the convention?

limed

The new fish store they mention is Steve's store, so only 1 store. Yes Steve is here but
the store has more stuff and we get a better deal since we are Canadian and great customers.
We must have spend over 2 hours there yesterday buying up the store. Picked up lots of equipment
and fish. We are going back to Steves' on Sunday 9:00am for his big sale 70% off of the stuff that he had found in the back, power heads with filter and more he mention to me and so on and a free tee-shirt.
 The talks are great and I'm learning a lot more on the secrets of breeding.  Picked up black cories, orange
lazers cories, longfin abino pleco's and still looking to buy. Today we have more talks and swap meet with
the manufacture good auction.  There will be a kid contest where the kids get to setup there own aquarium
10 gallon and after this the kids get to keep everything after this including the fish. They have about 20 of
these tanks sets for the kids, so I hope one of the guy's will get pictures of this.

Ed

sas

Awesome sounds like a blast, thanks for the updates, especially this part,

Quote from limed,

"Picked up black cories, orange
lazers cories, longfin abino pleco's and still looking to buy."

Hurry up and get home so you can start breeding these guys so we can
buy them off you :).

fredmir

How much did the Orange Laser Cories  go for??

Thanks

George

limed

They range from $7 -$13 the orange lazers, hoping to pickup some more at today's auction, but depends on how high they go since there will be over 200-300 buyers with lots of money.

Ed

fischkopp

This year's extra was yet another great show! Great talks, nice chats and a good selection of fish that I have not seen before. Needless to say that I came home with a box filled with interesting goodies. All travelled well and are swimming happily in their new home. :)

my fish suck

daworldisblack

Quote from: fischkopp on November 19, 2012, 09:52:50 PM
Needless to say that I came home with a box filled with interesting goodies.
What'd you get? What'd you get?! :P Looks like some plecos and other fishes ( a schooling/shoaling type?). Details!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Shawn84

Robert push those 183 to breed :) I want some fry heheheh

:)
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

fischkopp

Quote from: Shawn84 on November 19, 2012, 11:26:24 PM
Robert push those 183 to breed :) I want some fry heheheh

Good eyes for spotting a female in there. :) Got some more ideas from the people there, so maybe it will work this season. Will try my best.

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 19, 2012, 11:00:43 PM
What'd you get? What'd you get?! :P Looks like some plecos and other fishes ( a schooling/shoaling type?). Details!

We got all sorts of fish, the others mainly africans, I don't really know what they are. I was looking for South Americans, and got some pleco for the collection (L106,L183,LDA31), two pair Apistogramma pebas, two pair (so I hope) Ivanacara adoketa, a group of nice Aspidoras albater, and some little Geophagus for impuls. :D

Plus we stocked up on supplies and equipment for the coming year. Lots of deals.

Will try to find some time to post some pics from the event later this week.
my fish suck

limmer

Here is our Party Group at the convention.

I picked up a few fish I wanted.  African Cichlids!!!
It will take a while to grow them out.
-  Julidochromis Dickfeldi,
- labeotropheus trewavasae mpanga

I also picked up a Male Altolamproglogus Calvus Black Congo.

The loot bags were great.  Lots of free samples and magazines.

Also picked up some great little filters for club prizes for the future.

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Fishnut

Love the shirts!!  I'm so glad you guys were finally able to wear club shirts this year!!

Robert, I googled those Aspidoras albaters.  They're cute little guys!  If you ever get any fry let me know because they would be a perfect addition to my mini fish tank...temp wise and size wise!

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on November 20, 2012, 03:49:01 PM
Love the shirts!!  I'm so glad you guys were finally able to wear club shirts this year!!

Robert, I googled those Aspidoras albaters.  They're cute little guys!  If you ever get any fry let me know because they would be a perfect addition to my mini fish tank...temp wise and size wise!
Yes , i`m sure the other 4 gentlemen felt left out   :P, you guys need to contact me ASAP :)

Shawn84

Those L183 been on my wanted listed for a longtime now hehe. When the apisto breed for you let me know. I want a pair or 2 hehehe
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

fredmir

I`m  trying to bred Ivanacara adoketa,no luck so far
What do they sell for ?
I paid $60 for 5 small unsexed one `sl ast year
George

ajm1961

It was a blast indeed!
I picked up equipment and supplies at great prices (ex.: Fluval E300 heater for $40!)
And FISH!

Cyrtocara moori (Dolphins)
Pundamilla Nyererei Mwanza
Pundamilla "Crimson Tide"
Labidochromis Caerulus (Electric Yellows)
Labidochromis Caerulus Lutino (Orange-like with red eyes)
OB Peacocks
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Otter Point (Malawi Butterfly)
Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rustys)
Corydoras Weitzmani

Only lost one peacock on the way. All are healthy and eating.
Yoo hoo, I'm in fish heaven!  :P

sas

Wow I guess you are in fish heaven :),
nice list of fish!

robt18

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 21, 2012, 06:17:18 AM
It was a blast indeed!
I picked up equipment and supplies at great prices (ex.: Fluval E300 heater for $40!)
And FISH!

Corydoras Weitzmani

Nice find! How much were those going for?

fischkopp

Quote from: fredmir on November 20, 2012, 11:01:16 PM
I`m  trying to bred Ivanacara adoketa,no luck so far
What do they sell for ?
I paid $60 for 5 small unsexed one `sl ast year
George

The ones I got are about 1 1/2 to 2". Still need to grow a little. Interesting behaviour, like how the look around the tank for something eatable. In the rooms they were going for 10-15 each, depending on size. I got mine at the auction and got lucky, paid the same for all four.

Quote from: Shawn84 on November 20, 2012, 10:01:53 PM
Those L183 been on my wanted listed for a longtime now hehe. When the apisto breed for you let me know. I want a pair or 2 hehehe

That shouldn't take too long, one pair, if they find each other, are already good size.
my fish suck

ajm1961

Quote from: robt18 on November 21, 2012, 08:42:46 AM
Nice find! How much were those going for?
Picked up a bag of 6 cories at $40 - thankfully these came towards the end of the auction or I likely would have paid even more. There were not that many cories in total at the auction - varies from year to year. Lots of angel fish and bushy nose plecos though!

robt18

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 21, 2012, 12:00:16 PM
Picked up a bag of 6 cories at $40 - thankfully these came towards the end of the auction or I likely would have paid even more. There were not that many cories in total at the auction - varies from year to year. Lots of angel fish and bushy nose plecos though!

WOW! Not bad for fish that can go for north of $40 a piece in stores....

Stussi613

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 21, 2012, 06:17:18 AM
It was a blast indeed!
And FISH!

Cyrtocara moori (Dolphins)
Pundamilla Nyererei Mwanza
Pundamilla "Crimson Tide"
Labidochromis Caerulus (Electric Yellows)
Labidochromis Caerulus Lutino (Orange-like with red eyes)
OB Peacocks
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Otter Point (Malawi Butterfly)
Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rustys)
Corydoras Weitzmani

Only lost one peacock on the way. All are healthy and eating.
Yoo hoo, I'm in fish heaven!  :P

I'm hoping you remembered me when you picked some of these fish up!!
I haz reef tanks.

markw

Who are those two ugly dudes in the top left of the picture?? You guys look like you were missing some true western culture!!!

charlie

Quote from: markw on November 21, 2012, 02:42:18 PM
Who are those two ugly dudes in the top left of the picture?? You guys look like you were missing some true western culture!!!
Pay back time  ;D ;D ;D

Al

That's what you get for thanks when a guy asks and you do him a favor and get him a bag of Ohio F1 malaysian trumpet snails

limmer

Mark, I was thinking of photo shopping you into the picture for old times sake.

Zenin posted all his pictures on the Extravagana site.

http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

zenins

Is anyone having trouble trying to see the photos I posted ?

The links are to albums on Facebook, you should not have to sign in to Facebook to see them.

Some with Internet Explorer are seeing a blank page, there must be a security setting preventing them from seeing the photos, others with Internet Explorer are not having any problem seeing the photos, I don't know what setting it is ?

Some are having success by downloading Google Crome or FireFox and then have no trouble seeing the photos ...
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards