New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium cabinet height

Started by guck, June 21, 2014, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guck

I was curious to get people's opinion on subject.  I am soon building a cabinet for my new 75g.  Anything that is seen in store is rather standard.  I am just curious.  I will mostly look at the tank while sitting.  It will be located by a large window that is rather low.

lucius

I built a stand for my 75 gallon and it's 32" high.  I had plans to put another tank underneath but that never happened.

Got Fish?

I make all my stands around 32" seems to be the best height for viewing etc.

exv152

Quote from: Got Fish? on June 21, 2014, 11:24:49 PMI make all my stands around 32" seems to be the best height for viewing ...
and maintenance.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

guck

I have a terrarium with geckos and it's at 18 inches and I kind of like it.  I am trying to figure if it's only me.  I have a 25g at 32 inches and I find maintenance a challenge.  It was anyway yesterday when I decided it was time to get rid of that Fluval Ascent filter.

exv152

I built my 75g stand 34" heigh because I wanted better viewing. But I knew I'd be needing to use a 2-step ladder to reach the bottom back of the tank. But I don't mind.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

My 75 and 90 gallon are next to each other and are about the same height.  The 90 is on a store bought stand (28" high) and I can't reach the bottom of the 90 without a step stool.

So I guess it would depend on how tall and long your arms are.

guck

Quote from: lucius on June 22, 2014, 12:01:50 PM
My 75 and 90 gallon are next to each other and are about the same height.  The 90 is on a store bought stand (28" high) and I can't reach the bottom of the 90 without a step stool.

So I guess it would depend on how tall and long your arms are.

I was eyeing a 90g but it would not fit in the vehicle and delivery was as expensive as the tank itself.  I'm only 5'7" at 90g I could snorkel in it.

I suppose I could stack geckos over fish tank.   

lucius

I'm 5' 8" so I know how you feel.

It's been a few years but I think it was about $60 to have them deliver my 90 and stand.  The 75, I picked up when I realized it could fit in my back seat.

ftan

Go to any Home depot,you can rent a van for 19.95 for 4 hours
No extra charges for insurance or mileage like UHAUL charges.

I rented their larger cube truck to move my apt.
It cost only 50.00 for 24 hrs.

75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

guck

Quote from: ftan on June 22, 2014, 05:27:16 PM
Go to any Home depot,you can rent a van for 19.95 for 4 hours
No extra charges for insurance or mileage like UHAUL charges.

I rented their larger cube truck to move my apt.
It cost only 50.00 for 24 hrs.

Yes I did that in the past for other stuff.  It's just that I was in that "I want it now mood...".  Next time maybe.  There can never be too many tanks anyway.

Ruber

I have a pickup and near Ottawa,  So if anyone needs a hand let me know,   Pay my gas and buy me a timmies and we are all set!

Pyrrolin

I am lucky I guess.  My 90 is on I believe a 28 or 30 inch metal stand, the standard ones and I am just able to reach the whole bottom of the tank.  I am about 5 11.

For stands, you want the tank low enough that you can reach in without a stool if possible and high enough that it is nicely viewable.  The standard seems to be around 28 to 30 high

guck

Quote from: Ruber on July 24, 2014, 11:09:05 PM
I have a pickup and near Ottawa,  So if anyone needs a hand let me know,   Pay my gas and buy me a timmies and we are all set!
My wife said no more thanks unless we get a third dog.  But I don't know the rule about tank upgrade  :P