New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium super cloudy after power-outage

Started by Yams, July 18, 2011, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yams

Hey all,

After last nights power outages, my power came back around 1pm.... from 7pm -> 1pm, 18hrs give or take, aquarium was super cloudy. The ammonia / Nitrate / Nitrites all showing 0 by my count...

Why would it have went cloudy? its a moderately planted aquarium (55gal), the 2x20gal tanks and the 16gal were fine.

morrom

I am having the same problem in my 26G FW set up, every thing is fine other wise. I'm sure it will pass but its a little odd for an algae bloom to show up like that.

Yams

Thats my thought exactly... I do my water changes... 15% every 4 days or so.... never had a real algae problem, maybe when the filter was turned off for a while than turned back on it dislodged some stuff and threw it back into the aquarium, only idea I have...

robt18

What type of filter are you running and how old is your test kit?

wandmangels

You guys are lucky....our Power was out for 33hrs...same issue with cloudy water when the lights came on @ 4am tues but has now cleared up

az

running carbon will clear things up fast.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

magnosis

Just a tought...

Maybe your bacteria colony inside the filters started to die ? And when power came back, all the decaying matter detached from the filter media and went in the water column ?

I'm saying this because I recently asked how long would a canister filter stay alive when unplugged.  This was one answer:

Quote from: bergenm on July 06, 2011, 05:31:07 PM
I wouldn't go more than 24 hours - my understanding is that the bacteria is aerobic so its needs oxygen to survive. Once the filter stops circulating, the bacteria starts to die off...

Yams

Test kit is new,

I am running 1x Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry filter, and
                     1x Marineland C160 Canister Filter

So.... a little overfiltration, but a little overpopulation in the tank as well.

Yams