New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Guppy problem

Started by ottawa11, November 11, 2010, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa11

Hey guys,

I just found one of my guppies laying on the floor of the tank and just staying there when I got home. Also, she looks really pregnant and her back tail looked like it split. Does this mean she is going to give birth soon or is she sick? I am new to this and don't really know how to tell if she is sick or pregnant. thank you so much.

Rybren

It's been a very long time since I've kept any guppies, but if it is lying on the substrate, then I would suspect that she is ill.  To the best of my memory, they don't stop swimming when they give birth, babies just pop out as she swims along.
120G Reef

ottawa11

I put her in a breeder tank and this morning she gave birth to 15 fry's but 9 only made it.  But, the thing I am worried about is she is breathing heavy and looks ill. Does that mean she is tired and stressful after giving birth? thanks

sas

Congrats on the new babies :).

But if you could give more history on your tank ie) how long has it been running,
post water parameters, how long have you had this particular fish,
feeding schedule, water change frequency.
By giving us more info I'm sure more hobbyists will jump in with
some very helpful ideas.
Also when you mention she looks ill, what exactly are you seeing, that makes you think
she is ill.

ottawa11

I am new to having run an aquarium so I've just started running my 29 gal. tank at the beginning of september. I've had this fish for about 1 month now and I feed my fishes twice a day. One in the morning before school and in the evening. The water parameters I dont really know about but I did the PH test and It was in good shape. I change my water every 2 weeks ( but I think I should do one every week). I have in the fish tank right now is 8 guppies 4 neon tetras 2 rasboras and 5 platies and 3 swordtail. Also, I have some bad news..my guppy died but she gave birth to another 5 more guppies but only 3 of them made it. so I have a total of 12 new fry's. I am guessing her illness was from her pregnancy because she did not have any white spot(ick) but she did have her tail split ( maybe tail fungi) but all in all she looked really stressed with heavy breathing and barely swimming.

thanks guys for the help

soleil1980

well first of all, it is normal that some babies don't make it.  It is true that females don't stop swimming when they give birth. 
You should get yourself a pH kit and a nitrate/nitrite kit. 
It also seems like you have a bit too much fish in there especially if you planned on raising the babies (by the way, you can just give them fine crushed flakes).  I feed my fish only every 2 days....  twice a day seems a bit much.

Also, how much water do you change when you do make a water change?  What type and size filter are you running?

Real plants or fake?
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)