New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Question about setting up planters above tanks

Started by guck, November 05, 2014, 07:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guck

I am considering setting up some emersed plants (or plants that like it very damp) and was wondering if anyone here does that.
Something that water from the tank circulates through.

Questions that comes to mind are:
--How deep the substrate in the planter should be? (plant specific maybe?)
--What typical flow rate going through the planter should be? (planter size dependant I suppose, but some ball park would be nice).
--What would the substrate be?

This would be addition to dirt tanks.

Mike L

I have seen plants hung over aquariums in hanging baskets and dropping into the tank water. Or are you talking a hydroponic setup. Might be a hassle when cleaning.
Mike

guck

Quote from: Mike L on November 06, 2014, 10:14:27 AM
I have seen plants hung over aquariums in hanging baskets and dropping into the tank water. Or are you talking a hydroponic setup. Might be a hassle when cleaning.
Mike

Don't know if that can be called hydroponic.  Maybe,  There are baskets hanging in and also hanging out, like planters on a balcony ramp.  I am looking at hanging out.  I don't see wht that would be a hassle to clean.
There are quite a few pictures out there, but little specification.

guck

Quote from: Brine on November 07, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
I did one, this is the early set up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulIJ_G5LMc&list=UUI6zjf2ETU1lwzXjbJVFocg
this is just before I sold it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx2qtOmujek&list=UUI6zjf2ETU1lwzXjbJVFocg&index=71
Ok, that is extremely impressing.  I love that.
You don't happen to have still pictures my any chance?
I like you furnace blue filter  :)
So what was the flow rate going through that creek approximately?  Was it activated with a specific pump?

guck

Started to experiment with paint trays.  Got some plants today that I should put in eventually.  Need to decide on which tank to set that up.