New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Black Fuzzy Algae

Started by pminister, January 20, 2011, 08:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pminister

I got a fairly low tech setup, with simple plants where the light only stays on for 8-10hrs. No CO2. No Ferts. Light is only a 20W bulb over a 20G tank.

But prior leaving for vacation I noticed, that a Black Fuzzy type Algae started growing on the driftwood, java fern, anubias, etc...

After coming back after a month or so from vacation, the algae did spread a little bit more.
I did my first water change today, and hopefully within the next 3 weeks or so excessive debris and grime on the glass should get cleared out.

I would just like to know what is the best solution, to get rid of this black fuzz algae ?

HappyGuppy

Sounds like you have black beard algae, or BBA for short.  Hands down best solution to get rid of it fast:
http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthread.php?21075-BBA-Thread-Hair-Algae-Kill-with-Hydrogen-Peroxide-H2O2
Trust me, I had huge battles with it in the past... but not for years since I learned the secrets you'll now learn.

Then get some red ramshorn snails (I breed them deliberately to give to people like you).  Make sure you have plenty of plants to soak up nutrients, especially some fast growing plant (elodea, hornwort, watersprite are top 3 easiest). 

Oh and get some more light.  Light is crutial to low tech setups.  On my 20G I only have one tube light, which is definitely insufficient.  What I did is I got a clamp on desk lamp with a flexible neck, screwed in a compact florescent bulb and aimed it into my tank, with a bit of aluminum foil to redirect the light that would miss the tank into the tank.  I've been meaning to go to home depot for a more elegant solution, but when I was "out of the hobby" I didn't care, and before that I was extremely busy & just never got around to it.  Bottom line is that it is important to bring up your light levels to a min of 2 watts/gallon (thus 40 watts) if you plan to have a low tech natural planted tank that you never do water changes to.  Otherwise you may remain at those lower light levels but you'll definitely need to select plants that are lower light suitable, and you'll need to do regular water changes like the high tech tanks.  My suggestion would be to invest in better lights & plants & toss away your water filter & bubbler.  First read this http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthread.php?19890-How-To-Easy-Beautiful-Natural-Low-Tech-Tanks

HappyGuppy

Sorry.  Re reading your original post I realized that I got carried away with my reply.  Ignore the later part of my previous post (still good info though).  The solution you are looking for was my first paragraph.  Do it and by next week you'll be forgetting that it even happened.  BBA will be gone.

daworldisblack

Quote from: pminister on January 20, 2011, 08:40:24 PM
I got a fairly low tech setup, with simple plants where the light only stays on for 8-10hrs. No CO2. No Ferts. Light is only a 20W bulb over a 20G tank.

But prior leaving for vacation I noticed, that a Black Fuzzy type Algae started growing on the driftwood, java fern, anubias, etc...

After coming back after a month or so from vacation, the algae did spread a little bit more.
I did my first water change today, and hopefully within the next 3 weeks or so excessive debris and grime on the glass should get cleared out.

I would just like to know what is the best solution, to get rid of this black fuzz algae ?

I had the same issue pruned most of the affected leaves. Treatment as mentioned by HappyGuppy seems to work as I have read and heard from other hobbyists. Hopefully this two-pronged approach will help you get rid of the problem!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pminister

Thanks for the advice everyone, and especially HappyGuppy.

That link you posted is very interesting as well. I definitely want to try it when i setup my 60G tank, it be wicked to see the result with no filters.

HappyGuppy

You are very welcome!  Glad to help.  BTW, there were two links I provided for you... sounds like you only saw one?

FWIW,  I have had over a dozen tanks for the past few years since I've permanently retired filters and air pumps.  I will never use them again as, IMHO, they are completely unnecessary *IF* you have enough plants in your tanks.  This past week I have very reluctantly brought back the use of an air pump in my son's tank.  We actually argued about it (bad for plants, thus bad for fish) - he wanted one of those tacky air bubble tank toys (clam shell's lid flips open from bubbles).  He won.  The deal is that it only runs while he is looking at it, but then it is turned off.  It's been a few days since we got it, and about 48 hours since it has last been run - <sarcasm>kids</sarcasm>.

I have extensive experience running low-tech, and would be happy to answer your questions.