New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Introducing our October Speaker

Started by limmer, September 30, 2010, 07:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limmer

Larry Johnson

Larry was first introduced to Lake Malawi cichlids in the early 70's and has been keeping and breeding them since then. The fish room has got bigger over the years and was consumed by these beautiful fish. "Tropical Fish are a full time job for me". He presently runs 80 various size aquariums at home, and has been importing Cichlids from Lake Malawi for 4 years. You can see many beautiful underwater pictures that have been taken over the years on his website here.

In January 2003 Cichlid News Magazine published Larry's article and pictures on the genus Mylochromis. Larry also discovered the interesting feeding behaviour in Sciaenaochromis fryeri and photographing for the first time a new species of Lethrinops sp."mbenji roundhead" In his spare time you can find Larry at local fish clubs (Hamilton & District Aquarium Society) and others doing the "fish thing" (speaking or attending). Larry recently spent two months in Malawi (2009 ) installing Anti-Netting Devices around the Maleris Islands and conducting a Cichlid Survey in conjunction with the Stuart M Grant Conservation Fund. Here is the latest update (video). In September 2010 he will travel to Lake Malawi for the 10th time. Subject For Larry's talk is Swimming with Cichlids, Lake Malawi 2009.  Larry can be contacted via .

(Taken from the CAOAC site).

markw

Larry is a great guy and has some amazing pictures that he has collected over the many trips to Malawi. His presentations are laid-back and great first hand experiences. This will be a very interesting session not only for lovers of African Cichlids, but anyone who appreciates how difficult it is to dive and get such close up underwater photos. Larry's work with Ad Konings in the anti-netting program in the parks of Malawi have been very helpful in reducing the illegal fishing of endangered species and his dedication to the conservation of our hobby is to be commended. Good choice Peter!

Nerine

I'm really looking forward to hearing him speak!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Brent Shaver

Being mostly a cichlid guy this should be a great meeting...

Looking forward to it.

Fishnut

I'm sure I've met him before...great guy!  Was he at the CAOAC convention?

ajm1961

Yoohoo!
Great stuff, count me in on this one!
Thanks Peter!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

mseguin

limmer

If you were at the CAOAC convention you probably saw him.  He was taking all the pictures.

sas

Great news Peter!

Looking forward to this.
Another meeting not to be missed. :)

artw

Yes this is definately one presentation I wouldn't miss - I haven't seen Larry since 2002, we did some diving together back then ;)

garnpet

Art you're alive!  Hope to see you out at the meeting.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><