New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae

Started by fortunateson, November 29, 2010, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fortunateson

I've been getting this type of algae accumulating on the bottom of my tank. The tank has a UV sterilizer, CO2, and a 4 bulb tek light

Any suggestions?

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

robt18

The best way to kill it (cyano) is using antibiotics.... erythromycin or maracyn. It's bacterial, not a true algae, that's why the UV hasn't worked on it.

It's really tough to get rid of, I would try to take care of it ASAP though, before it takes over everything.

Darth

yes antibiotics will wipe it out pretty good

sas

Just throwing antibiotics at the algae may not solve your problem, in fact may make it worse.
I'm not a fan of using medications in my tanks.
Medications play havoc with the biological filter.

If I were you I'd try and find out the root cause of the cyano. Are your filters dirty,
are you over feeding?, how is the water flow in the tank, are there dead spots,
how is the CO2 level and what are your other parameters? Are you dosing ferts?
You might handpick off all the algae that you can, do a maintenance on your filter, and do
a water change. Keep removing the algae. But a blackout might be needed?

I'm certainly no expert :( still learning also and hopefully our plants experts will drop in
and advise?

By the way lovely moss growing, what type is it?

soleil1980

it is cyano bacteria... not an algea... one way to confirm is the smell... it smells horrible!!!  I had the same problem and what worked for me... get powerheads to get the water moving!  Also, reduce feeding and light.  mechanically remove as much as you can (with gloves because they release a toxin).  a blackout will kill it too but if you don't fix the root of the problem it will come back

good luck!
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)