New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Soft coral and zero nitrates

Started by NanoSF, May 02, 2011, 12:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

So now that I have finally achieved a constant zero level of nitrates my softies are not happy anymore. Nothing is dying, but basically there is no growth in things such as Florida/Yuma Rics, Zoanthids, Leathers. Are there alternatives to producing growth without elevating my nitrates? Thanks

redbelly

Yes, there are 2 ways really.
1) add more fish and feed them regularly.
2) feed the corals with a good corals food.

I do both and have zero nitrate, zero phosphates and a redox than never dibs below 420.

NanoSF

Okay that sounds easy enough. I am doing the first. I never had many fish but I have a bunch now and I feed well. Nitrates still don't rise, but I assume that the nutrients in the tank (including the fish waste I hear) are what you are looking for? Or do you mean that this is a method to keep the nitrates above zero?

As for the second. I do feed the corals. I direct feed a lot actually. Maybe my problem is food quality. I use reefroids, cyclopeze, and a home made mash. Do you have suggestions for better coral food. I know there is some products on the market specifically for food, but I don't believe in them until a few people tell me it has worked for them. So testimonials welcomed!

T-Man

redbelly

I used to use Reefroids a few years ago and have mixed feelings about it compare to some other products available now. It did seem to help some corals grow but my success was limited. Most notably the zoanthids really seemed to like it but I never had leathers in that tanks so I cant say if they will like it or not. Premixing it with water or preferably an amino acid or even vitamin spray is best. Let the food hydrate then feed to the tank otherwise half of the reef roids goes down the overflow to the sump. This food never seemed to have any negative effect on nitrates in my system at that time so thats good.

Cyclopeeze is a great food, love it! Obviously limited to large polyps size coals though due to the large particle sizes.

Home made mash, not as big of a fan. If your not carefull I find this is a great way to pump in nutrient and foul the water potentially and could certainly contribute to your previous nitrate problem.

Foods that I am currenty using:

Oyster eggs. I think these are a fantastic food but be carefull how much you feed as they can foul your water very quickly.

Fauna Marin coral food like (clam, sea fan, Minf). Pick up a coral magazine, go to the azoox section on rc, these foods are essential for feeding azoox corals but even a single part of the food line works very well for feeding your corals. Clam is algae based and sea fan and min F are protien based.

Phyto. I currently buy my phyto in a less diluted, but always fresh type culture. I find several large brands on the market STINK when you open them and are obviously very dead and great for polluting your tank. Dont use home brews that utilize miracle grow, this is a recipie for disaster imo. I am dosing 240ml per day into my azoox tank with the intention that it is also feeding the rest of my system at the same time.

rotifers. Currently I am just feeding frozen but I do hope to start feeding live roti's sometime in the near future! although I have no idea when this will be as I have not had the time to even setup my aqua medic phtyo reactor, which is required for feeding a live rotifer culture. I attached a pic below of the live culturing stations I purchased like a year ago... I just have not had the time to set it up + dont have the time to maintain it + realized that it wont actually fit under my tank stand so it would have to go in the basement.... so yeah.... its still not setup... but none the less I would like to feed live rotifers sometime soon.

The silver piece on the reactor to the right is a light that clips onto the reactor and focuses all the light into the reactor body.

Ultimately what you want to be able to do is to be able to feed as much food as possible, but still maintain good water quality. (preferably zero po4 and very low nitrates although zero is not required)

NanoSF

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into the ones I am unfamiliar with.