New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anybody got a small AquaClear HOB kicking around?

Started by Stussi613, April 28, 2011, 02:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

The rolling power outages due to the wind this afternoon seem to have toasted the one I have on my 10g shrimp tank :(
I haz reef tanks.

bergenm

Try taking the filter apart, take off the motor, pull out the impeller, then plug in the motor and put a screwdriver in where the impeller normally goes - if you can feel a vibration the the pumps still good, just needs a cleaning. A lot of my older aquaclear filters jam up after a blackout.

Another way is to leave the filter plugged in on the back of the tank, lift the intake stem so you can see the top of the impeller, and try spinning the impeller - you have to just touch the top of the impeller or else you risk shearing of the blades when the filter starts up.
Michael

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

bitterman

Good luck!  I might have an old AC150 your could use.... I can check when I get home... but don't know how to let you know.

I'm going to be out of the aquariums very soon.

They say our power will not be back on till Apr 29, 12:00 PM   :(  :'(  :'(  :'(  everything will be dead by then.....

Bruce

Stussi613

Tried the advice and got it up and running. I'm not sure how it was possible, but there were quite a few small shrimp living in the hob under the basket. I've got foam over the intake and I would have assumed that the impeller would have ground them up on the way in.

Sorry to hear about your power Bruce...hopefully things work out.
I haz reef tanks.

Janny

I have a couple of extra HOB filters laying around and a brand new penguin somewhere too. If anyone else has been affected please PM me.

bitterman