New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lockdown is putting a damper on my new aquarium build

Started by Muad'Dib, January 09, 2021, 10:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

Just a little observation, and bit of complaining...
I was hoping to have water in my tank by now and cycling it getting ready for livestock. Unfortunately this latest lockdown has brought things to a standstill. I need to do some plumbing and modifications to the sump, and because I can't walk in to Home Depot to buy parts, it's taking longer than I hoped to get going.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the state we are in and want everyone to be safe and healthy. I'm just frustrated, because I am so excited to get back into the hobby.
And while I can order just about everything online, HD is one store I seems  I need to have to go into. I have a ton of eGift cards to use, and I can't seem to use them as payment online. (Or at least it's not obvious as to how I can) So I may have to wait for the lockdown restrictions to loosen.

One a positive note I did manage to get a 15Gal hospital / Isolation tank up and running... mostly.. Still cycling it's filters and I just need some hose to connect the pump to the Media Reactor. (That's at HD)

Also, I have managed to find another project I might look into once the main tank is up and running, and I'd be interested to find out if anyone else has used this...  its an open source aquarium management system called Reef-pi. I know it's probably overkill for a freshwater aquarium, but I just like the idea of it. and it's a fraction of the cost of systems like those made by APEX.

Anyway that's my rant/story for tonight...

Cheers
Dean

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

Gowalkitoff

Hi Dean,

Its ok to complain.  As a society we aren't used to this, so let it out and stay ok.  Ok?  I think we all have done our fair share of complaining.  It's way more important right now to stay ok than to save face. 

I am itching (DYING, really) to start a room temp paludarium on my dresser just for something to look at.  But it's SO difficult to begin.

While I have no idea what reef-pi is or anything else, I'd love for you to exain it :)

Muad'Dib

Thanks Gowalkitoff,
That helped me feel not so bad about complaining about my trivial little issue.

As for Reef-pi,
It's an open source LINUX based system for building your own aquarium management system .
You can monitor PH, Ammonia, Temp. You can control feeders, heaters / Chillers, lights, pumps, wave makers, water levels and auto top-up systems. etc.
A lot of this is overkill for a freshwater tank but as a tech geek I think it's cool.
If I decide to move ahead with building my own Reef-pi system I'll document the process and post it.

Cheers
Dean
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

noahcw

I too am interested in reef pi but have been dissuaded in looking for the parts.

Muad'Dib

Quote from: noahcw on January 11, 2021, 11:43:25 PM
I too am interested in reef pi but have been dissuaded in looking for the parts.

If I find a good source I'll pass it along.

Cheers
Dean

noahcw

Yes please do, I'm really interested in building one as I have a small reef tank (in progress). It would also be nice to bounce ideas and issues with the build off of someone else working on it.

Muad'Dib

Quote from: noahcw on January 12, 2021, 10:39:48 AM
Yes please do, I'm really interested in building one as I have a small reef tank (in progress). It would also be nice to bounce ideas and issues with the build off of someone else working on it.

I'll let you know if and when I start.

At this point it's going to be a few months. With today's State of Emergency announcement, my tank is going to have to sit dry for a little while longer.
I can't get to Home Depot to get my plumbing supplies until the end of Feb, at the earliest now. I tried to do an online order with curbside pickup, but I can't use my e-gift cards for online orders. You have to pay with a credit or debit card, then send the order number and egift card information to a special email address they will "review" it and credit you card back. Stupidest process ever.. and I can't afford to fork out $150 and hope they credit it back. So I have to wait until I can actually walk into the store.

Cheers
Dean

MichelleTCM

I would have to agree with you. I bought a 75 Gallon on black Friday (Nov 26) and it is currently stocked with 7 black neon tetras and a sultan pleco. It doesn't help that since it's my 6th tank I want very specific stock but if it were not lockdown I would be farther along in gathering them. The tank looks so empty and sad and I've only been able to add cuttings of plants from my other tanks so no new plants. It's just not as fun.