New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sick Mandarin Goby

Started by markb68, April 28, 2012, 08:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markb68

I bought a mandarin goby about a week ago and he has been pretty motionless for a couple days. I have a 2 year old established 29 gallon salt water tank. So I'm guessing there are enough cocopodes in there to feed him. I noticed he had a huge white spot / shallow hole on his side about half way on his body. Anyone know what this is? Is there anything I can do to bring him back or help him? I'm new to this salt water tank thing and I bought the tank used with the original live stock, live rocks and water.

Cheers.

Mark

brotherluv

I'd highly  recommend bringing it back to the fish store as most people believe minimum tank size is 75g for that fish.  Even if its extremely well established, the dragonette will eat all food that's available within a few weeks and you'll risk starving it.  

JetJumper

Might not be enough food in there.  I have always gone by the rule of thumb of atleast 70g with plenty of live rock to grow pods on.

You got a picture?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Dakotamay

Do that fish a favor and take him to a local fish store or give him to a reefer on here that can house and feed him properly. The rule of thumb I go by is 75lbs of live rock per mandarin to allow for enough food to thrive in the rocks. He's probably starving to death.
I have a 180g with 320 lbs of live rock. If you decide to re home him PM me and I'd be happy to give him a good home. Try to save him. Please don't wait long whatever decision you make as it sounds like he's really stressed out and needs food soon.
Shame on wherever you bought him from for even selling him to you. Unless of course they didn't know what you had for a set up.

markb68

Ya I think he's dead. Can't find him in the tank anywhere. Live and learn I guess... What happens if I leave a dead fish in there? Is it bad for the rest or will the crabs just eat his carcass?

JetJumper

Usually the clean up crew will take care of it with in 12-24 hours. Might cause a spike in a small system like that, but generally speaking you shouldn't see any ill effects unless he was infected with a parasite or something like that.  In which its too late

Sorry to hear about the loss.  Mandarins are cool, I have one in a 120g but among the harder fish to keep in the hobby.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

markb68

Ya I'm gonna wait until I have a bigger established tank next time. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Greatwhite

As I was reading down the thread, I was building a response saying not to bother planning to bring him back to where you bought him - because he'd probably be dead before you could get him out.  I've seen many reports of a "white hole/growth" on the side of fish (many species) followed up within a day with "he's dead".

Yes, as mentioned -  you want LOTS of live rock covered in copepods, and even then it's tough to keep them unless they were OK with eating frozen brine shrimp too.  2 years established tank covers 1/2 of the "guidelines" for keeping a Mandarin...

Live and learn, indeed.  Since lots of us look at this forum as a place to learn from other people's experiences (and mistakes).  Hopefully people will learn from this.

With such a beautiful fish, it's so easy to overlook some things!

Dakotamay

Sorry to hear of your loss.  At least you've learned a valuable lesson that I hope you will carry forward in this hobby. Always research any live stock before you buy it. Make sure you can provide it the proper size home and enough food for it's requirements.
Never impulse buy something because it's beautiful or for any other reason.  If the LFS is reputable and you ask them to hold something til you can go home and research it some. They should. Or even take a refundable deposit if you find you can't care for the animal.
Good luck in the future.