New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tiger barbs dead :(

Started by JoLy, January 30, 2011, 03:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoLy

On boxing day i bought a new aquarium, its a 28 gallon, and up until Friday i had only put the fish from my previous fish tank in it. On Friday i took a trip to Big Al's and purchased a total of 8 fish, one denison's barb, five tiger barbs and two very small bushy nose plecos. They all seemed happy and healthy and getting along quite well until this morning when i got up and found 2 tiger barbs dead. :'( Needless to say i was quite discouraged... anyhow I've been keeping a closer eye on the tank and now I've spotted what looks like a candidate for the next casualty. The symptoms are; he's can't seem to balance himself, hes swimming upside down and sideways and his left eye has filled with blood... I tested the PH and Ammonia levels of the water and it seems normal. All the other fish seem perfectly fine.

Should I put this injured fish in a breeder net on his own?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or tips.

garnpet

The usual questions...

How did you cycle your tank and what are the current water parameters?  How often do you do water changes?

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Darth

test the other params as well, 8 fish at one time is a pretty big bio load change for the tank IMO

Laura

I agree with the advice already. Even if the water tests don't show anything, I would do a 1/3 water change.

Also, on your stock, denison barbs get up to 5" long, so if you want to keep them long-term, you will be looking at a bigger tank. It is my experience that when they are in a school are very well behaved. Singly or a pair, I have seen them act aggressively.

I personally don't think they should be kept in less than a trio.  I don't think your denison barb is the problem for the deaths, but as it gets older, it will likely behave badly.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

JoLy

The PH is at around 8 and the ammonia is at 0.

I haven't changed the water yet.. I figured there was no reason to because it was still so new. The tank as been running for around a month. I will do a water change tomorrow, I'm preparing the water at the moment.  I will be changing the water every 2 weeks from this point forward.

Also, thanks for the advice about the denison barb. I wasn't able to get that much information on it before i bought it.

delslo

I had similar symptoms once I used something called melafix and it cleared it up. I would try that. Aswell I would return the denisoni barb as they require a very large tank 40+ gallons as a mininum and are supposed to be kept in schools of 5 or more. They will grow to +5 inches. You could probably take it back and get the melafix as a trade should be similar in price.

Saltcreep

Quote from: JoLy on January 30, 2011, 03:21:28 PM
Should I put this injured fish in a breeder net on his own?

I think I would be looking more at a hospital tank than a breeder net, and as soon as possible. Two out of five that quickly is not good, and that bloody eye should be sounding alarms. I would get the sick one out and into a hospital tank, and if you can rig something up, I would put the two survivors into a QT setup too.