New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mouth Fungus?

Started by daworldisblack, March 17, 2011, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

I'm not sure what this is. The only thing i find when I look up aquarium fish mouth growth is columnaris. Although it doesn't look like cotton. Just looks like a white bump. Any one have a clue? Thanks guys!:)

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

What are your tank temperatures?
I ran into this when I had rainbows and found my tank temps were too high, I reduced the
temps, kept water parameters good and it disappeared.

I've also observed this in newly acquired fish? Possibly from butting up
against the bag in transit, it goes away if the fish are kept in pristine
water.

Laura

That looks like a minor injury to me - I would add a bit of aquarium salt if they are tolerant, and keep the tank clean so it can heal.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

daworldisblack

Quote from: sas on March 17, 2011, 08:40:57 PM
What are your tank temperatures?
I ran into this when I had rainbows and found my tank temps were too high, I reduced the
temps, kept water parameters good and it disappeared.

I've also observed this in newly acquired fish? Possibly from butting up
against the bag in transit, it goes away if the fish are kept in pristine
water.

I don't have a heater in the tank but am not too sure about the temperature. Shouldn't be too warm unless the lighting heats it up. Have CF bulbs. Yes i did notice this on the female when I first got it. But that was about a month ago. Now the other male fish has the beginnings of it too it looks like.. hmm..

daworldisblack

Quote from: Laura on March 17, 2011, 09:21:22 PM
That looks like a minor injury to me - I would add a bit of aquarium salt if they are tolerant, and keep the tank clean so it can heal.

Thanks for the tip.. its a Killifish species tank so I'd need to check if they can deal with a little salinity.