New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my mag 9.5 again

Started by NjOyRiD, March 14, 2011, 07:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

So today i got from my wife at work, saying the return pump stopped working and also the left powerbar.
I come back home, i see the breaker of the plug in the wall jumped. reseted it, jumped again!

i tried another pump, it was fine
my mag 9.5 was not running so i cleaned it in vinegar, made it work, put the pump back and make the system run.

I touched the water i get ZAPPED!!

what do i do?, i need a return pump so i dont lose my livestock
i just put a ground probe i nte sump. but I dont feel like putting my fingers i nthe water again lol

anyways, i just bought a water blaster pump ( 33w compared to 93w LOL)

what do i do meanwhile?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Saltcreep

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but let me take a shot. The guts of the Mag are sealed in epoxy and are nothing more than an electromagnet. If any electricity is leaking into your tank, it can only be coming from a break in the power cord itself, or from a break where the wire enters the body of the pump. Even if the impeller was clogged solid, the pump would do no more than overheat, and it's thermally protected so would shut itself down. If it's blowing a breaker, on the powerbar or elsewhere, it's because electricity is coming into contact with saltwater. In short, no pun intended, if the thing is causing a breaker to trip, or in this case, giving you a zap, get the thing out of there or you're risking injury to yourself or someone else. You say you've bought another pump - use it. Sorry if I sound blunt, but water and electricity don't mix, something we all know.

NjOyRiD

ok thank you
i put my hands in there again, LOL
i saw a frag fell, forgot I got zap earlier hehe
hopefully i will get the pump tomorrow!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Saltcreep

Are you sure it's the pump causing the problem? Any other power cords going into the sump - heater, skimmer pump, anything else?

NjOyRiD

yeah 2 heaters
I assumed its the pumped, i plugged it by itself and the plug jumped, i tried soemthign else, it didnt
370g System

lost_at_sea

Before you kill yourself by zappings, go to good old canadiantire and get a cheap multimeter (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/MultiTesters/PRD~0251060P/Motomaster%252BDigital%252BMultimeter.jsp?locale=en)

Use this to measure the stray voltage in your tank and systematically (one by one) remove everything electric until you figure out what the source is.

NjOyRiD

i put a Titanium Grounding Probe, did the job while waiting for the new return pump
370g System