New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Giant Auction March 4, 2012

Started by limmer, February 13, 2012, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

It was a great event - big day for our auctioneers and they were up to the task:
Rob, Matt, Brian and Errol, THANK YOU for your hard work and getting this done!

Peter and his "assistant" at the computer logging all that information, the labelling, and cashing out - that was tough work and VERY APPRECIATED!

Also thanks to:
- our "runners"
- our cashiers
- kitchen staff
- setup and tear down crew
- membership sales, raffle sales, prizes and sponsorship... whew!

And of course all of you who participated.
Applause all around!!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

DaWolfe

This was my first auction and what a day.  Great job to the organizing committee and everybody that made this day a great day

I got home with some nice plants and the 90g is now full (actually to full, I will need to buy another tank  :D) I can not believe I got a filter for $5 (what a deal...) but I did miss out on the Eco Complete.

Errol - you might want to change those glasses, Eric's number was 88 and mine 89... ;D

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on March 05, 2012, 08:42:57 AM

Errol - you might want to change those glasses, Eric's number was 88 and mine 89... ;D
[/quote

So it was Eric that had "88", i could not tell who had it, since my view was obscure by the multiple rows of heads in front of you guys, but i tried my best to inform the person behind that 88 bidding card that we preferred seeing the side with the #`s as opposed the side with the text, i was happy when the person catched on eventually, now i know who the culprit was, thanks Dan, my apologies Eric had i known it was you i would have come over & explained it quietly.
Errol

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on March 05, 2012, 08:52:31 AM

So it was Eric that had "88", i could not tell who had it, since my view was obscure by the multiple rows of heads in front of you guys, but i tried my best to inform the person behind that 88 bidding card that we preferred seeing the side with the #`s as opposed the side with the text, i was happy when the person catched on eventually, now i know who the culprit was, thanks Dan, my apologies Eric had i known it was you i would have come over & explained it quietly.
Errol

It's weird how all the other guys could see my number hey?  8)

touchofsky

When I first walked in the room, I was holding two cups of coffee and my purse, and didn't have a number, and bid anyway!!!!  Talk about auction fun with newbies  :)

I was #24 and having my gallbladder out on Friday didn't slow me down  ;D

charlie

touchofsky

exv152

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers for putting this on. It's nice to see the hobby is strong and growing in Ottawa.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Glad to hear all went well ! I was all set to volunteer and participate and was really excited about it all but it was my birthday weekend  and the plan was to celebrate it on Sat and volunteer/get my hands on stuff on Sunday but alas my friends surprise me with a full-day trip to Tremblant at the Birthday Dinner and this was my chain of reactions:  ??? >:( :(  :) :-* . I just couldn't say no since they had everything booked and planned!

The whole day I was thinking about the auction and how I could have picked up a pair of clown killis and some of those awesome bags of plants I saw on the list of items! I still had a fun birthday weekend though - hard to be sad when you're boarding down the mountain :) Attending the Auction would've made it PERFECT but maybe next year!

Regardless, sorry again I couldn't help this year Nerine but looks like it all went well! Hope to be there next year! Promise! Congrats Rob btw.. jealous! And i'll be hunting down those people who won the plants to get trimmings soon  :P
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

It was indeed evident that this hobby is strong & growing, another thing that was apparent was the willingness of people offering their help in any way they can this certainly made for an enjoyable day among others with the same interest.
Errol

charlie

A few pics that i managed to shoot before it got wild & crazy.

rockgarden

Finished my blog uploads!!!!

Enjoy.

Thanks again to all involved.

http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2012/03/ovas-giant-auction-today-march-4th-2012/

See all six pages of the blog entry and remember to mark your calendars and buy your tickets for the OVAS Earth Day event.

Ron

touchofsky

freshfishies

+1
Great blog and photos!
What an amazing day! Can't wait for the next one :D

limmer

I would like to thank everyone for all their help.
For my first time as Auction Chair, I think everything went smoothly except for a few minor problems.
What a long day and hectic at times.
Thanks again.

2075turner

Monte

Hi everyone. I would just like to thank everyone who brought plants to the auction on sunday. I got home from the auction and set up my 40 breeder with all the plants I bought and used those great aquascaping tools I came home with. Thanks Errol !! I will be posting my build in the next few days. It was my first big auction and I had a great time. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the day a great success. I would love to help out next year if you need my help. Thanks.
40 Gallon Breeder

tigger

Yesterday was my first giant auction. That was a lot of fun! I bought so many things, spent more than I planned, and I still think perhaps I should have gone for more plants and pick up more shrimps. It is probably a good balance as I am starting to run out of real estate...

To the OVAS exec and those who spent the whole day making yesterday's event so wonderful, ** THANK YOU **

You have made my day!

Brine

my throat is sore too!  :(
but I put the substrate and plants and filters on a tank today ....just temporarily while I get my new project up and running 

Nerine

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 05, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
... and this was my chain of reactions:  ??? >:( :(  :) :-* . I just couldn't say no since they had everything booked and planned!...

HAhahahahaha!! love the chain of reactions!!!! :D HAPPY belated birthday :) I'm glad you had fun, and don't worry, I have need of more volunteers for more events coming up!!! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts