New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fish gasping at top of tank

Started by Cbellehumeur, January 09, 2011, 05:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbellehumeur

I noticed last night that one one my yellow labs had fin rot ( at least i think it fin rot). Today i went and picked up some maracyn today and put some in the tank. It said to put 1 packet per 10 gallons but i only put 5 packets for my 75 gallons because i've never used any meds in my tank before. Anyway It been about 2 hours and all my fish are grasping for air at the top of my tank.....they look really bad. should i do a water change ASAP and what % should i do? Please help.

Nothing has changed in my tank for the last 2 year....no new fish same filter and same water changes. All my cichlids were added at the same time like 6 years ago

Brent Shaver

I have never had to use meds, knock on wood.  If all your fish are at the top like that I would suggest doing water changes right away.  Worse case you waste some meds, the goal is to keep the fish healthy and it sounds like something backfired.

Hope it works out for you

cdylnicki

Make sure your filters are working/plugged in properly.

Did you do a water change lately?  Anything this morning/last night that you did?

How old is the tank - when did you last have a 100% water change?
How many fish?  How big? 

Agree that a water change is necessary - start with 20% and advise us on whats happening. 

Cbellehumeur

I haven't done a water change in awhile...i only do about 25% wc every month. I have a xp2 and 404 on my 75G. I have 12 full grown 4-6" cichlids, one pleco (6") and one catfish (5"). my tank in 6 years old.

I just noticed 4 other cichlid look like they have fin rot too.

I'll do a wc tonight.

If the meds aren't working what eles should i do. I don't think cichlids like salt?

NjOyRiD

give them oxygen also if you can, to give them a chance
i would do water change and check for filters if plugged correctly
do not clean the interior of the filters
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Cbellehumeur

i put 2 bubblers on before my wc and all my fish are doing better. All swimming around even my yellow lab with the fin rot looks healthier. I might hold off on the wc and hopeful the meds will work.

Saltcreep

If it were me, I would be doing at least a small water change ASAP, especially since you say you haven't done one in a while.

cdylnicki

Agree!

Also maybe make a bucket of pre-treated water available just in case!

robt18

Water change is always a good idea, but everything will do much better if you increase aeration considerably when you add maracyn. I don't know the reason exactly, but its true!

Rob

Cbellehumeur

Everything in the tank is still alive!!
It looks like alot of my fish now have fin rot. :'(

I'm going to lay off the lights and feeding today to keep the stress level down.
I think i might have over fed this last week.

Thank-you everyone. I'm not in the clear yet but hopefully soon.

rush

200g system

150g reef tank with 50g sump~ 220lbs of liverock, Aqua Illumination LED's, Reef Keeper Elite w/ Net Digital Aquatics, Vertex Skimmer, TLF carbon reactor, TLF bio pellet reactor, NextReef GFO reactor, Calcium reactor,  tunze and koralia pumps, RO/DI with auto shut off and auto top off.

Lots of corals and fish. Will post pics soon.

limmer

It should be no problem adding salt with africans.  I always add pickling salt and epson salt to mine and have never had a problem.  Water change definitely.