New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ammonia spike in brand new tank

Started by Mishtay, November 10, 2011, 08:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishtay

I just don't understand why this is happening. I set up a brand new 2.5 gallon tank a few days ago for my betta. I set it up with driftwood gravel 2 live plants and a 3D background. I conditioned the water as usual but tried using Jungle safe start (I think that's what its called)

Within an hour of putting in the water and Jungle product I had a ridiculous ammonia spike... Forest green reading (I go by the colours not the number) I got this reading without my betta in the tank. I don't understand at all how such a high level of ammonia could already be in a tank with zero waste in it. The 3D background idea is completely new to me and I don't know if these foam backgrounds could be adding something to the water or maybe the Jungle product is off... Please help

bergenm

The ammonia is in the tap water - it is bound to chlorine to make chloramine. This is why I use Prime when treating tap water, it helps to neutralize ammonia.

You can test your water straight from the tap if you would like to be sure...
Michael

Mishtay

I did check my tap water last night when I did the test in the 2.5 gal and yes there was ammonia in my tap water but nothing like what the test is reading now. Should I start it over again? Maybe I screwed something up :S

Mishtay

I did an experiment with the tank. I emptied it and took water from the 30 gal an put the water in the 2.5 gal and STILL got the same results. So at this point I think it has something to do with the background or silicone used. Maybe I didn't cure it long enough.

cdylnicki

Check the expiry date on the ammonia test kit.

It might be giving you false readings too.

fishycanuck

Once you're sure your test kit is fresh and giving you a valid reading, feel free to post in the classifieds that you'd like some used filter media. Someone in your area could give you a piece of old sponge with lots of good bacteria on it.

Greatwhite

Never trust a "quick start" treatment...  It will never get everything out of the water.  If you insist on using a quick starter, test the water after, and then STILL let it sit a couple days and test again.  Then you'll see the ammonia and be able to treat that separately before adding fish.

Mishtay

This was the first and only time we ever used a quick start. We are not usually ones to rush a process like this but we started noticing the Betta was gobbling up the shrimp and wanted to prevent it. We threw out the quick start because it was bought at Wal Mart and we don't know if maybe they we not storing that properly and it maybe went bad way before the date.

I never thought about the ammonia kit being spoiled but that is a very realistic possibility. We got this particular kit when we bought the last tank, most of the products were expired already and we threw those out. The ammonia kit has no date on it though.

I have not been able to find a test kit for ammonia that is not a test strip. I much prefer to use the drops. Anybody know where the drops are readily available? Ive checked Critter Jungle, Big Als and a few smaller pet stores around my area.

And getting some used filter media is a genius idea!!! I could kiss you!! lol That is so smart!! This is why I love this forum lol

Thanks guys!

bt

Try PetSmart.  They've got the multi-kits, and I'm pretty sure I saw an ammonia-only kit on the shelves.  They do have one online: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754009